Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Big News  (Read 32502 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: Big News
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2022, 12:37:22 PM »
If there's one thing I've learnt in 27 years as a Wasps fan it's that this club is very resilient. It's been in tough spots before, and lived on.

Whilst the current situation is far from ideal and at the worst possible time for us given global events, one thing I do know is that the club will survive in some form. Whether that's in the form of a Premiership Rugby side playing at a 32k capacity stadium in Coventry I don't know, but having known Derek for approaching 9 years now I trust him to do his best to find a way to make it work.

As for me, I'm pretty certain I'm not going to find a spare £35-55 million hiding down the back of the sofa, so there isn't much I can do to help Wasps, unless I win the Euromillions, and given I always forget to buy a ticket I can't see that happening any time soon.

The fact that I can't help Wasps at the moment or that I've decided against getting a season ticket for the coming season doesn't mean I don't care or worry about the situation. It just means I focus on the things I can control instead such as my health, happiness and that of my dog and family.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »
Well done VV good post.

I'm nervous about the situation but happy for Derek to hopefully sort everything out. Things could go bad but it can get better.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2022, 01:06:00 PM »
Other prefer to wait till more facts emerge. I personally am not going to worry about stuff that may not happen & I cannot change.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion & re-action, none are more or less valid than any other.

Quite right, BP. I always try to not get my knickers in a twist over something which is completely outside my experience and understanding eg business and high finance).

BTW. Great post VV. It is quite clear to me also, that something was in place for refinancing the bond and probably had been for some time. However, something unknown and unforeseen buggered up the plan.
How does that prayer that was used on a lot of serene beach, sea  and landscape posters in the 60s & 70s go? Something like:

Lord,

Grant me the strength to change the things I can change,
The patience to accept the things I can't change,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2022, 01:15:54 PM »
That was advice that I failed on big time, a few years ago.....And something I've tried to do better at since. Still v hard as I've found.....

Fingers crossed....

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2022, 01:21:34 PM »
VV, that was indeed a good post, however I don’t think there was any inkling of further legal action from CCFC leading up to the bond redemption date.

Some of your recollections about rent levels sound familiar. Sisu undoubtedly handled thing both badly and wrongly from the start.

If a company (and stress the if) end up financially penalised because another company has not abided by a contract, is it that unreasonable to pursue some recompense - and none of us know whether that will happen - we are working on a balance of probabilities given some history. I was very angry about the pitch situation and will only see two home games by the end of September and I do think Wasps handled it very badly.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2022, 01:29:34 PM »
VV, that was indeed a good post, however I don’t think there was any inkling of further legal action from CCFC leading up to the bond redemption date.

Some of your recollections about rent levels sound familiar. Sisu undoubtedly handled thing both badly and wrongly from the start.

If a company (and stress the if) end up financially penalised because another company has not abided by a contract, is it that unreasonable to pursue some recompense - and none of us know whether that will happen - we are working on a balance of probabilities given some history. I was very angry about the pitch situation and will only see two home games by the end of September and I do think Wasps handled it very badly.

I think you'll find that most on this forum won't care too much if ccfc/sisu are financially penalised.

The general consensus will likely be that Wasps have been financially penalised for numerous years in having to defend a number of legal challenges by sisu over the stadium ownership

So, while the club certainly wouldn't have purposely let the pitch situation occur, the Wasps fans are unlikely to lose too much sleep over any hardship it causes ccfc.

Unfortunately, this is where the breakdown in the relationship starts to surface.
Fans of either side aren't too upset to see the other side suffer.
That's something that needs to change if we're all to happily move forward

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2022, 01:31:04 PM »
Reading some of the Worcester stuff one of the things that stands out is that Wasps fans in general have absolute faith that Richardson is doing his absolute best for the club - I fully agree with that. We’re lucky in that as not every club can say it. We’re fortunate to have such an owner.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2022, 01:36:14 PM »
Reading some of the Worcester stuff one of the things that stands out is that Wasps fans in general have absolute faith that Richardson is doing his absolute best for the club - I fully agree with that. We’re lucky in that as not every club can say it. We’re fortunate to have such an owner.

