Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Big News  (Read 32382 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Big News
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2022, 08:44:29 PM »
If they are telling the truth, release the land registry documents concerning transfer of ownership of land. If it shows it happened in 2018/19 like they say, then they're being honest. If it shows it happened in the past 3 months, then they're being economic with the truth.

Don't need to release it, anyone can obtain land registry records by paying the fee to the land registry.
Indeed. Wife works for them, and this is very true. However, might take a while to get them.

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2022, 09:09:47 PM »
I understand there is a supportive article in today's Sunday Times by (surprisingly) Stephan Jones.  I don't have a way through the firewall, so would be grateful if anyone can do a copy and paste job. Thanks.
Here you go….

Threat of Worcester Warriors’ tragic demise matters little to wake of circling vultures
Stephen Jones
Sunday August 28 2022, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

It has been a horrible week, one in which sympathy and understanding were out of town, and joined on the outskirts by humanity and concern. Worcester Warriors have all kinds of financial problems and two owners who have had to deny strongly they sold off bits of the grand stadium complex effectively to themselves. They insist they did it to pay the long-suffering players.

And surrounding what could be the death throes of a magnificent club, there has been something akin to the scene where bloody-mouthed jackals surround a regal, dying animal. Rank opportunism is everywhere. In so much of the discussion and reportage on Worcester’s problems, people have asked if the rest of the Premiership clubs may be able to recruit the Worcester players and still stay within the new salary cap; there have been crass observations that, should Worcester die, then at least player welfare is aided because there will be two fewer games. It’s like ending global hunger because fewer people are alive and need feeding.

One or two fools even predicted that the Premiership would be gaily able to carry on as normal. Sorry, but if Worcester are allowed to die then it will be the biggest blow the Premiership has ever suffered when the tournament itself — for many reasons — is struggling. Can they afford to lose a great rugby club, one with a fabulous story? Because that is precisely what Worcester are.

If you have ever been to Sixways you will recognise one of the best facilities in the Premiership, facilities built from scratch. The Warriors are a real rugby club, they also compete in the women’s Allianz Premier 15s and have teams for youngsters and less able players. They have a spacious car park a few minutes from a motorway junction and a superb stadium. On their best days their attendances are excellent, with passion spilling out all over. They have sold out for the major games.

But did you read one word this week about the devastation that Worcester’s demise would cause to fans and rugby itself in the city and the surrounding area? Quite simply, the Warriors are the lifeblood to many, a community jewel. They are everything a city rugby club is meant to be.

The backstory is something else. They began so lowly that even to play on a park pitch was a triumph. But then, piloted by the wonderful and generous Cecil Duckworth, their late former owner, they thundered up through division after division. Duckworth set up Sixways and his beloved club as a professional outfit. They worked ferociously on the climb, were on the verge of the Premiership for a long time, held up only by a few damnable results and old-guard jealousy.

My colleague, Stuart Barnes, has been critical of their playing record in the top flight. It is no crime not to win the Premiership. They have almost always been competitive and I have always felt that they were three class players away from threatening the top four. I have seen some fantastic games at Sixways, notably the day they saved themselves from relegation on the last day of the season with a performance of such passion that their supporters were left in tears. That in essence is the spirit of Worcester Warriors.

They have made mistakes, of course, in recruitment, selection and scattergun team building. And with owners. When they were last for sale just over two seasons ago, one of the bidders was an outstanding South African rugby man of passion and wealth. He would have retained as coach the great South African, Gary Gold, and was being guided by Ed Griffiths, who along with Mark Evans is the father of the Premiership and all its good practices.

And what did Worcester do? They sold the club to two businessmen, Jason Whittingham and Colin Goldring and kept as coach Alan Solomons, whose record in professional rugby in Europe is worse than melancholy. The owners seem to be not so much betraying a legacy as urinating on it.

