Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Big News  (Read 32521 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Big News
« Reply #330 on: September 01, 2022, 06:05:40 PM »

For what it's worth, I feel that Sam puts his/her thoughts down in a perfectly acceptable way.

Yes, he/she definitely has a viewpoint opposing most of us on this forum, and that's often a pretty big sign of a troll.
However, as long as the views and points being made are relevant, new, and not insulting, then I don't have a problem with it at all.

In fact, it's quite insightful to hear the views from the other side without the vitriol that it often comes with

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2022, 06:23:49 PM »
Big Plus 1 with Sam and RogerE 

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 01, 2022, 06:25:49 PM »
SBsam this thread was started about another club being in trouble not about bonds.
The club in question is Worcester.

I know, but the thread was titled Big News and the bind default is pretty big news for Wasps, potentially existential. There weren’t any posts on this thread for 3 days as I think the majority were posting about Worcester on the newer Worcester thread.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 01, 2022, 06:33:00 PM »
SBsam this thread was started about another club being in trouble not about bonds.

I know, but the thread was titled Big News and the bind default is pretty big news for Wasps, potentially existential. There weren’t any posts on this thread for 3 days as I think the majority were posting about Worcester on the newer Worcester thread.
Or maybe there has been no news on the bonds for weeks so you post about them in threads where it certainly isn't relevant.
Start a thread about bonds and fill your boots.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 01, 2022, 06:52:52 PM »

For what it's worth, I feel that Sam puts his/her thoughts down in a perfectly acceptable way.

Yes, he/she definitely has a viewpoint opposing most of us on this forum, and that's often a pretty big sign of a troll.
However, as long as the views and points being made are relevant, new, and not insulting, then I don't have a problem with it at all.

In fact, it's quite insightful to hear the views from the other side without the vitriol that it often comes with

Here’s something I never thought I would hear me say - thank you Wasps :)

My view is not necessarily a view from the other side, it is a view without being influenced by an undying love for Wasps whilst having experienced the pain caused by our current ownership.

Part of that view is that many of the potential income generation opportunities that would throw Wasps a financial lifeline seem to be separate, or being separated from, Wasps. This is things like the training ground, the hotel application by Richardson, the formation of 4, albeit currently dormant, Richardson companies having Ricoh/CBS as accommodation address. These things are done by design not accident.

There was money to be made from regenerating the area around the arena, the Arena Quarter or AQ if you like. Such development was central to Coventry Councils agreement to and subsequent involvement with the arena, and the belief that Wasps would deliver on that agenda was a significant plank in the argument to get unanimous council support for the sale to Wasps. Profits from such enterprises may well have made Wasps truly the richest rugby club in Europe.

I know Wasps supporters will hear nothing against DR, but back in 2014 he was saying that he was neither intending to profit from Wasps nor was he a property developer. The first part has come to pass inadvertently , but the intent to personally develop property does seem to be there - albeit not yet activated. The lines between Wasps and Richardson companies are very blurred and that could be advantageous for anyone looking for council support for building projects - which can then harm Wasps image/ reputation if they are seen to fall by the wayside whilst not necessarily contributing to Wasps financial bottom line if they succeed.

Obviously purely speculation and there could be any number of other interpretations but it is a narrative which brings together a number of facts and seeks to explain them. Before anyone else says it, explain could be exchanged for exploit.

To a certain extent, I hope that the bonds are paid off in the next few weeks - it would remove one level of uncertainty about my own club’s future.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 01, 2022, 07:02:22 PM »

Or maybe there has been no news on the bonds for weeks so you post about them in threads where it certainly isn't relevant.

Are you in a position to tell me what to do?

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 01, 2022, 07:13:16 PM »

Unfortunately not I would of binned you weeks ago.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 01, 2022, 08:46:51 PM »
Keep trockin' Sam.  I hope you get to meet Derek some day and then you will understand what a genuine bloke he is.  We aren't being dazzled by sparkle dust.  There are one or so players etc whom I can't stand and they had sparkle dust in abundance ....  Elliot and Fiver for starters.   

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 01, 2022, 09:11:02 PM »
Would also ad that Nick Eastwood (CEO) and his wife, are really nice folks too, and very much rugby fans. Had the pleasure of meeting them on one of the very few visits to the Ricoh I've managed. His wife was very excited to spread the news of the Quins vs saints (I think) game, the one where the clock was in the red, Quins held the lead, but Botica inexplicably kicked the ball infield rather than off the pitch.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 01, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »

Unfortunately not I would of binned you weeks ago.
Have

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2022, 09:36:35 PM »
I think VV you are being taken for a ride here.

No more, IMO.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 01, 2022, 09:42:21 PM »
Raggs - totally agree.

hopwood

« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2022, 09:43:24 PM »
I'm quite happy with Sam's contributions.
He writes words...and its other people who add meaning (and it seems annoyance) to those words.

As Peter Crone says..."life presents you with people and circumstances to reveal where you are not free"
If people didn't react to opposing opinions....then there would be no issue.
It's a choice.

Don't click on the topic 'Big News' if you don't want to read Sam's alternative views and considerations.
For me...it's all healthy debate, which is a good thing. Take it or leave it.

And like everyone else, I'm hoping for a healthy outcome sooner rather than later.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2022, 10:03:12 PM »
What debate is Sam starting? It seems to be just a straightforward listing of a fact such as “I see the bond hasn’t been repaid”. Personally I’m happy for him to post till the cows come home - it’s his time.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 01, 2022, 10:05:20 PM »
Can I, as a bond holder, make an interjection?

Basically they missed the repayment termination date, but at least I am still getting a return at an interest rate  that many others can only dream about.

I don't need the capital amount for anything urgent, so am more than happy to let them take as long as they like to sort the fine details of the new arrangement out. Ok some others might be in a situation where they need the money, but as I was once told "don't invest in anything that is handled by the stock exchange unless you are prepared to lose the investment"

Yes it seems a bit of an awkward situation, but what with COVID etc. I am not surprised about the situation.

As a Wasp fan, it’s unsurprising and indeed laudable that you take that view. However, many other bondholders took the view, on investing, that there were cast iron securities in the form of the arena (head lease) which would always have some significant value, and also all the share capital in ACL and ACL2006 - whose value could fluctuate more widely. There still isn’t an expectation from them that they will lose their investments, it will be how long they are prepared to wait, and under what conditions they are expected to wait, that will be the issue for Wasps. At the moment they seem prepared to give some limited additional time for Wasps - and if refinancing has been arranged I am sure they, and you, will be happy to get their investment back.