Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Tigers: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 8718 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: Wasps v Tigers: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2022, 10:40:15 PM »
How Foley didn't show Genge red, I do not know.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1480209182569771015

I admire your optimism this close to the 6 Nations...

I expect there will be a citing.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2022, 10:41:19 PM »
Has any explanation been given for the late Fifita and West changes - my heart sunk when I saw they weren’t starting.

I assume Fifita’s absence had something to do with yesterday’s news - as an aside it’s highly unusual to see transfer news released on a Saturday night isn’t it?

Bobby reported they were both ill - Fifita yesterday and West this morning.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2022, 10:41:59 PM »
If Genge was all sweet innocence  how come his hand can  be clearly seen approaching Hougaard's  face close to FH 's eye with thumb and forefinger  held like pincers, which then contact with FH's face?  Or am I imagining it.  I don't think so         

No - watching on the telly box after I got home you could clearly see FH's face marked and red where Genge had not touched him.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2022, 11:32:10 PM »
Has any explanation been given for the late Fifita and West changes - my heart sunk when I saw they weren’t starting.

I assume Fifita’s absence had something to do with yesterday’s news - as an aside it’s highly unusual to see transfer news released on a Saturday night isn’t it?

In the case of Fifita - Yeah, right.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2022, 05:49:28 AM »

In the case of Fifita - Yeah, right.

I agree, Lee post match said the rumours of him and Jimmy had zero influence on their build up and he won’t be commenting on rumours but I think something more is going on here.
Blackett has always been quite honest with things behind the scenes so this was a change of pace but I feel we’ll hear what has happened eventually.
I love him as a player and as a signing, I hope we haven’t messed him around but I also hope he hasn’t gone full mercenary either.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2022, 08:40:13 AM »
Also listening to Lee’s post match it seems like the way the 9s played was tactical. Slowing things down originally, playing the tactical game and the territory to negate the Leicester kicking game and then bringing the tempo.
A few games ago we were moaning at Porter for being indecisive and slow to get the ball away and then when Wusty came on he brought the tempo. This time it was the other way around.
Both look more natural with a lot more tempo to things, Atkinson looks a great player when he is in control and Umaga is much better with more time so I’m not sure the tactics are completely right but there’s something in there I think before we all keep moaning about our young 9s.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2022, 09:49:02 AM »
Atkinson's interview post match he said their plan was to play it slow first half, and then up the tempo second half. They must have decided it would be best to tire Tigers in the first half and absorb the pressure, then unleash the speed. A very risky strategy.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2022, 10:17:43 AM »
On the 9’s it almost feels like whoever starts tends to come in for the most criticism of Wusty/Porter.

Last season at times people were calling for Wusty to have a shot when Porter was being shutdown by teams.  Going back further, Simmo at 9 when he went through what felt like a ponderous stage taking an eternity at breakdowns and constantly kicking when he had searing pace and an eye for a gap was incredibly frustrating.  That was probably down to the tactics than Simmo himself.

Porter definitely upped the ante yesterday and his passing looked much crisper.  Good old box kick on him too in terms of distance.  Wusty put in some good shots; both Porter and Sam seem to be not mind putting their bodies on the line.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2022, 10:57:08 AM »
How Foley didn't show Genge red, I do not know.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1480209182569771015

I expect there will be a citing.

Doesn't get any better on further viewing.  Thumb and forefinger definitely extended towards FH's eye.  That's not how anyone punches.  If Wasps set out to get under his skin then it certainly worked.
Not holding my breath on a citing because A: England player and 6N just around the corner and B: Would undermine both Foley and the TMO.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2022, 11:25:29 AM »
During all the tension and excitement, I didn't realise that Ryan Mills never got on the pitch!

Did he not? I could have sworn I saw him in the second half.

Watched it back this morning. Neither Miller nor Mills played.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
Think if it had of been the drubbing we'd largely expected we would have seen him.  But with it so tight it seemed a little unfair to throw him back in.  Hopefully, we'll see him get some time vs Toulouse.

Would be interested to see a Hougard, Atkinson, Mills 9,10,12 vs Toulouse with Mehson coming onto the wing for Francois. 

Spink didn't look out of place yesterday either.  Nothing particularly flashy but made his tackles and looked confident.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2022, 12:30:51 PM »
On the 9’s it almost feels like whoever starts tends to come in for the most criticism of Wusty/Porter.

It is always like that. If you have been sitting on the bench for 50 minutes watching the game you can see whats going wrong & are able to come on & look great :)

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2022, 12:34:22 PM »
Only managed to see the first half in snatches but every time I did, I was hugely impressed by Cardall who seemed to belie his comparatively lowly ranking in the second row pecking order.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2022, 12:39:27 PM »
Only managed to see the first half in snatches but every time I did, I was hugely impressed by Cardall who seemed to belie his comparatively lowly ranking in the second row pecking order.

Considering he didn't expect to start, I thought Tim had a good game.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2022, 01:27:03 PM »
According to one of the Tigers' posters, she managed to read Hougard's lips (!!) and he said something very naughty to Genge. That's why his hand happened to land on Hougard's face.

Probably best Genge hasn't ended up playing the military teams I used to prop against.......Their "modus operandi" involved a lot of "chat" and niggle.......always a fun afternoon!

Having played all of my rugby in the military, I agree, there is a lot of winding up goes on, but for out and out dirtiness, the police teams I have played against have taken that title by a long margin!! ;D