Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Big News  (Read 32518 times)

hopwood

Re: Big News
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 04:18:58 PM »
I certainly feel for the fans of any club in trouble.
If you’ve been used to spending your weekends following your club and enjoying the days out with friends…it must be a horrible feeling if you think it could tank at any second.

As Wasps fans, we know this all too well.

So I’m hoping for positive solutions to any troubles clubs are experiencing.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 04:25:16 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
Good if true
Let me tell you something cucumber

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 06:22:04 PM »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 06:22:45 PM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2022, 09:39:12 PM »
Sorry. My bad.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 01:56:03 PM »
Telegraph reports re Worcester

The taxman is seeking the Premiership club’s liquidation at a court hearing that could take place within weeks unless the club settles the debt.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
Worcester Warriors hit by winding up petition
Premiership club says it has suffered ‘unavoidable delays’ in receiving funding that will ‘secure its long-term future’

By
Ben Rumsby
17 August 2022 • 2:06pm
Worcester Warriors have been hit by a winding-up petition from HM Revenue & Customs over an unpaid tax bill, Telegraph Sport can reveal.

The taxman is seeking the Premiership club’s liquidation at a court hearing that could take place within weeks unless the club settles the debt.

Worcester said: “Worcester Warriors, along with many other businesses and most sports clubs have found the past two years extremely challenging owing to the Covid-19 pandemic and the rise in the cost of living.

“We retained our staff but lost income during the various lockdowns during which the overwhelming majority of matches were played behind closed doors. We returned to normal operations 12 months ago carrying a tax liability to HMRC. From the outset, we have worked closely and openly with HMRC on a plan to clear these liabilities and a Time to Pay (TTP) arrangement has been in place.

“The club owners and board are fully committed to preserving top-flight professional rugby in Worcester and have been working on solutions to secure the financial future of Worcester Warriors and to pay outstanding tax owed to HMRC. A solution, which would secure the long-term future of the club, has been approved. Unfortunately, there have been unavoidable delays beyond the club’s control to the final tasks required to complete the funding.

“Having kept HMRC fully apprised of the situation we are disappointed that they have taken the decision to issue a winding-up petition. The club’s directors are in continuing dialogue with HMRC in an attempt to find a speedy and satisfactory resolution.

“We have also been in communication with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Sport England, Premiership Rugby and the RFU [Rugby Football Union] regarding this matter.”

HMRC declined to comment.

Salaries unpaid
News of the winding-up petition comes two months after Worcester were late paying their players’ May salaries. The club said at the time: “A short delay in paying a small number of players was caused by a short-term cashflow issue that has now been resolved.

“Warriors, like most major sports clubs and businesses, saw income streams severely affected during the various lockdowns caused by Covid-19.

“We appreciate with the war in Ukraine and rise in the cost of living these remain uncertain and challenging times for many. As a club and business we are very grateful to the support, understanding and loyalty of our bankers, suppliers, commercial partners, supporters and staff during this period.

“We will continue to diversify the range of activities at Sixways to generate more non-rugby matchday revenue. We are also working on plans for a major project to develop the whole Sixways site which we believe will secure the long-term future of Warriors as a sustainable Premiership rugby club.”

Owner's ban from legal profession
The following month, Worcester announced co-owner Colin Goldring had been deemed “fit and proper to own and be director of a sports club” after he was banned from working in the legal profession following a failed £8 million luxury car deal involving a foreign prince.

Goldring was also made to pay £13,000 in costs by a Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal over something that took place when he was a trainee solicitor for a law firm in 2017. A dishonesty charge against him was dropped by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Worcester said afterwards: “All regulatory bodies expressed to Goldring that they were satisfied he was fit and proper to own and be director of a sports club.”

Goldring added: “The legal profession is rightly held to a high standard, and it is regrettable that failings were found at the firm I was working for as a trainee which impacted some work I did for a client. The outcome delivered by the SRA acknowledges the lack of appropriate supervision provided to me as a trainee solicitor.

“It cleared me of any allegations of dishonesty or lack of integrity and did not impose a fine or ban. The Agreed Outcome that I would not work for a law firm again without the SRA’s prior consent is fair and does not impact my current position.

