Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rugby’s future? Private equity buying up players  (Read 2189 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Rugby’s future? Private equity buying up players
« on: December 07, 2021, 08:06:41 AM »
Rugby’s future? Private equity buying up players
Alex Lowe, Rugby Correspondent
Tuesday December 07 2021, 12.01am, The Times

One of the deals that landed Saracens in trouble with the authorities during the salary cap investigation was Nigel Wray’s decision to buy 30 per cent of Maro Itoje’s image rights for £1.6 million, giving him a share of the England lock’s future commercial earnings. The authorities concluded that the deal had been overpriced by £800,000 and was tantamount to income that should have been recorded under the salary cap.

Saracens were punished heavily for the full scandal, fined £5.4 million and relegated for a season from the Gallagher Premiership, yet Wray was on to something. Nick Garcia, the chief executive of Ospreys, predicts a future whereby private equity firms invest in players, in addition to clubs, leagues and unions.

It is not an entirely new concept in sport, with recent high-profile examples in football of businessmen investing in the economic rights of players.

The brands of stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo, LeBron James and Tom Brady drive a new type of fandom, where followers are loyal to the player ahead of the team. Garcia has a vision for rugby moving in the same direction.

Formerly in charge of expanding Manchester City’s global network of clubs, Garcia is a director of Y11 Sports & Media, the investment firm based in Hong Kong that bought a 75.1 per cent stake in Ospreys last year.
Advertisement

His mission with Ospreys is to turn the Welsh region into a “global rugby powerhouse”, an ambitious project he sees being driven by improving fan engagement and creating superstars of the players.

“Will we see private equity start to get into player rights? I think 100 per cent we will. The player management side of things is a huge opportunity. The ownership of those players will be an interesting place going forward,” Garcia said. “Roc Nation, which is owned by Jay Z, have gone big into athlete management [including Itoje], so it is already happening.”

Eddie Jones, the England head coach, recently suggested that off-field commercial interests can be a distraction to young players, and have a detrimental effect on their high performance, but Garcia disagrees.

“There’s a split opinion in rugby right now about whether players should be the stars. Maybe that goes back to the old values of ‘No one’s bigger than the club’. In reality, sportspeople are stars and do have bigger social media followings than clubs,” he said. “I think that’s great, and I will do whatever I can to make our players into stars.
Sponsored

“Rugby needs more younger fans. We are working very hard to say, ‘What do these kids want to experience when they come to a game? Is it club first or player first?’ I can tell you it is the latter.

“How do we build that up? Someone said to me, ‘Would you centrally contract the players in Wales?’ I said, ‘Absolutely not.’ Players are assets, not liabilities, and that’s a really, really important thing for sports organisations.”

Garcia said that Y11 has no immediate plans to start investing in player rights, but the company’s ownership of Ospreys is thought to be just the beginning of its interest in rugby.

Like CVC Capital Partners, which has spent close to £1 billion buying a stake in Premiership Rugby, the United Rugby Championship (URC) and Six Nations, Y11 sees growth potential in the sport and the possibility for external investment to drive rugby into its second phase of professionalism.

When Garcia was approached to become a director of Y11 and charged with “turning around” the Ospreys as chief executive, his initial reply was, “I am not a rugby guy.” His sports business experience had been working in football, F1 and golf. But Y11 did not want a rugby guy.

“That piqued my interest,” he said. “When I look at rugby, it is a phenomenal sport and commands a really interesting demographic — but not a lot has changed. Ospreys is a big rugby club. It has a great brand, it has won a lot of trophies; the URC is really exciting — five countries, two hemispheres — and we are in Europe. Everything looks brilliant, so it should be smashing it. But it’s not.

“I take a look at the Ospreys and see a lot of the problems that were in football 15 or 20 years ago.”

The City Football Group now includes 11 teams, spread from Bolivia to India to Australia and the United States. Y11 sees the benefit of a global rugby portfolio and has been linked with a deal to buy Melbourne Rebels.

“Rugby is a really exciting proposition,” Garcia said. “We think what CVC is doing is smart. We have a sleeping giant and the opportunity for that is immense. Our vision [for Ospreys] is to become a global rugby powerhouse.

