Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Michael Lipman - repeated head concussions  (Read 732 times)

hopwood

Michael Lipman - repeated head concussions
« on: September 04, 2022, 03:27:23 PM »
It’s great that rugby is finally addressing head injuries and concussion on/off the field.
However frustrated we may get with red cards, harsh decisions or losing players to the protocol…there is no other way.

I used to know Michael Lipman a bit down in Bath. Go and share a few drinks with him and the Bath team after matches.
Known as ‘Lippy’, he was actually quite lippy. A kind of earlier version of Haskell. Lots of bravado.

But boy…he’s another human being….and he’s really, really suffering in life now.
Suffering because of that bravado, because of that desire to be utterly fearless and chuck your head where others wouldn’t dare. As flankers do.

The video clip in this article is heartbreaking.
I’ve suffered with a brain condition myself for a very prolonged period of time….and I can’t tell you how debilitating it is. Like the brain is in a vice….and you struggle to remember things.
Even basic tasks become really overwhelming. And alcohol gets used to desensitise the sensory pain.
It’s only now that proper information is getting circulated and people and players educated.

But boy…how tough. Lippy looks a really broken man.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-11178345/Rugby-player-Michael-Lipman-tears-opens-horror-symptoms-concussion-Project.html

I used to watch all these players week in and week out…and I find it very hard now to make sense of their life-threatening head injuries.
To rationalise it.

I just really, really feel for the players and the families involved in these awful situations.
And I hope the game of rugby is now protecting the future wellbeing of its players - in all areas of the game and beyond.
Although, I imagine there’s still more to be done.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Lipman - repeated head concussions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 04:08:05 PM »
I (and I'm sure many more)  also feel for you Hopwood.  So very sorry.