Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Phantom Smiter - And changes to the forum  (Read 2340 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Phantom Smiter - And changes to the forum
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2022, 11:23:58 AM »
On Shedweb, they have a heart/broken heart (like/dislike) beneath each individual post. Seems a better idea to me, though I've never actually used them. Probably the software that VV uses doesn't allow it.

The software is pretty limited, we only started using the karma option because people wanted a like facility. I don't mind it, but I know other people have different opinions.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2022, 11:48:35 AM »
I like the 'Like' as it is positive.    The 'Dislike' however is too easily abused, as we know.  But thank you VV for valiantly trying to sort it out. 

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »
I completely agree with Wonky and want to place my on record thanks, but there does not seem much point in liking the comment as she now has 65K of them, and mine would be a drop in the ocean!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2022, 01:13:10 PM »
No  no, www!  Your thanks are more than welcome  and also very very special.  My thanks  to you!    :)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2022, 01:14:44 PM »
I completely agree with Wonky and want to place my on record thanks, but there does not seem much point in liking the comment as she now has 65K of them, and mine would be a drop in the ocean!

I'm not sure she can get any more to be fair.  I think the system has maxed out.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2022, 03:22:20 PM »
I'm not sure she can get any more to be fair.  I think the system has maxed out.
It's that magic number 65535 which translates as 64k. Meaning it uses all 16 bits of a Word (2 bytes) for storage.

Reminds me of a time I worked for a library automation company. A client told me a fine was definitely incorrect as they charged in whole Deutsche Marks (so pre Euro). By adding 65535 to the displayed fine the total was exact 700 DMs. The system had reset the field and kept counting!