Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wins & Losses  (Read 2588 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wins & Losses
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 09:55:46 PM »
Not have players visiting mad Eddie’s circus and coming back for one days prep?

Literally only Barbeary and Launchbury in that, hardly disrupting the squad.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 10:09:02 PM »
Honestly those wins we didn't look that great. We were pretty.. basic. I dunno we just never looked great this season. Every game was like THAT Saracens game in the build up to the Prem final in 2020. We weren't that great, but got the job done. Same was those games.

That aside, it took a lot of energy to play consistently against big teams, and it knackers you.

I don't think we went good, then bad. Just had fortunate results briefly.

Stand by it, our attack has been stiff and lacking this season.

I'll add another suggestion no one here's mentioned, I've heard Mitchell has a history over training players. Might not be related to form, but potentially injuries. Sometimes coaches other than Eddie Jones can be blamed.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 10:28:17 PM »
It is a very tight call but I would go Brad Jack and Alfie. Tom can cover 8 & 6 from the bench

Watching the replay of the match, Nemo looked good at #8 against Sale. Quality player with a good rugby brain.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 11:21:38 AM »
For me I’d go with Jack, Brad and Tom with Alfie on the bench. I’d also have Joe and Elliot then if fit a front row of Tom Dan and Biyi. Probably a little unfair on Gaby but I just think Dan is a better 2. I was at Sale but it was hard to rate players due to the opposition but I’d still be tempted to give Porter the start.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »
Honestly those wins we didn't look that great. We were pretty.. basic. I dunno we just never looked great this season. Every game was like THAT Saracens game in the build up to the Prem final in 2020. We weren't that great, but got the job done. Same was those games.

That aside, it took a lot of energy to play consistently against big teams, and it knackers you.

I don't think we went good, then bad. Just had fortunate results briefly.

Stand by it, our attack has been stiff and lacking this season.

I'll add another suggestion no one here's mentioned, I've heard Mitchell has a history over training players. Might not be related to form, but potentially injuries. Sometimes coaches other than Eddie Jones can be blamed.
This mindset amuses me. Any win was lucky. Any defeat warranted. How can that be so. It’s a tremendous run of fortune to defeat Toulouse, Exeter, Leicester and Saracens. Almost unbelievable.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 07:33:07 PM »
This mindset amuses me. Any win was lucky. Any defeat warranted. How can that be so. It’s a tremendous run of fortune to defeat Toulouse, Exeter, Leicester and Saracens. Almost unbelievable.

I'm just saying how I see it. We won some big games but I never felt we were convincing. We were the better team, but we didn't actually look that good in doing so.

But simultaneously some of those results were due to beneficial circumstances. Toulouse are having a poor season and didn't have Dupont or quite a few other starters, Saracens too and they seemed off. Exeter I'll agree we looked good. Leicester I'm torn on. There is a little bit of luck there we can't deny it.

We just felt very fortunate in those games, such that a well oiled machine like Munster destroyed us the following week to reveal where we're really at progress wise.

Honestly, even though we lost, I thought we looked better against Clermont last season than we have for the games this season.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 08:28:14 PM »
Agree we looked good v Clermont. When we measure our performance v Sarries and say they had a few missing we need to factor in that we’ve played over half a season without masses of our top players. Agreed, we’ve been unconvincing but won but we’ve also been the better team and lost.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2022, 08:50:17 PM »
Agree we looked good v Clermont. When we measure our performance v Sarries and say they had a few missing we need to factor in that we’ve played over half a season without masses of our top players. Agreed, we’ve been unconvincing but won but we’ve also been the better team and lost.

Yeah I agree with you on that.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 08:19:54 AM »
For me I’d go with Jack, Brad and Tom with Alfie on the bench. I’d also have Joe and Elliot then if fit a front row of Tom Dan and Biyi. Probably a little unfair on Gaby but I just think Dan is a better 2. I was at Sale but it was hard to rate players due to the opposition but I’d still be tempted to give Porter the start.

+1

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »

+1
+2

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 09:14:49 AM »

+1
+2

+3
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2022, 10:18:23 AM »
.... and another one.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2022, 10:53:12 AM »

I think my biggest frustration is that we've just looked so poor against average teams too many times this season. Occasionally we've scraped through, too often we've lost. I accept every week can't be like Toulouse, where the team were incredible, but some middle ground and more consistency would be nice.