Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Big News  (Read 32494 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Big News
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2022, 05:37:11 PM »
Thanks Neils.  That's what I thought, but didn't put too well.  Much appreciated.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2022, 05:38:27 PM »
As an aside and certainly not recommended we saw Wasps play a game amongst themselves on a tarmac and  oncrete car park in Issoire a few years ago. They were fully covered though. Warm up with a difference.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2022, 05:54:24 PM »
A general comment, FWIW,  about how I view the situation reference the ccfc deal.

Derek is a very shrewd and successful businessman. The one thing very successful people know how to do is identify high achievers to work for them and from what we've seen he's done that with Wasps.

I don't believe that Wasps went in to the negotiations with ccfc with their eyes closed and I feel confident that the agreement will have just as many, if not more, protections for Wasps than ccfc. The fact that Andy Street is the appointed mediator, and he's the one who brought them together, adds to that confidence. They obviously envisaged problems and had a credible solution. I'd be willing to put money on it that this was at Wasps' insistence.

So I'm not looking on at all this with doom and gloom, I just see it as teething problems and I think the road is going to be rocky for a few years but both sides will learn how to get on and make it work.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2022, 05:57:55 PM »
As an aside, one thing that has puzzled me is that the EFL and their appointees said that the pitch is unsafe for the officials. What's the difference between rugby refs and football refs that makes this so?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2022, 06:11:33 PM »
As an aside, one thing that has puzzled me is that the EFL and their appointees said that the pitch is unsafe for the officials. What's the difference between rugby refs and football refs that makes this so?

It was said to be Linesmen ( but the report hasn't been made public) which puzzled me as they (footy) only run half the length. The sidelines looked in good nick after the 7s.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2022, 06:54:45 PM »
Once the EFL came to look it was doomed as mega litigation panic would have set in - especially with CCFC’s owners in the picture. If someone turns an ankle or worse whoever signed it off would have been “battered in court”. So, they didn’t sign it off.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2022, 06:55:47 PM »
A general comment, FWIW,  about how I view the situation reference the ccfc deal.

Derek is a very shrewd and successful businessman. The one thing very successful people know how to do is identify high achievers to work for them and from what we've seen he's done that with Wasps.

I don't believe that Wasps went in to the negotiations with ccfc with their eyes closed and I feel confident that the agreement will have just as many, if not more, protections for Wasps than ccfc. The fact that Andy Street is the appointed mediator, and he's the one who brought them together, adds to that confidence. They obviously envisaged problems and had a credible solution. I'd be willing to put money on it that this was at Wasps' insistence.

So I'm not looking on at all this with doom and gloom, I just see it as teething problems and I think the road is going to be rocky for a few years but both sides will learn how to get on and make it work.

If they had envisaged problems and had a credible solution, why did they appear to be in denial that there was a problem? At le@st one home game could have been saved, possibly two.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2022, 06:57:03 PM »
Once the EFL came to look it was doomed as mega litigation panic would have set in - especially with CCFC’s owners in the picture. If someone turns an ankle or worse whoever signed it off would have been “battered in court”. So, they didn’t sign it off.

Speculation, the alternative is that the pitch was crap.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2022, 07:00:22 PM »
Crap, but probably playable. People have coped with far, far worse for many years. But Robins wanted it carpet like so that his centre halves could roll it about to each other for 90 minutes.

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2022, 07:32:42 PM »
I have to say this, I’m afraid. Shouldn’t Wasps sort out their own financial issues before taking on more expense in the form of players?

I'm not sure not having players is a good way to sort the club. Getting more players in and starting to win is exactly what we need. Along with more conferences, more concerts, and fewer litigious tenants.

Don’t see how conferences and concerts make much money if the last 17 years are anything to go buy and I’m sure this litigious tenant will be in the revenue for version 28 of the growth plan to try and stop the bond holders pressing the button
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2022, 07:39:22 PM »
Yes, the litigious tenant will be in there. To a small degree I’d think. One of the biggest benefits compared to previous years will be the absence of pointless, repetitive legal bills defending ourselves.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2022, 07:52:47 PM »
Bring back a super pitch like Highfield Road

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »
Crap, but probably playable. People have coped with far, far worse for many years. But Robins wanted it carpet like so that his centre halves could roll it about to each other for 90 minutes.

Unsafe said the independent agronomist, so not playable.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2022, 08:32:35 PM »
Bring back a super pitch like Highfield Road

Couldn’t you have found one with the slope?

Football is a lot more technical game and faster now. Rugby is as well, isn’t it?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2022, 08:41:41 PM »

Unsafe said the independent agronomist, so not playable.
Independent agronomist who wouldn’t want to be sued if someone rolled an ankle.