Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Six Nations fixtures 2023  (Read 1363 times)

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Six Nations fixtures 2023
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »
Does anyone on here think any of the following ideas would improve their experience and excitement around future Six Nations tournaments.

1) South Africa joining
2) Italy being relegated and a team like Georgia stepping up
3) A step back to 5 Nations, allowing Italy to compete in a 2nd Tier European comp. Allowing our players a bit more recovery in a season.
4) A draw each year to see who plays who and when
5) Winners play against Southern Hemisphere champions
6) Leave it alone, it’s absolutely fine.

1. Absolutely not. This is a European competition which depends on big travelling fans. South Africa can play with African teams.
2. Only if it's annual relegation of the bottom nation not just picking on Italy and Scotland would never vote for that. Relegating England would be fun for a year and might finally get rid of Eddie.
3. No they'll only improve by playing top teams. Rest weekends for odd numbered leagues always disadvantage someone.
4. Yes. I'd like to see them mix things up especially since England's poor form means you can't rig the final match selection to be the season showdown
5. No. This is a European championship not a world rugby qualifier. SA are welcome to tour in the Autumn.
6. By and large yes but I'd prefer 5 weeks with no break.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 02:30:14 PM »
"By and large yes but I'd prefer 5 weeks with no break."

No break, but also a maximum minutes play per player, so that you get to see the larger squad play, and you don't break so many players.

hopwood

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 07:52:26 PM »
"By and large yes but I'd prefer 5 weeks with no break."

No break, but also a maximum minutes play per player, so that you get to see the larger squad play, and you don't break so many players.

That’s an interesting idea.
I like it.
It would provide good talking points around strategy of using particular players at particular times, whilst most importantly looking after the players.

It really makes sense.