Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Tom Willis - Machine  (Read 2024 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Tom Willis - Machine
« on: February 21, 2022, 07:40:38 PM »
@OptaJonny
13 -
@WaspsRugbys Tom Willis beat 13 defenders v Quins, the most by any player in a
@premrugby
 game this season; only two forwards have beaten as many in a match since Opta have recorded this data - Nathan Hughes (13 v Exeter, 2019) and Zach Mercer (13 v Worcester, 2020). Swat.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Willis - Machine
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:42:35 PM »
Fantastic stats for Willis - and far from unusual for him.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 08:18:05 PM »
Didn't he also make over 100 metres?

Or was I drunk when I thought I read that?

Jac A

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 09:24:40 PM »
Didn't he also make over 100 metres?

Or was I drunk when I thought I read that?

99m at the final count I think - still three times more than any other forward in the game.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 09:35:44 PM »
Superman.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 11:47:13 PM »
He’s been immense for us for ages now. Good to see him getting recognition at last in the wider media. How good is he gonna be given where he is now?

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 07:03:38 AM »
Tom has really developed over the last season or so. Jacks impact was so thunderous that it perhaps drew our eye from his brother. However there is no doubt both have the talent and ability to make it as far as they wish in this game.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 07:06:42 AM »
Not really sure what our first choice back row is yet but with England, we often talk about the balance not being right.

It will be interesting to see how much better our back row individuals can be when complemented by the right balance in those positions - or does it not need to work like that?
Will Barbeary and T Willis be better in the carry if they have J Willis head down in a ruck more or with Brad doing a lot of the dirty work instead.
Will J Willis be able to pick and chose which rucks he goes for a turn over on knowing that Brad will hit every ruck for him in between.
Will the link play of those guys have greater impact in attack when the back line, especially at 10,12,is more stable in selection - this will surely help defensively too.

With Carr, Youngs in there too, the flexibility of Gaskell, Oghre and Fifita, Morris and young guns coming through we are very well set in this department despite two of them known to be leaving

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 07:25:30 AM »
Tom has really developed over the last season or so. Jacks impact was so thunderous that it perhaps drew our eye from his brother. However there is no doubt both have the talent and ability to make it as far as they wish in this game.
It was obvious in Jack’s first game that he looked to the manor born, he was just so comfortable in the adult game. Tom’s progress has been much more of a slow burn, I wondered about him early on. But in the last 18 months or so he’s just got better and better and better. I’d have both of them in the Eng backrow.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 08:34:05 AM »
My first time noticing him as an individual within the team was the win at the Cheats after Farrell had laid out Charlie. His shear ability on the ball that day singled him out as someone with all the tool and the mental attitude required as well. That was September 2020 and when fit, has probably been first pick at 8 since. Combines being a trad 8 with being a sophisticated back row player and one we're lucky to have.

Can see him as Capt quite soon....

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 09:48:18 AM »

Can see him as Capt quite soon....

+1

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 10:51:44 AM »
Given how the other players speak about Launchbury he remains captain for the foreseeable I think.
But Willis is definitely future captain material. He captained England u20s, I'd have him as captain when Launch & Brad are not available.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 11:15:50 AM »
Mr WW  and I first saw him play when he was 19 and he shone out then.  I think he Captained them -  not sure, but he certainly captained the England U20 and U22; we made a point of  watching the TV when ever they were on and were mightily impressed. It is so so pleasing to see his abilities noticed now and recognized.  He is one of several players who goes  about his job but who isn't always noticed .... until he isn't there.  An absolutely lovely guy who deserves the captaincy one day.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 11:26:24 AM »
Lol tipped him for England call up.
He knows a bit about International no8 play

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 11:47:59 AM »
I see our best back row as Jack, Brad and Tom. I know that leaves Alfie on the bench but somebody has to be