Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v London Irish: Post match thoughts.  (Read 6679 times)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v London Irish: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2021, 02:11:35 PM »
Really missed out not having the CovLive blog, so will have to catch the highlights.

Bit concerned we conceded so many tries, and had Jackson landed his kicks we would have been in real trouble. BUT Irish are a good side, in good form, and it's 5 points to the total so can't forget that.

Another game done, another week closer to welcoming more players back, and hopefully a bit more confidence. Let's hope Paolo is ready for next week as Jimmy will have to play 10. On a more positive problem, how do we ever fit all the quality backrows into the same side when they are all available?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2021, 02:18:35 PM »
Really missed out not having the CovLive blog, so will have to catch the highlights.

Bit concerned we conceded so many tries, and had Jackson landed his kicks we would have been in real trouble. BUT Irish are a good side, in good form, and it's 5 points to the total so can't forget that.

Another game done, another week closer to welcoming more players back, and hopefully a bit more confidence. Let's hope Paolo is ready for next week as Jimmy will have to play 10. On a more positive problem, how do we ever fit all the quality backrows into the same side when they are all available?

You can always watch the full game. It's up now. As for the tries scored by Irish, I think I'm right in saying that they're the top try scoring team in the Prem.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »
Watched the game today and I was really pleased with our intensity.

For me West is becoming an exceptional player, excellent in the scrum, great around the park and solid in the breakdown.

Alfie is amazing, Stooke shows a lot of aggression and hasn’t had a bad game, Shields does need to get his penalty count down but hell does he give everything. Frost is becoming a quality hooker, lots of pace as well. Fifita Is quality. How the hell does gopperth keep going.

We still have quality players coming and I can’t wait to see how good we can get. No one worries me when we have a full squad

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2021, 06:39:28 PM »
I really want to see Odogwu at 13 now. We could do without relying on Jimmy at 12, but I feel like Odogwu at 13 gives us a seriously scary option in the backs.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on our new Argentine Prop? Saw him come on but not sure I saw him again.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2021, 07:13:07 PM »
Far too early to say. He looked keen but nowhere near enough play to draw any conclusions. No doubt we’ll see more of him but I did think West was absolutely brilliant at scrum time.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »
Far too early to say. He looked keen but nowhere near enough play to draw any conclusions. No doubt we’ll see more of him but I did think West was absolutely brilliant at scrum time.

Agree on West. Needs wrapping up in bubble wrap between games!
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on our new Argentine Prop? Saw him come on but not sure I saw him again.

Mobile around the pitch, looks good in the scrum, looking for the steal and jackal. Yes, he will do nicely.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
I thought Wolstenholme was excellent throughout. Think he's secured his spot by upping the level at scrum half, so not missing Dobbie so much now. Gives us more of a chance.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2021, 09:27:41 PM »
Had a chance to watch the extended highlights. Some our attack was unplayable, but a lot of our defence was just dreadful. Oh well, sure Mitch will go easy on the lads

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2021, 08:58:42 AM »
Had a chance to watch the extended highlights. Some our attack was unplayable, but a lot of our defence was just dreadful. Oh well, sure Mitch will go easy on the lads

... Not

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2021, 10:01:24 AM »
I think what stood out for me was that our set piece was so solid. We had them at scrum time no matter which combination was on the pitch and if memory serves we didn’t lose a line out which aside from the offloads, tries and line breaks may be where Frost and Fifita are making a real difference - along with the excellent Stooke.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2021, 10:05:09 AM »
Saw the full match when it went up. Fine game, cmk reffed our last win too it said on commentary.  Thought the team as a whole looked dangerous I attack, and a turnover score of 6 to nil will see us create chances. Some tough games ahead though, but 5 points really welcome.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2021, 11:34:42 PM »
Watched the game again tonight.

I can't understand why Hougaard was not awarded a penalty try. The second tackler took him around the neck keeping the ball off the ground and driving him into touch.

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2021, 07:25:41 AM »
See that quite a bit though, Ref asks TMO to look at one aspect eg. was he in touch then they completely overlook any thing else, like foul challenge!