Always a Wasp

Author Topic: We Have Lost Fifita!  (Read 8957 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: We Have Lost Fifita!
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2022, 12:44:26 PM »
Listening to Eggchasers this morning.  They (Well Tim Cocker who also works for BT Sport) mentions the news of Fifita to Scarlets and JB claims there’s some confusion and it’s a different Fifita (a centre) who is off there.

Given the press coverage and Lee’s comments, it would seem like JB has his wires crossed but perhaps the situation isn’t as clear cut as the reports would lead us to believe.

I think Lee would have quashed the rumour if it wasn't true.
Exactly my thoughts when I heard him make that comment.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2022, 12:51:43 PM »
He was offered significantly more by Scarlets and we couldn't match it.

Is that fact? (not suggesting you're lying, just not seen that written anywhere with authority)

If so, can't blame him, he has a young family to provide for and we all know rugby careers can end suddenly.

Yes, I can say with great confidence that it is fact.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2022, 12:54:18 PM »
Ok thanks VV, fair enough.
Slightly surprised Scarlets would be splashing cash on 2nd row/flanker, however good he is, but that would explain the issue.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »
Liam Williams will go to Cardiff mid contract from the Scarlets and has presumably been bought out of that deal. Maybe they used this cash for Fifita.

Still gutted

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2022, 04:27:58 PM »

Is that fact? (not suggesting you're lying, just not seen that written anywhere with authority)

If so, can't blame him, he has a young family to provide for and we all know rugby careers can end suddenly.

Widely reported he's on a 3 year deal...so surely there is a buy out conversation, or partial, otherwise it make's no sense..you can't rock up somewhere and then go, oh, these guys are offering more so i'm off..am I missing something?

This is all very strange.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2022, 04:46:21 PM »

Widely reported he's on a 3 year deal...so surely there is a buy out conversation, or partial, otherwise it make's no sense..you can't rock up somewhere and then go, oh, these guys are offering more so i'm off..am I missing something?

The 3 year deal was originally mentioned in an article in the Daily Telegraph. Anywhere else must have got it from there (I believe), though I am happy to be proved wrong. I wouldn't actually give the DT's author much credence as he twice states we are still playing at the Ricoh. So I think he was just guessing as to the length of Fifita's contract.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2022, 04:57:40 PM »
Sara Elgin asked Blackett if it was true Fifita was leaving after just one season into a 3 season contract.

Read into that what you will.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2022, 04:59:11 PM »
Sara Elgin asked Blackett if it was true Fifita was leaving after just one season into a 3 season contract.

Read into that what you will.

I guess she reads the Daily Telegraph (or her researcher does) ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2022, 05:09:07 PM »
Listening to Eggchasers this morning.  They (Well Tim Cocker who also works for BT Sport) mentions the news of Fifita to Scarlets and JB claims there’s some confusion and it’s a different Fifita (a centre) who is off there.

Given the press coverage and Lee’s comments, it would seem like JB has his wires crossed but perhaps the situation isn’t as clear cut as the reports would lead us to believe.

Maybe it's London Bridge all over again. Scarlets think they've signed Vaea but have actually signed another Fifita :-\ :-\ :-\

Well his brother does play lock for Grenoble.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2022, 05:17:53 PM »

The 3 year deal was originally mentioned in an article in the Daily Telegraph. Anywhere else must have got it from there (I believe), though I am happy to be proved wrong. I wouldn't actually give the DT's author much credence as he twice states we are still playing at the Ricoh. So I think he was just guessing as to the length of Fifita's contract.
Referring to it as the Ricoh doesn't alter the information presented, lot's of people still do. I just find it hard to imagine we'd offer such, especially to a NZ  player, coming from half way around the world, who could have likely secured a gig elsewhere without much fuss..as an employee, it doesn't seem that appealing, especially with a family. Your one bad injury away from nothing after a few months. Given it hasn't been reported anywhere that it was a 1+1 and that is pure conjecture, we have to go with what has been reported until confirmed otherwise.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2022, 06:03:34 PM »
Ok thanks VV, fair enough.
Slightly surprised Scarlets would be splashing cash on 2nd row/flanker, however good he is, but that would explain the issue.

According to the esportif reports over the last few years, locks are the 2nd highest paid position behind fly half in the premiership, top14 and Pro xx

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2022, 07:11:31 PM »
My sense of what’s happened is that it’s a mutual thing. Fifita may well have received a nice offer from Scarlets. It may have suited us to let him go as well as in my opinion - with a majority fit - he becomes a bit part player. A good one but but part nonetheless. So if both parties felt it suited them to part any contract could be cancelled.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2022, 07:32:04 PM »
You wonder if we knew this would happen when agreeing quite late to take Nizaam back. A known entity against an unknown perhaps.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2022, 07:52:04 PM »
My sense of what’s happened is that it’s a mutual thing. Fifita may well have received a nice offer from Scarlets. It may have suited us to let him go as well as in my opinion - with a majority fit - he becomes a bit part player. A good one but but part nonetheless. So if both parties felt it suited them to part any contract could be cancelled.

+1, reckon it's happy accident that Fifita is leaving as it gives room in the cap. I'm praying we don't do anything stupid and sign Anthony Watson for example. Maybe we've got a classy centre lined up...

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2022, 08:12:00 PM »

It could very easily be Koch that has forced this change from our side.

You don't expect players of his calibre to become available too often... And when they do, you prudent have to re-evaluate things.

If we had Fifita on a short term contract with cubs interested in him, and we had the option of throwing a lot more money at him or getting Vincent Koch then I can see the dilemma