Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who are you really?  (Read 73738 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you really?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
That is awesome. I'd love one of them!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
Since I know there's some fellow work from home types, just wanted to show off my latest purchase:

Wanted a sit/stand desk. Was looking at the cheapest option, which is IKEA, hand crank design, with 30kg weight limit. Found this one, electric motor, 100kg limit, better desk size. £420, reduced to £209, reduced again by 24% with a voucher to bring it down to £160 and free delivery. That's cheaper than the Ikea one was (and a good price for a fair few normal desks!).

Have you got the details? Including details of the voucher code?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

DuncanS

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »
Just to continue the theme, I’m half Scottish (dad was from Glasgow), but I’ve recently learned I hail from the same Clan as Donald Trump, so let’s drop it. I’m 48, and live in Spalding, south Lincolnshire, with my wife and 6 year old daughter. Started following Wasps scores on Grandstand when I was 18 and in to W.A.S.P., the rock band. Then went to University in North London (Hendon) and started going to watch Wasps at Sudbury in 1995. Played scrum half for the Wasps Supporters Team against Sedgley Park in 1999, and this is probably where the Drunken Wasps started. Been a season ticket holder at Loftus Road and Adams Park, but only get to the Ricoh four or five times a season.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »
Well, I’ve finally come over too as the DW site just gets too frustrating when it is down or just too negative at times.

I’m Jon, fan since the Pilkington Cup final in 1995 where I went for a school trip, as much as I loved seeing Guscott and the star names at Bath I was rooting for Wasps as the underdog and back then Rob Andrew was likeable.
Moving on it to adulthood living in Kent and having a young family it was tricky to get to games in terms of money and distance but we got to Adams park a few times a year, did the London away A League games on Monday nights and have since tried to get to the Ricoh a few times.
Over the last two years I’ve been working for the MOD out in the Falkland Islands so getting to games is tricky and due to the dodgey internet here I cannot stream games from bet365 when we’re not on tv. BFBS sports channels usually show the bt and sky rugby games so keep up to date as much as I can.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »
I'm Jon.

I've been a Wasps supporter since the late 70s. I started going to Sudbury in the 80s after I fell out of love with going to football. I only went periodically, to be honest, but they were my local club.

Once the club moved to Shepherds Bush I became a more frequent visitor, ending up with a season ticket. It was very handy for me, I could go into the office on a Sunday morning and pretend to do some work, then pop across central London to Loftus Road.

I went a couple of times to Wycombe but, to be honest, it was a horrible journey. It also co-incided with a period of my life when I was either working my nuts off or travelling the world, neither of which was conducive to regular attendance. My games were limited to Twickenham appearances.

Since the move to Coventry I have no desire to travel that far.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2019, 12:46:37 PM »
Hi JF. I remember you well from Loftus Road. Hope you are keeping well.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Wilberforce

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2019, 06:47:22 AM »
Hello. My name is Will. Have followed Wasps in a gentle way since roughly the start of professionalism, so caught one or two names from the old days at Loftus Road. Living in Chiswick I had a choice of many nearby clubs and was just (glorious) luck that I ended at Wasps. Used to be a short fat winger in a junior team at Rosslyn Park, quit 23 years ago, but now somehow find I am short fat loosehead for the Wasps FC Occasionals. Like a few on here I ride a motorcycle and have done the occasional ride to the Ricoh with Chilham and others. Two kids, working in City but retirement beckoning fairly forcefully. Extremely short legs.

waspymatt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »
I'm Matt, nearly 42 years old and started following Wasps at Sudbury at 1986 when my Grandfather introduced me to them.  He had been a Wasps fan since the 1950's and was a Life Member of the club and used to work the gate at Repton Avenue.  The entire family are Wasps fans and were season ticket holders at Sudbury, Loftus Road and Adams Park.  The move from Adams Park to Coventry coincided with the arrival of my first born so trips to the Ricoh have been limited.  Just as he is at an age where we could start to travel to games, sprog number 2 is due for arrival in the next few weeks, so that's put an end to that!!!

maire23

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
Hi everyone
I’m Andrea. I live in deepest darkest Leicestershire (unfortunately) with hubby to be who is a Tiggers fan (even more unfortunately :D) I’m 38 and originally from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where I used to cover the Falcons matches as a member of St Johns Ambulance in the days when Falcons were actually quite good :D I’m a full time student, studying Sports Science and Psychology- my special interest is the psychology behind rugby injuries.
I’m actually a season ticket holder at Nottingham Rugby- however I sponsored Tom West for two seasons when he was with us and so I went to a few Wasps matches that he played in that time (Anglo Welsh cup, A-League and when he made his full debut against Saracens)
I was quite impressed with what I saw in Wasps as a team at that time and with the dislike of Tigers that had developed by then I decided to stick around. I don’t get to as many games as I would like (I’m physically disabled and don’t drive so it can be a bit much for me to cope with) but I always keep an eye on the result. Last game for me was the A-League game against Tigers at Welford Road, and last league game was the match v Saracens at the Allianz when the loanee prop that was on the bench was the player that I happen to be sponsoring this season at Nottingham :D

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
John Gibson.