“The outcome was agreed on the basis I had acted with honesty and integrity. I hold these values in the highest regard and am glad my name was cleared on both.

“I thank Worcester Warriors and the partners and sponsors I have spoken with for their continued confidence in me.”

Goldring and Worcester co-owner Jason Whittingham also own League One football club Morecambe.

Telegraph Sport has also been told Worcester took out a multi-million-pound loan last year under the Government’s Covid-19 Sport’ Winter Survival Package, in which £88m was made available to Premiership teams. A charge was placed on clubs in a bid to safeguard those long-term loans in the event they failed to repay them.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2022, 02:25:26 PM »
Goldring sounds an interesting character of whom we shall no doubt hear more in years to come.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2022, 02:31:52 PM »
Winding up orders with football clubs tend to get treated very leniently - my club seemed to have endless ones a few years ago.  The court will give them time if they can come up with a payment plan (and if Notts County are anything to go by more time if they then revise that plan...and again and again!). Hopefully they can get themselves sorted.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2022, 03:37:15 PM »
wasps were seconds from going down the tubes in 2012. Same situation - unpaid HMRC bills.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »
I don't remember if that was due to a winding up order or because we were insolvent?  I think there is a difference (but I am by no means an expert) in that you can petition the court for an extension / leniency to a Winding Up Order to give some breathing space and come up with a solution, whereas the other means you need to stop trading. 

I recall the feeling amongst the Notts County fans during that period (I would say dark period, but it is always pretty gloomy in Notts County world) was that it was a way for the HMRC to apply pressure the owners and move up the creditors list.  In football, football creditors must by paid first and in full, so a club going into administration isn't great news for the HMRC as there is little left over once transfer fees, contracts etc are paid off.  On the other hand a winding up order keeps the owners focussed on paying the taxes due even if it is over a greater period of time.  As a result they were generally happy to accept an extension and payment plan.  As I say, a lot of summation going on there, and in rugby there may not be those rules in place to protect other clubs / players, which would put a different spin on it all.  Of course I could easily be talking absolute rubbish!!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2022, 04:49:41 PM »
Almost all the leading clubs are technically insolvent, except that they have backers with deep pockets to bail them out. Their accounts all indicate that, and thus the accounts are signed off on that exceptional basis. The second the backer can't or won't put more funds in, they are obliged to enter in to some form of insolvency. Failure to do so is an offence that can lead to big fines on the directors and owners, as well as potential prison time and/or bans from being a director or being involved in the running of any business.

It is clear that for both Worcester and Wasps, that point has been reached. For Worcester, it was reached some months ago. HMRC can be reasonable when they want to, but the second you fail to keep to an agreed plan, they cease being reasonable, and will not come back to the table. You are then reliant on the court being lenient (not as likely as some would suggest) and the HMRC solicitors being incompetent (highly likely) in presenting their case.

The potential advantage that Wasps have is that they may not be in HMRC's bad books yet, but I am amazed some bondholders have not started court action (if they are able to under the terms of the bond). Not all of them will be die hard Wasps fans.

What would not surprise me is a semi rich white knight appearing, who buys CCFC and Wasps. Someone like Simon Jordon, and then see him do something I have heard others say a joint owner might do, and that is to build or buy Wasps a new smaller stadium (which could include the idea to buy an existing stadium that might need some work), much better suited to playing Rugby?

Did you know that the Henley training ground is almost exactly halfway between Worcester's ground and the CBS Arena? Did you know that driving from Sunbury, takes roughly the same time to get to the CBS Arena as it does to get to the Worcester ground (but don't talk about using the train, you could ride a bicycle faster)?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »
That’s some hares you’ve just set running there, NWW. I don’t think wuss fans will be happy, Sudbury would be interesting but don’t see it.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 04:59:23 PM »
I don't remember if that was due to a winding up order or because we were insolvent?  I think there is a difference (but I am by no means an expert) in that you can petition the court for an extension / leniency to a Winding Up Order to give some breathing space and come up with a solution, whereas the other means you need to stop trading. 

Nick Eastwood told me after the Ricoh move presentation at the Crowne Plaza in Marlow. If they had not received an elecronic payment in excess of £1M for unpaid tax, then they would have pulled the plugs on Wasps. And was seconds rather than minutes.