It is too soon to have to feel anything remotely resembling optimism, although Jim O’Toole, a sportsman and a forceful sports businessman who once ran the club, is putting together a group which he hopes could make a successful bid. Steve Diamond, the ideal coach for tough times, is in place.

If Worcester are saved from administration then so too will be the momentum of the Premiership. The passion for the club of their fans will be able to flow into the future. Worcester Warriors not a great club? Take in your history, and you will conclude that there are few greater — and conclude also that humanity, even in the baleful world of club rugby, is everything.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2022, 09:51:12 PM »
Thanks.

I’d like to say good read but Jones never uses a word when a paragraph will suffice. (He’s the same on their podcast).

Dig aside, he makes some fair points but it’s all looking in the rear view mirror. Rugby, not just Worcester, needs clear headed  leadership without historical baggage. As a famous singer sang: The times, they are a changing.

And no, I don’t have a solution.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2022, 10:55:31 PM »
Thanks for posting.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2022, 03:08:50 PM »
Thanks. He I basically right, though I winced at the reference to Ed Griffiths.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 01, 2022, 10:12:00 AM »
The consent solicitation for a variation to the terms of the Wasps bonds was promised in August - and did not get delivered.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2022, 11:39:56 AM »
Incorrect Sam. Technically there is no legal deadline.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »
Incorrect Sam. Technically there is no legal deadline.

My statement is entirely correct.

“The board, therefore, considers the appropriate course of action is to seek an extension of the bonds to allow time for the completion of the refinancing. The issuer is now working on the proposed bond terms to be amended and will formally launch a consent solicitation process in August once the proposed terms have been finalised.”

Of course yours, whilst splitting hairs, is also correct.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »
Why raise it then.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2022, 02:38:45 PM »
Why raise it then.

It is a 'deadline' which has been passed. Whether it was a deadline in the true sense of the word, the fact that nothing has been said at all would point to the fact that things may not be moving as fast as the club would like.  The statement raised expectations that something would happen in August, but apparently, if it has, it is only minimal otherwise there would have been more talk from Bond holders.  So, I think it is fair enough to raise.  In isolation it doesn't look great, but other signs are more positive such as the lifting of the recruitment ban, signing of agreements and so on.  For what it is worth I think these conflicting signs suggest as a club we are still deep in the forest, but may have found a track to follow that may lead to safety or to the wicked witches cottage and we will only know when we get there.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2022, 02:50:10 PM »
Why raise it then.

Because I correctly reported a fact and you said I was incorrect.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2022, 02:52:04 PM »
Why raise it then.

It is a 'deadline' which has been passed. Whether it was a deadline in the true sense of the word, the fact that nothing has been said at all would point to the fact that things may not be moving as fast as the club would like.  The statement raised expectations that something would happen in August, but apparently, if it has, it is only minimal otherwise there would have been more talk from Bond holders.  So, I think it is fair enough to raise.  In isolation it doesn't look great, but other signs are more positive such as the lifting of the recruitment ban, signing of agreements and so on.  For what it is worth I think these conflicting signs suggest as a club we are still deep in the forest, but may have found a track to follow that may lead to safety or to the wicked witches cottage and we will only know when we get there.

When I was working, if my boss said something had to be done by the end of, say, August - or if I said I would do something by the end of August, that was a deadline with the expectation that it would be met.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2022, 03:37:08 PM »
Why raise it then.

When I was working, if my boss said something had to be done by the end of, say, August - or if I said I would do something by the end of August, that was a deadline with the expectation that it would be met.

Agreed, and the lack of any announcement is not great, but other news is more positive and points to some movement, which is why I drew the conclusion that it's not a basket case.  Time is going to tell whether the positive signs are indicators that we are moving towards the light at the end of the tunnel, or if it is just a train coming towards us. One thing is for sure, there is sod all I can do about it either way.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2022, 03:55:34 PM »
Too reminiscent of the DW to and fro.
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2022, 04:00:11 PM »
Too reminiscent of the DW to and fro.

With someone constantly poking a subject with a stick.