Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 7466 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2022, 05:32:57 PM »
Well done lads. I'll take the 5 and move on. Might not have been the best of performances, but 7 tries is not to be sneezed at. Tougher challenges to come but that's 4 on the bounce in the GP and 5/6 overall is no mean feat.

I'll raise a glass of red to that.

Onwards and upwards!!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2022, 05:53:14 PM »
That score line is very flattering.

To be quite frank I don't care. ;D

41-29 and Bath get zilch. Would have been nearer 50 if Gopps had his kicking boots on.
To a large extent I don't care either, not least because I'm in the winning ugly is still winning camp and its a lot easier to bring youngsters in to a winning team than a losing one.

But I'll bet the coaches will be scratching their heads and wondering how to get that last 15 minutes or so tempo in to the whole match.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2022, 05:57:30 PM »
"But I'll bet the coaches will be scratching their heads and wondering how to get that last 15 minutes or so tempo in to the whole match."

BIND, do you not think that raising the game in the last part of the match, with what looks like superior fitness and a very gritty attitude, is part of the game plan? It just begs the question about the preceding period!!!!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2022, 06:03:35 PM »

I'm this instance, I'd say that playing against 13 men probably had something to do with it.

However, like others I don't care, as long as the coaches and the players realise that we got out of jail

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »
backdoc,

I'd be surprised if the game plan is to muck about for the first 60 or 70 minutes to lull the opposition in to a false sense of security and then rely on our superior fitness and strength of character, not least because the coaches will be having heart attacks :)

More seriously, there's no doubt they are exceptionally fit and the early season has shown some great strength of character, even when we've been losing. I think they are trying too hard, as I've said before. We're getting a lot of players back from long term injury and everyone is expecting it all to just click and we get big wins, they then get frustrated when it doesn't.

As we've noted before, as there's no reserves (or whatever you want to call it) games the only way those coming back from long term injuries can get match fit is playing in the Premiership, that really doesn't help when there's 3 or 4 in that position in the team. There's also a lot of expectation on those players, most of it self made.

I'm getting more confident that we're in for a strong run in playing good rugby, once this phase is over and we've got most of the long term injured back to match fitness. For that reason, if we make the top 4 I think we're in with a good chance of winning the Premiership.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »
Just home.

Don't know if it has been said but it was very windy (North to South) and very cold. We strangely rarely feel such a strong wind in the bowl. Some kicks and certainly some passes could be seen to vary in direction. Lads did well in some struggling conditions - you wonder how often Jimmy misses so many kicks - both place  and to touch.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 08:15:44 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2022, 08:20:25 PM »
Excuse me for mentioning this but I've noticed in the last 4 or 5 games  that when Will Porter comes on for the remaining 20 or 10 minutes Things Change. Play seems to 'tighten up'  and suddenly more tries are scored  -  2 ion the previous match and 3 (I  think) in this match.  Why is this?  And Yes it was very cold and Extremely Windy. Also ..................  New Announcer on the Block!!!!   Ticked all the boxes  -  correct names and numbers, and just did everything right, and in very clear tones.   Phew - what an afternoon.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2022, 08:22:13 PM »
Was it actually a new announcer? He certainly knew names so just assumed homework had been executed.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2022, 08:24:38 PM »
Excuse me for mentioning this but I've noticed in the last 4 or 5 games  that when Will Porter comes on for the remaining 20 or 10 minutes Things Change. Play seems to 'tighten up'  and suddenly more tries are scored  -  2 ion the previous match and 3 (I  think) in this match.  Why is this?  And Yes it was very cold and Extremely Windy. Also ..................  New Announcer on the Block!!!!   Ticked all the boxes  -  correct names and numbers, and just did everything right, and in very clear tones.   Phew - what an afternoon.

So not John Dalziel then? Maybe the club have got the message at last!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2022, 08:46:28 PM »

So not John Dalziel then? Maybe the club have got the message at last!

Think it was still JD, also doing the netball tonight.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Connors90/status/1492560303095177219?t=Y3ZEpDrAsF4Wwer5jiNHfg&s=19
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 08:48:09 PM by Chunky24 »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2022, 09:10:21 PM »
Well, forgive me if  I'm wrong  -  it often happens!  -  but he certainly sounded different and I could understand him.   The folk around us also remarked on the difference.  I do hope I'm right now!!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2022, 09:57:32 PM »
It was the same announcer. So poor that he announced a substitution as Bath kicked for a conversion - appalling. The game? We looked like we took it for granted and for 70 minutes we were basically poor. Nice to see Mills back. The value of Shields was seen. Stooke and Bassett were good. I thought we kicked possession away far too much when keeping it in hand would have basically done for them.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2022, 08:57:04 AM »
My humble apologies for claiming a new announcer Shugs!  Looks like I was  wrong.  But at least I wasn't alone as those around us thought the same,  so maybe he is a little improved.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game and given the choice between our game and a 6N  our game would (despite the bitter cold and unpredictable swirling gusty wind) be first choice every time. I wore 2 of almost everything yesterday and was still cold!  So very glad we were able to get there.  Also met 2 lovely policewomen and got into chat as we don't usually see a police wagon or police wandering around at a rugby match at the CBSA,  and found that they were getting to know the place in preparation for the  Commonwealth Games.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2022, 09:42:43 AM »
Only surmising that it was the same guy due to the cock up with the sub announcement as they kicked. Yes, that was about the coldest I’ve been at the CBS. Strangely, it felt warmer outside the stadium.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2022, 09:50:54 AM »
Only surmising that it was the same guy due to the cock up with the sub announcement as they kicked. Yes, that was about the coldest I’ve been at the CBS. Strangely, it felt warmer outside the stadium.

Weird wasn't it.