Yes been watching that and to say they would like a lynching is mild.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »

I think you have every right to be very angry, Sam. I am sure, in similar circumstances, I would be too. Also I don't think CCFC  should lose out financially. However, with Sisu's penchant for litigation, I think we are entitled to be cynical. But (and there is always a but) I do think EFL could have been more helpful (sympathetic). Their 'experts' would always say that the pitch is unsafe and therefore unplayable. It's called cover your ass. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 03:39:49 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »

Probably not, but during the five years after Wasps moved to Coventry Sisu had them in the High Court twice, The Court of Appeal twice, the Supreme Court once, and even attempted to take the spurious case to the EU Commission. So having a tenant who has already attempted to sue you six times in five years isn't a good look.

As we don't know what the agreement was it's very hard to make a reasonable comment in any way on this.  But let's for the sake of argument assume there is a case to be made about the pitch.

It's probably fair to say that the hottest heatwave in history, a large concert, and the commonwealth games all coming together made the pitch what it was.  If a new pitch had been relaid before the Rammstein gig it would have ended up in exactly the state the old pitch was. It wouldn't have rooted, it would likely have bare patches, and it would be no safer than the current pitch was.  Because let's face it, laying a new pitch wouldn't have stopped the concert, it wouldn't have stopped the heatwave, and it wouldn't have stopped the CG.

But the actual question is was Wasps obliged to provide a suitable pitch anyway?  This is where it gets tricky. It seems CCFC knew about the concert, and they knew about the CG. The heatwave I think surprised us all.  They also knew there were no plans to re-lay a pitch, despite what may have been said earlier.  The pitch, in whatever state it was in, was committed to the exclusive use of the CG until the 14th August. CCFC however wanted the pitch earlier than that. Whose issue is that?  It feels to me as if CCFC were fully aware that there might be an issue with access to the ground at the start of the season, and it was ignored. It sounds to me as if the uproar about the state of the pitch was deliberately created to distract from the fact that the people who run your club agreed to hold a home match in a ground they already knew they had no access to and no right to us on that date.

The pitch quality sucked from a football perspective, I get that.  But do you really believe that anything else was ever on the cards?

And as to how it was dealt with, you'll have to go a long way to persuade me that the discussions wouldn't have been more productive behind closed doors in a way that didn't paint either side as being "to blame". Unless of course publically paiting Wasps as the party at fault was deliberate to cover up CCFC's fuck up.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2022, 02:35:40 PM »
Just to add VV that it's unclear whether the refusal to move games until the pitch was originally due to be sorted (around about now) was due to the EFL or CCFC.

It seems like it could well be the former rather than the latter - CCFC clearly had prior knowledge of commitments and plans around the pitch and didn't have a problem, but the EFL did/do and were unwilling or unable to schedule the fixtures to accommodate and so CCFC have found themselves in the middle with no control over either side.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2022, 02:44:03 PM »
Grendel again?

Magnu Horse

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2022, 02:44:57 PM »
Glad he/she/they has/have gone.

Hate to break this to you......
Midnight suns bid moors farewell, retreats from charging dusk
Mountain echo, curfews bell, signal ending tasks
They place their faith in oaken doors, cower in candlelight
The panic seeps through bloodstained floors as Grendel stalks the night

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2022, 02:45:17 PM »
Yup

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2022, 03:36:52 PM »

The points you make may be correct, they may not be.
I genuinely don't know and can't influence it

But what do you hope to achieve by posting stuff like this?

Are you hoping that we all say "oh my god, he's right, let's all stop being Wasps fans" ?

Are you trying to emotionally distress some fans?

Or do you just want to be able to say "I told you so" when/if it all comes tumbling down?