Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Meiheizen rumour  (Read 3531 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Meiheizen rumour
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 10:20:17 PM »
What about Gaskell? Not sure what his contract status is.

Good call

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 11:59:50 PM »

We may be week stocked in the 2nd row.
But we've had Fifita playing there most of the season, who we probably signed as a back row to cover at lock, and I believe we've also had Shields playing 2nd row.... And a short term signing of de chaves.

All in all, we've scraped through, but it's not like it's been easy
I’m sure I read an interview shortly after we signed Fifita in which Blackett stated he’d discussed it with him and he’s signed primarily as a lock.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 12:14:53 AM »
We were rumoured to be looking at him over the last few years a few other clubs were.
Scotland definitely want him but sure there was some press at the time saying he wanted to push to become a springbok.

Think he’d be a great signing but for the first time in many many years I think we’re ok at lock and it’s probably our strongest area in the squad at present and when everyone’s fit

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 12:47:14 AM »
I can't comment on the academy potential players, but with the attrition rate at lock, and the fact that we have 2-3 'lightweight' locks [ie not Launchbury and Stooke] I can see the logic.

We lack power.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 06:29:41 AM »
What about Gaskell? Not sure what his contract status is.

Good call
Yes, Gaskell has generally been a good servant when he's played and the level of player you need in a title chasing squad ie not quite regular England call up, but he's another one of those who appears to spend more time on the physio's table than rugby pitch.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 07:45:15 AM »
I can't comment on the academy potential players, but with the attrition rate at lock, and the fact that we have 2-3 'lightweight' locks [ie not Launchbury and Stooke] I can see the logic.

We lack power.
Is Stooke a heavyweight? I kept reading how solid he was when we signed him so have been quite surprised as how lean he looks. Has he lost weight recently? He’s done well for us and is great in the lineout but I’m not seeing a heavyweight lock in front of my eyes. There have been quite a few occasions lately where he’s been shoved back in the tackle which would tend to make me think this also.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »
I've only seen that Tweet about this but The Rugby Forum, fair few seem to think this is a done deal. Surely if leaking out now then we might see a Wasps Announcement in next couple of days.

Someone mentioned he had not been picked for the European leg of their URC Tour too.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »
Unusual to hear a Wasps rumour of a done-deal.

We've been flying under the radar of late.  We lost Thibaut and Rowlands last year.  Brought in Stooke and opportunistically parachuted in Fifita as a 6 that can play in the Row.

It does feel like we're a little unbalanced in our Back-Row stock with some brilliant 6/8 options (Shields/Fifita and Barbeary/T.Willis) but lacking at 7.  That being said, Jack/Nemo both talented players and Nemo can slot in anywhere.  Then we've got Oghre who can slot in at 7. 

Mind you, perhaps wanting a series of classic 'fetchers' is an antiquated view.

Edited to add: Wild, unfounded speculation time, but Shields off to Saints (IIRC Shields' contract is up this year) to replace Tom Wood (not announced he's retiring but signed an extension last season to keep him at Franklins Gardens this season) and join up with his old coach in Boydy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:59:44 AM by InBetweenWasp »

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 10:51:14 AM »
Edited to add: Wild, unfounded speculation time, but Shields off to Saints (IIRC Shields' contract is up this year) to replace Tom Wood (not announced he's retiring but signed an extension last season to keep him at Franklins Gardens this season) and join up with his old coach in Boydy.

So is that your own theory/speculation or has this come from somewhere else? I heard this a season or so ago, and still unsure whether it would have weight to it or not.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »
Big lad. Seems a perfect replacement for Launchbury...

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2022, 11:07:34 AM »
Given I suspect the new Bath coach might want to have a clear out at the end of the season (with a few already on their way) I wonder if Stooke will be having a word with anyone who might be surplus to their requirements?

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 11:32:56 AM »

So is that your own theory/speculation or has this come from somewhere else? I heard this a season or so ago, and still unsure whether it would have weight to it or not.

I could possibly see this happening, might want to cash in as much as possible for what could be his last deal. Can see Saints offering him more money than us, work with Boyd again and possibly won’t have to move house.

We know he is massively valued at wasps though, given the captaincy over our previous vice captains, a quality example when training and very experienced now.

I think we have enough in the squad to cover him, especially if Fifita plays 6 and Nemo plays more and have a whole heap of youngsters coming through in the back row to replace a name in the roster but Shields would probably still be my first name on the team sheet just for all the dirty work he does.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 11:38:58 AM »
Given all the speculation/s, I would still like to see Fifita given a shot in the back row ASAP.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
Given all the speculation/s, I would still like to see Fifita given a shot in the back row ASAP.

Me too.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 12:49:33 PM »

+ another 1
Let me tell you something cucumber