Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bristol v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 4120 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2022, 07:07:50 PM »
Lets start and excuses timeline thread..
First 3rd we blame injuries, second 3rd we are blaming returnees, sweepstake on the final 3rd..tired, lack or prep..
You should know by now that final third is building for next season.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2022, 07:16:24 PM »
Can we keep the referee as back up in case we need an extra excuse?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2022, 07:32:42 PM »
😂. That’s a constant!

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2022, 01:32:28 AM »
Having been at the Exeter, Quins and Bristol games I'd love to know why our nearly first choice pack and Dobby have come second to below-strength opponents? Is it so many returning players and knackered ever-presents being 5% below par?   

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2022, 08:15:26 AM »
Having been at the Exeter, Quins and Bristol games I'd love to know why our nearly first choice pack and Dobby have come second to below-strength opponents? Is it so many returning players and knackered ever-presents being 5% below par?

Nobody can deny that we've had a highly disrupted season. Because of this some players who should have been rotated haven't. Brad's out injured (he's one) and unless Elliot gets a break, he'll be joining him. I believe Joe and Alfie have been mishandled by Jones. We should have had them back for the Quins game as well as Briz and not just in time for the captain's run either. In fact they shouldn't even have been away in the first place. Fortunately we've now got a week off to attempt to recover and consolidate before the Saints game.
Dobby has been off his game recently. Is he carrying a slight injury and is getting frustrated? I don't know but a fully fit and firing Dan is still our best scrummie.
The enigma of where to play Jacob and Charlie? For me, Jacob starts at 10 next game - hopefully with Dan back to his best.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Twickwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2022, 08:26:34 AM »
Didn’t see this game, but the combinations in the backs are just not working.
In particular Atkinson just doesn’t appear to be any threat with ball in hand and then those outside him are not strong enough either.
I know he’s inexperienced, but is Spink the type of player who is really going to be a threat.
For me, we need significant change- I’d go umaga, gopperth, odogwu, with Watson at full back, Bassett and tbc (hougaard, crossdale, kibirigie or even mehson)
More worrying is this pack is very decent on paper, but not performing at all. Again they haven’t played much with each other- but wonder whether we always need a real worker in there- shields, Morris.
Balance seems wrong.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2022, 08:47:11 AM »
Good post from Jac A.

Before the match I looked at the teams and thought clear Wasps win, at which point I realised that we’d find a way to not turn up. Truth is Wasps are currently a mid-table team. We are gradually improving with much of this down to a crop of youngsters who are gaining size and maturity and dragging us up with them. We’ve had many long-term injuries and many short-term ones too. Players are coming back now, showing promise after a couple of halves and we all assume X is back now, it’ll suddenly just click. Doesn’t work like that. Players need time to get over the initial adrenalin spike at return and properly find their feet. Willis, Atkinson, Launch, Barbeary, etc, etc.

Robson is looking sluggish, he was in full Ben Youngs mode v Bris. Small rucks were won, he faffed, Bris arrived and pushed and ball was then either lost or slowed down. Time and time again. So frustrating to watch, everyone can see it but the SH. Then Atkinson gets a set defence in front of him then suddenly it’s his fault he’s not creative enough. I’m just happy he doesn’t look like he’s dragging a leg around the pitch now, give the lad a chance. The we have the likes of Shields and Young currently missing. Both of those were right at the top of their games and making a big difference, they weren’t returning from injury.

Lots of little things causing our mid-table frustrations. We're neither fabulous nor dreadful. Bristol were the better team on Fri, there will be other games. I’m happy that looking at our squad age profile we are gradually moving in the right direction.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2022, 10:33:53 AM »
You spoke a book Beasties.