“We have a partnership with Wave TV in North America, which is a youth sports site, and since we started that partnership a year ago we have had 17 million views of our content.

“I think fan sentiment is changing, especially when you go global. When I was at City we talked about followers as well as fans. We had 400 million followers around the world, probably now closer to 650 million [at City].
Advertisement

“They were 97 per cent outside of the UK. There was more of an equal male/female split and they probably followed up to four clubs — where the players were moving to.

“We’ve now got a three-year roadmap [at Ospreys] that looks at how we will start uncovering these global fans. It will be digital and content led. Winning is clearly the engine that drives everything.”

Ospreys host Sale Sharks in the Heineken Champions Cup on Sunday, when they will be reliant on “core fans” buying tickets, and Garcia wants to improve both the in-stadium experience and television coverage.

“Rugby is a complicated game and as a barrier to entry that is a challenge. We can educate more on what’s going on in the game, pull out the moments and explain it better,” he said.

“We need to be feeding insight and data. I know that the URC will look at that because they’re trying to drive that younger audience without alienating the core.”

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Rugby’s future? Private equity buying up players
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »
I appreciate that they are professionals, but when rugby players start to be more like Ronaldo or Hamilton, selling their souls in this way, I will not be paying a penny to watch their antics.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »
I appreciate that they are professionals, but when rugby players start to be more like Ronaldo or Hamilton, selling their souls in this way, I will not be paying a penny to watch their antics.

Could be fully with you on that
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 10:31:00 AM »
I think Garcia is making grandiose claims without much, if any, evidence. I speak as someone who supported Swansea through my childhood and finally realised that I had changed tack when I discovered that I was supporting Wasps against Ospreys - perhaps they were still known as Swansea - when we played at Adams Park.
It is not true to say that Ospreys has won a lot of trophies. They did so in the olden days but none recently.
All four of the Welsh regions are struggling financially and on the playing field. I assume that is why they were susceptible to a take-over by a large financial business.
Garcia does not seem to have learned anything from what happened to Saracens with their hidden and illegal payments to players. Does he know there is a salary cap in rugby union?
And it is a daft idea that fans will support individual players rather than teams. Yes we have our favourites butwe are there for the team.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 12:09:50 PM »
My interest in what is said in the article is because of how I now "consume" football. I support and have supported the same club since I first went to a game in 1970. My late mother first went to see them in 1935, it's a family thing! They are a Championship club who have had spells in the Prem, but I much prefer and enjoy them playing in the Championship as the whole "circus" around the Prem and that basically unlimited money brings "success" And it's got worse as our success in the Prem was over a decade ago. And I can't see how promotion is good. Or we end up as the play thing of another billionaire and f**k the fans who actually go - the "core fans" in the article.

It's why rugby - a game where difference in talent really matters - is for me better with restrictions to make the game competitive. I support the club "Wasps" and I identified as such when at the 87 RWC and I was pleased to see our players playing and in training (I was working where they trained which was fun) and if the game takes the route where individuals are deemed more important than the club - I'll probably go back to local rugby and going for a pint after.....

Cosmos

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »

I read this article because there is more than a grain of truth in what he is trying to achieve , he is looking forward, not backwards at what used to be.
What you are missing is that the kids are into social media in a big way, they are not interested in a rugby club, like their Dads and Uncles, they are interested in a player, or a number of players.

Look at Itoje, Smith, Alfie B and the new fast wingers, exciting players who the kids look up to, the glory boys, the ones that can shine on social media.
The ones that have a presence on Tik-Tok and Instagram, already have thousands of fans.
These are the guys who can sell stuff if they are positioned correctly. They are the future, its not about an old clubhouse smelling of spilt beer and memories of fat old men and their exploits.

Look at the kids at the end of a match who do the kids want to touch, see if the magic rubs off, whose signature and picture do they want.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 04:48:28 PM »
I agree young fans like to pick a high profile player to support. My question is how many will stick with that player 8f they move?

How long would a young Itoje fan who can meet him once a fortnight at Saracens stick with him if he transferred to Toulon? My guess is they'd keep an interest but after a season or so they'd pick another "local hero" that they can see play each week (either in person or on BT TV).

