Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour  (Read 16135 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wade to Exeter - TRP Rumour
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2022, 10:45:02 PM »
Bobby talks to Christian

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/christian-wade-wasps-rugby-24115972?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Hell of a coincidence that BB is at Henley in Arden - some distance from the Coventry Telegraph office - and just happens to bump into Wadey - who is on a flying visit - and gets an exclusive interview. Yeah right.

Think he is generally always there on a Tuesday. It is the press conference/discussion day. The articles that come out on injuries, selection etc all come from the Tuesday meet ups.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hopwood

« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2022, 10:55:24 PM »
Bobby talks to Christian

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/christian-wade-wasps-rugby-24115972?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
I don’t want to appear “anti Wade” but for me most of this was a bit cringeworthy. There’s a fine line between self confidence and arrogance and if this interview is verbatim I’d not be touching him with a barge pole. For me rugby is the ultimate team sport. This interview screams “me, me, me”.

Sorry Shugs, but you're misreading the man here.
He's recently talked about the difference between how sports people in the US and the UK are perceived.
In the US the athletes and their character are more revered and celebrated.
He's worked his socks off, obviously learnt a vast amount...and his confidence in his ability and knowledge is sky-high.
It's a typical British and cultural thing over here...to take a pot shot at somebody because they are full of confidence.
You may find it cringeworthy because it's not something you are used to. But that doesn't make it wrong.

I think if you read between the lines of the article, what Wadey is asking for is 'a say' in how the players train and prepare.
The NFL is in a different stratosphere in regards body performance and preparation. Miles ahead, because they have the best in the world and endless millions to invest.

Any rugby club would be crazy to not want to tap into that.
The only thing that could get in the way would be the egos of the current coaching and conditioning staff.
But, if they treated Wadey as a fountain of knowledge and really tapped into that, respecting his insights, then all parties win.
I get the feeling that Wadey wants to help out, not only on the pitch, but also behind the scenes.

Obviously, it's great to hear that Wasps are interested.
I just hope they can find a mutual agreement, because he's in the best physical shape he's ever been in.
He's a bums on seats kind of guy.
He's a great character to have in a team.
And he now provides a point of difference, as his worth can be measured both on and off the pitch.

Let's be honest, every team is looking for raw pace and footwork.
There aren't many in the world that can do what he does. Look what Arundell did to us a few weeks ago.
I would welcome back Wadey if the opportunity was there.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2022, 11:15:46 PM »
Bobby talks to Christian

Hell of a coincidence that BB is at Henley in Arden - some distance from the Coventry Telegraph office - and just happens to bump into Wadey - who is on a flying visit - and gets an exclusive interview. Yeah right.

Think he is generally always there on a Tuesday. It is the press conference/discussion day. The articles that come out on injuries, selection etc all come from the Tuesday meet ups.

Ok - maybe but also a coincidence we are unexpectedly releasing a winger (who plays predominantly at 14?) with no obvious replacement or academy promotion?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2022, 09:24:54 AM »
No need to apologise Hopwood - we obviously draw different conclusions from what is written. To be fair we absolutely don’t know what Wade knows or what condition he’s in or if he wants to have an influence on what other players do. We’re interpreting tweets and cryptic interviews that are heavy on text and very low on detail. For me it smacks of a PR exercise to get in the spotlight and drum up the best offer possible. If that comes from us he’ll probably join. If it doesn’t he won’t. It’s probably as simple as that.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2022, 09:35:21 AM »
Wasn't one of the reasons he went to follow his girlfriend?

If that is the case then won't his plans be linked to her plans?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2022, 09:44:19 AM »
Wasn't one of the reasons he went to follow his girlfriend?

If that is the case then won't his plans be linked to her plans?

Yes and who actually knows! Dragging on too long really. Or maybe just being regularly stirred for some nefarious PR reason.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2022, 09:59:32 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Wade does sign for us.

The season will start and he'll score a few tries, and then to the amazement of everyone, he'll be called up into the England squad and will make it to the world cup.

Why do I think that?
Because it makes absolutely no sense at all, and that's how the England squad is run these days

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2022, 11:10:57 AM »
But of course, called into the England squad as a backrower.....

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2022, 12:36:09 PM »
But of course, called into the England squad as a backrower.....

Don't be silly

Everyone knows it'll be as a prop.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2022, 12:54:28 PM »
His explosive NFL power running is just what Eddie is looking for in a no. 8!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2022, 12:57:12 PM »
Taking that power and his height I would suggest hooker is the place for him under the "Ed".

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2022, 01:00:02 PM »
Gas and go!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2022, 01:19:57 PM »
Gas and go!

Can actually see him being picked as a hard running 12 as Gleason and Jones now call their first receiver at 12 the ‘running back’
And the finishers get re-branded as special teams

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2022, 01:49:03 PM »
Two possibilities here. 1) It’s a calculated wind up which amounts to a huge p*** take. 2) He is returning and it’s a marketing disaster. If we’ve signed Wade get the news out there and watch the season ticket money roll in. Playing wise signed or not signed I don’t believe it makes much difference.

Or simply
3) Putting himself about to see what offers he can attract.

'Sportsman out of contract looks for work', doesn't seem controversial to me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 05:06:02 PM by Brandnewtorugby »

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2022, 04:12:52 PM »
And there’s not much of the season left so we have to find something new to talk about there.