Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More players for Eddie to Break  (Read 8250 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: More players for Eddie to Break
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2022, 08:32:38 PM »
There's no way Chick, Jeffries or Ludlam are better players than Tom Willis
Playing ability isn’t the primary concern for Jones’ selection. He has a weird criteria based on things only he knows.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2022, 11:00:29 PM »
Hope those boys aren’t  too much out of pocket from having to leave their holiday early, getting beasted for a week and now needing another holiday.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2022, 07:39:10 AM »
Hope their self-confidence and ambition is not seriously dented or damaged.  They are all still brilliant operators.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2022, 07:41:58 AM »
Hope those boys aren’t  too much out of pocket from having to leave their holiday early, getting beasted for a week and now needing another holiday.

Presumably they were paid something for attending. Not that would be much consolation though.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
Hope their self-confidence and ambition is not seriously dented or damaged.  They are all still brilliant operators.

Of course it will be. Brought in and discarded - again. Paolo could have an illustrious career and many caps fit Italy.  Do wonder if any might be picked up by the Barbarians selectors.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2022, 08:28:50 AM »

Presumably they were paid something for attending. Not that would be much consolation though.

Do they get paid for these training call ups then? I wouldn’t have thought the RFU would have been happy to be paying for ‘shadow’ players, ‘apprentices’ and all the other randoms Eddie has called to training over the years.
Without central contracts I thought players only received match day appearance fees and wasn’t sure if that extended to non-capped games

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2022, 09:12:02 AM »
Don't disagree with Care's selection at all, but what exactly is it that's catching Eddie's eye now that has been absent for the last 3 and a half years?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2022, 09:20:11 AM »
So that's 19 Wasps players called up by Eddie since he took over as England coach. Eight still waiting for a cap and two on just the one cap.

If anyone wants to guess the 19: https://www.sporcle.com/games/shrekwasp/wasps-players-selected-by-eddie-jones

Good work.  That helped focus the mind on a Monday morning.  One of the last names I got was the one with the most caps, but got there in the end.  Short memory!  17/19

Now for some work!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
I got 18 but was stumped by Tommy Taylor. I'm sure Tom Willis was called up once but he didn't quite fit alphabetically and hasn't been capped.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2022, 10:18:30 AM »
So many hopes raised and cruelly dashed.  It makes you (well - me)  wonder if he ever had any intention of keeping them at all.  Yes, he needs to have a wide choice from which to select  the final squad but ....  it is unkind to give someone  false dreams  as EJ does.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2022, 10:37:43 AM »
I got 18 but was stumped by Tommy Taylor. I'm sure Tom Willis was called up once but he didn't quite fit alphabetically and hasn't been capped.

Likewise I was sure Tom had been called up last summer but didn't feature

MarleyWasp

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2022, 11:52:06 AM »
You are correct. He was in the first squad of the summer but axed at the first change. I've added him in.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2022, 12:26:32 PM »
While I think its all a bit of a nonsense, I am sure the players are all totally aware of whats going on so the idea they are having "dreams smashed" I think is a bit over the top.
Re getting paid, I am sure I read it somewhere that anyone called into the training squad was paid, but looking for it now, I found this as part of a news story prior to the 2021 6Nations.

England players would receive £17,000 as part of a full match fee. Any players outside of the 23-man squad wouldn’t earn anything, even if they participate in squad training throughout the seven-week long tournament. Now though, the five-player committee’s decision includes all members of the squad, not just the match day 23.

So although anyone in the final squad was paid, those who attended training but didn't make the cut, were not.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2022, 04:57:18 PM »
Jones really is a special man manager isn’t he. Still, an extra week of training for nothing at all for those released. The likes of Robson have the added pleasure of being kicked in the teeth on their way out. I wonder if next time he’s asked Robson might be tempted to refuse? Still, it’s all been worthwhile.
Bizarre.....Care? Really? What's he done to be given forgiveness...

As it's only for the BaaBaas game, I'm holding fire - so to speak - until we see the Aussie tour squad. But - too many virtually uncapped players, with little realistic regular Prem game time, let alone RWC chances. I stick with the Saints coach re experience....

But on your main point, it's special....but not in a rewarding way....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2022, 06:15:37 PM »
Cracking BaaBaas team if they gel.
Let me tell you something cucumber