Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester  (Read 25300 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester
« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2022, 11:36:21 AM »
Agree VV. The one statement that has worried me most in this whole thing was Dallaglio pre Bath pushing for no relegation if we go into administration. Without knowing my reading of the events is that in Spring and early summer a deal was “done” but for whatever reason fell through. Since then we’ve been trying to cobble something together. I think we’re now reliant on someone/thing seeing potential in the stadium etc who also has an interest in the game. What I can’t figure out is why you would buy as it is or wait for administration to pick something up cheaper - which comes back to LD’s plea for no relegation if admin happens.
l'm very much on the same page. Whilst my experience of deals suggests that a lack of news means v little,  the Lol stuff is a concern. He must have an inside view and is doing "rugby politics ", of the sort that you do when optimism is fading. I guess we do need a benefactor........

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »
Agree VV. The one statement that has worried me most in this whole thing was Dallaglio pre Bath pushing for no relegation if we go into administration. Without knowing my reading of the events is that in Spring and early summer a deal was “done” but for whatever reason fell through. Since then we’ve been trying to cobble something together. I think we’re now reliant on someone/thing seeing potential in the stadium etc who also has an interest in the game. What I can’t figure out is why you would buy as it is or wait for administration to pick something up cheaper - which comes back to LD’s plea for no relegation if admin happens.
l'm very much on the same page. Whilst my experience of deals suggests that a lack of news means v little,  the Lol stuff is a concern. He must have an inside view and is doing "rugby politics ", of the sort that you do when optimism is fading. I guess we do need a benefactor........

+1

I fear that tomorrow's journey may well be the last to the CBSA. I can't see why anyone would invest at this moment.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »

Well the deal with HSBC was far advanced enough that Wasps were allowed to make it public, and then for whatever reason they backed out. I suspect the forthcoming financial depression has made them very twitchy.

My worry is that nobody sees the value in the Wasps brand, and that the amount of money needed to save the club exceeds the potential cost of creating a whole new brand for the combined assets. If that's the case, and we have no hitherto unknown pile of ready cash at our disposal, then the club is doomed.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2022, 02:34:36 PM »
Hey folks,
Please don't forget that the current Wasps was split-off from the Wasps, amateur Club that still exists and operates from Ealing Common. It is thee that the Ladies side operates from as well.

IF we go under, then the heritage and DNA still exists.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2022, 10:03:54 AM »
I would imagine its too early to say TBT. Who knows how many other clubs may be in financial difficulties & may end up relegated.
IMO if Wasps do get relegated they may not survive at all.
What we know as Wasps now may not survive but I think Wasps is more than location based team, its an idea embodied by the phrase: Once a Wasp, always a Wasp. It is not London Wasps, Wycombe Wasps or even Worcester Wasps, it is just Wasps.

If it gets relegated out of its current existence I'm sure some group of fans and players will pick up the pieces and start again at the lowest level needed. Perhaps playing at Primrose Hill or Merchant Taylors (I've played cricket there, lovely setting) as an invitational team, initially.

No need for anyone to pick up the pieces and start again at the lowest level.

As RogerE says, the original Wasps club still exists, together with all those intangibles you mention and over 150 years of history.  The professional outfit broke away in 1996 and the 2 clubs have continued to operate with that shared history and heritage.  If the pro team goes to the wall, then we will be back to just one.

Currently playing in Counties 2 Herts/Middx (8th tier).

https://www.englandrugby.com/fixtures-and-results/search-results?competition=261&division=39116&season=2022-2023#fixtures

Home games at Twyford Avenue, Acton (where the pros also used to train).  Home games the next 2 Saturdays for anyone interested.

Can't say I follow their fortunes that closely, but from results so far this season, it looks like something of a 2 tier league with some absolute thumpings, but some more competitive games between those on a par with each other.  This may well be to do with the major RFU rejig of the community game ahead of the current season where teams may take a season or 2 to find an appropriate level.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2022, 11:31:10 AM »
Well the deal with HSBC was far advanced enough that Wasps were allowed to make it public, and then for whatever reason they backed out. I suspect the forthcoming financial depression has made them very twitchy.

Of course the truth maybe that Wasps were not allowed to name HSBC in their press release as the deal was not yet done. The deal didn't go ahead after all. Given how well we manage every other part of the business it wouldn't surprise me if we named a party to a deal without their prior approval.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2022, 01:28:24 PM »

Of course the truth maybe that Wasps were not allowed to name HSBC in their press release as the deal was not yet done. The deal didn't go ahead after all. Given how well we manage every other part of the business it wouldn't surprise me if we named a party to a deal without their prior approval.

No, we were allowed.  I had that from the highest level.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2022, 01:44:15 PM »
Naming no names obviously, are you able to explain the ins and out of this VV??  I quite understand if this isn't possible.