Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 24818 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2022, 02:47:21 PM »
Given the advert is still alive, it looks like they're still hiring.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2022, 02:51:11 PM »
Not good then

Belfast Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2022, 03:04:30 PM »
Steven Vaughan 10 March 2021

“So there’s two things we’re going to be doing, firstly we’re going to be investing heavily in the maintenance of the pitch.”

“We’re going to be investing in doubling up our lights. We’re going to be doubling up on the amount of staff on there as well.”

“And after the first season of Coventry City being here and the Commonwealth Games, we’re going to be laying an entirely brand-new pitch again.”

Sounds like a commitment that hasn’t been delivered.

What commitment has not been delivered the period after the sevens was not due to finish until 14/08/22 therefore there would have been more time to repair pitch and had a level of regrowth.  But although not mentioned in any report this was cut short at the bequest of CCFC.  I cannot see how Wasps can be held culpable for CCFC's change of plans but then again if looking through sky blue coloured glasses Wasps are guilty of everything. ;D

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2022, 03:12:03 PM »
Looking at the photos of the pitch, I doubt is their match will be played on Wednesday eveing either.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2022, 03:17:29 PM »
Looking at the photos of the pitch, I doubt is their match will be played on Wednesday eveing either.

Excellent news - gives the pitch more time to rest

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2022, 04:49:38 PM »

“So there’s two things we’re going to be doing, firstly we’re going to be investing heavily in the maintenance of the pitch.”

“We’re going to be investing in doubling up our lights. We’re going to be doubling up on the amount of staff on there as well.”

“And after the first season of Coventry City being here and the Commonwealth Games, we’re going to be laying an entirely brand-new pitch again.”

What commitment has not been delivered the period after the sevens was not due to finish until 14/08/22 therefore there would have been more time to repair pitch and had a level of regrowth.  But although not mentioned in any report this was cut short at the bequest of CCFC.  I cannot see how Wasps can be held culpable for CCFC's change of plans but then again if looking through sky blue coloured glasses Wasps are guilty of everything. ;D

The commitment to provide a playing surface of a suitable standard, how that was achieved was up to Wasps. The CWG doesn’t alter that commitment. Also, the commitment to lay a new pitch before the start of this football season. Again, how that was to be achieved was up to Wasps. CCFC hasn’t changed plans, other than the first match at home was pushed to Sunday instead of Saturday.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2022, 04:58:31 PM »
Good spot Marley, and look at the date:

Grounds Person - Full Time
23 Feb 2022

Job Title:                           Grounds Person

Reports To:                      Grounds Manager

Direct Report:                  None

Location:                           Coventry Building Society Arena.  Ability to work at Wasps Elite Performance & Innovation Centre, Henley in Arden on occasions.

Working Pattern:            40 hours per week (30 minutes unpaid lunch each day)/full time/five days in seven working around major event days.

Term:                                Permanent Full Time

Start:                                 As soon as possible

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2022, 05:16:58 PM »
The commitment to provide a playing surface of a suitable standard, how that was achieved was up to Wasps. The CWG doesn’t alter that commitment

Totally agree with you there.

Also, the commitment to lay a new pitch before the start of this football season

Where have you seen that comittment?
The comments posted on here say "And after the first season of Coventry City being here and the Commonwealth Games, we’re going to be laying an entirely brand-new pitch again.”
It doesn't say when that would be & clearly given the CWG & the Footie season are overlapping it would never have been practical anyway.

Belfast Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2022, 05:21:39 PM »

The commitment to provide a playing surface of a suitable standard, how that was achieved was up to Wasps. The CWG doesn’t alter that commitment. Also, the commitment to lay a new pitch before the start of this football season. Again, how that was to be achieved was up to Wasps. CCFC hasn’t changed plans, other than the first match at home was pushed to Sunday instead of Saturday.

Sorry maybe its because I have my Wasps glasses on but where does it actually say " the commitment to lay a new pitch before the start of this football season." it just says after CWG but no date! (slightly pedantic) the fixture dates for the football came out a long time after the deal was done for the CWG and they had contractual rights for the stadium upto 14/08/22 therefore the contract was adjusted to accomodate CCFC.  There are always going  to be problems having CCFC as tenants and sometimes the financial gain will seem to not be worth the hassle.  The money is of course the only benefit and extremely needed but I feel with some of the retoric coming from SBT some leadership within CCFC is needed or it could all end in tears yet again.  ;D

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2022, 05:47:35 PM »
Wednesdays match switched to Burton.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2022, 08:56:42 PM »
Apols- posted on other thread. Yes, relationships appear strained. I’m afraid, with the set up at CCFC it was always a case of when rather than if. They are just not people you can do business with.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2022, 09:30:55 PM »

Wasps Group statement regarding Arena pitch – Stephen Vaughan, Group Chief Executive Officer

Date: 9 Aug 2022

Wasps Group statement regarding Arena pitch – Stephen Vaughan, Group Chief Executive Officer

“We were saddened to see that information and stories have been put out in the press without our prior knowledge, and this message has been relayed to the football club.

“In May we informed CCFC that we would not be relaying the pitch. No objection was raised to that course of action then or at any other time.

“The contract to host events for the Commonwealth Games was agreed and signed before CCFC committed to return to play their games at the Arena. They were fully aware of the timetable of events. We were advised that a number of games should be played away from home at the start of the football season to allow sufficient time for the pitch to be prepared, but we were informed by CCFC that this was not possible.

“Sixty-five Rugby 7’s matches were played at the Arena in three days and a pitch, new or established, could not withstand that amount of wear and tear, and then be in pristine condition a week later, regardless of the efforts of the ground staff.

“Maintaining a pitch with two sports on it is always a challenge, so the recent unique set of circumstances has been particularly difficult and has naturally put the pitch under enormous strain.

The business has a number of priorities to deal with. Despite what some may think, we want CCFC to play all their home games here, and it benefits no-one when there are issues such as this played out in public with incorrect or missing information.

“Tomorrow’s Carabao Cup game was moved from the Arena without a further pitch inspection, which is the prerogative of the football club, but I hope they and the officials feel they are able to play next week’s home game here at the Arena.

“We have agreed that an independent agronomist selected by the EFL can come to the Arena and carry out their own inspection of the pitch. We hope they feel it is able to be played on and I know, as professionals, they are aware and understand the circumstances surrounding the pitch recently.

“It is extremely disappointing to, yet again, be defending ourselves against rumour and accusation, particularly as it’s the supporters of CCFC and Wasps who are having to deal with the fallout. We won’t be getting involved in a protracted, public discussion about this, which serves no-one’s interest, but felt we needed to ensure people had the correct information."