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 07:38:43 PM »

I read this article because there is more than a grain of truth in what he is trying to achieve , he is looking forward, not backwards at what used to be.
What you are missing is that the kids are into social media in a big way, they are not interested in a rugby club, like their Dads and Uncles, they are interested in a player, or a number of players.

Look at Itoje, Smith, Alfie B and the new fast wingers, exciting players who the kids look up to, the glory boys, the ones that can shine on social media.
The ones that have a presence on Tik-Tok and Instagram, already have thousands of fans.
These are the guys who can sell stuff if they are positioned correctly. They are the future, its not about an old clubhouse smelling of spilt beer and memories of fat old men and their exploits.

Look at the kids at the end of a match who do the kids want to touch, see if the magic rubs off, whose signature and picture do they want.
I don't buy that argument. Kids have always looked up to stars. In my day it was Dennis Law, George Best, Bobby Charlton, to name a few. That's probably why so many of today's older folk still support Manu Utd. But kids grow up at the same rate as their stars and either stick with the club or stop watching as they get older and get other distractions, usually girls/boys.

The medium might have changed, we got books about our stars at Christmas and birthdays, I even got one on Eusébio  and we all knew Pele, and we read the newspaper to get news, but we still idolised them and wanted to be them when playing in the park or street.

Today's kids might have social media and may get football shirts etc, but I don't think anything else has changed. As they grow up, the stardust falls and they either stick with the sport or move on.

I can see that it makes sense for players to sell future image or other rights, bringing forward future potential earnings passes the risk that they might not get them to someone else, but I don't see how you can build a sport around a few stars who are, at best, transitory.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 08:39:10 PM »
Crikey. The sentence that stood out to me was “rugby is a complicated game and that is a barrier to entry”. Things like that send a shiver down my spine. A few steps on and you end up with the equivalent of the cricket abomination “the hundred”.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »
BiND...
Do your comments on Eusebio or Pele not contradict there statement you're making?

People idolised Pele, not because of the club he played for, but for himself.

A few years ago Real Madrid bought the Colombian James Rodriguez after he starred at a world cup.
Within 48 hours, hundreds of thousands of shirts with his name on were sold.
These mostly weren't Real Madrid fans, it was supposedly Colombians following their new star.

At the moment, it's only the top few superstars that seem to transcend their clubs, but there could well be more in the near future.
With rugby constantly trying to expand and find new fans, it could very well be fans of players, rather than fans of clubs, that are the next growth area
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:11:29 AM by wasps »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 10:38:25 PM »
wasps,

Deserves a considered reply. I’m busy tomorrow, booster in the morning which requires travel and German lesson in the PM, which also requires travel, so it may be Thursday when I respond.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »
The problem is that all sports are trying to get a share of the money that football generates. Everyone is trying something different, Cricket, swimming, cycling, netball. unfortunately there just isn't the same global fascination for pretty much any other sport. Yes some have the same level of interest locally, like American sports in America but there's nothing like football at a global level.
However, you have & will see entrepreneurs willing to take a risk hoping that they have spotted an opportunity that others have missed & will be able to create global stars out of some relative unknowns.
Can't see it happening in rugby myself....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »
The problem is that all sports are trying to get a share of the money that football generates. Everyone is trying something different, Cricket, swimming, cycling, netball. unfortunately there just isn't the same global fascination for pretty much any other sport. Yes some have the same level of interest locally, like American sports in America but there's nothing like football at a global level.
However, you have & will see entrepreneurs willing to take a risk hoping that they have spotted an opportunity that others have missed & will be able to create global stars out of some relative unknowns.
Can't see it happening in rugby myself....

Unfortunately I can see somebody trying it to circumvent current rules (ring any bells?). However like you I can't see it working with club rugby's low viewing figures (and yes it will come down to viewing not us on seats). Also rugby has exceedingly weak governance in place so that could aid someone "trying" it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 10:35:38 AM »

I’m not sure I follow your point - What is wrong with the two examples you’ve referenced?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 04:19:28 PM »
I would also add that there is already a very marketable version of rugby which I am very surprised hasn't taken off more & thats the World Series 7s.

It in the olympics so already is more visible, its simpler, its shorter, the players are all young & good looking, no fat props with cauli ears etc.

Yet with all that going for it, no one seems interested in creating a wider world 7s circuit?