ST holder from Day 1 at HW and continued through to the Ricoh. The boss also had a ST at HW but gave it up due to illness and the move to Coventry.

Played rugby for over 35 years at local level. Primarily at HW and Marlow. Gave up when the linament didn't work any more!!

Heading for three score and ten next month and not really looking forward to it! Resident in Flackwell Heath for all bar 3 years when we first got married in '72. Been retired since 2002 and in my former life, I worked at Mars, primarily in R&D across the packaging. product and process disciplines. Also a property owner in NW France, in the Mayenne departement since 1991. Have been an active Freemason since 1996.

Got to know a few members of the DW and this site - VV, BG, OG and NWW to name but four. (VV and I belong to the same boys club!)

Given my scientific and analytical background, I tend to wear the reality hat most of the time. Yes, I know it stirs up debate at times!

We all have the same interest at heart - our beloved club.

#COYW
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:42:56 PM by Heathen »

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
No photo because I would not wish to frighten the children.

I am a retired lawyer.  I was born in London and bar a few years have lived and worked there all my life.

Married 43 years, three children and three grandchildren (all girls so far) with another baby on the way.  When not watching rugby, listening to music and playing golf, Chess and Bridge I am a perfect trampoline and punchbag for the girls.  Isn't that what granddads are for?

Played rugby at school and University and then afterwards until a ruptured ACL put an end to the fun at age 27.  New knee and two new hips, three back operations and a snapped achilles since 2006 mean my body is trying to tell me something.

I have been a Wasps supporter and ST holder since about 1998, having before that been an avid Blackheath supporter.  I miss very few matches, travelling up from Kent with a chum, also a ST holder. Went on the Lions Tours in 2001 and 2005 and to the World Cups in 1999, 2003 (yes, I was there at the Final!), 2007 and, of course, 2015.  I have a very understanding and supportive wife!

I really like to hear the views of others but don't like it when rudeness or politics creep into posts.  I am afraid that, like so many rugby enthusiasts, I can be a tad self-opinionated at times.

1978 Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
Started watching Wasps in Sudbury when I moved to Harrow, yes in 1978.
Played at school and then for a couple of years afterwards.
Have been a member, STH etc since then despite living in Birmingham for 12 years, then East London, then Kent. It was quicker to get to Adams Park from Birmingham than from E London. Reckon I have been present whenever they have won something as well as the low times. Introduced my wife to rugby, she also became an STH so she could get regular viewings of Worsley and Lewsey. 2003/4 season was the best so far. Was in Sydney for the RWC win, then Dublin for Heineken semi win against Munster (wife was 7 months pregnant for that one but still went) and then the final against Toulouse (oh and son born a few weeks later)
Moved to Singapore in August, got job offer after renewing ST. So whilst I used to enjoy the trip up to the Ricoh much more than Adams Park, not been this season as the 13,000 mile round trip is a bit much, but have watched most games live on Rugby Pass.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »
Real name Peter Jones - no relation to the shop nor the Dragons Den man.

Brought up in South Wales, went to a school that only played rugby, and where I supported Swansea/All Whites/Ospreys - until the day they played Wasps (at Loftus Road or Adams Park?) where I discovered that my loyalty had changed! Worked in Coventry for a couple of years and watched Duckham and Rossborough, listening to the great chant "set them alight Cov".

Supported Wasps since 1989 when I took my 9 year old son to Sudbury. Oddest memory there was arrending a postponed match after the end of the season and the temporary grand stand with half a dozen rows including my seat had gone away to the next rentee. Followed to Loftus Road - and bought some Loftus Road plc shares, then to Adams Park and now occasionally to the Ricoh. Had 3 season tickets for a while until my children moved away. Used to live in Chesham, now in Berkhamsted.

First overseas trip was to the great match against Munster in Dublin. Since then weekends with my partner in Bayonne, Toulon and La Rochelle which helped convert her to rugby. Sadly she died in September.

First match will be at Bristol in February staying with a Bristol STH and surrounded by Bristol STHs. They are a friendly bunch - I must remember not to drink the same as they do at the three pubs we stop at on the way to the match.

I set up my own management consultancy in 1989 and claim that I am still worked, despite age & breaking my ankle nearly 3 months ago.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:52 AM »
Backdoc = Lester. Live and work in Harrow [and St John's Wood]. Started supporting Wasps when I worked at Northwick Park Hospital in the 1980's and drove past the Sudbury ground every day. STH since the onset of the Professional game.

I deal with a number of sports professionally, and worked with Sarries for a decade. Currently working with England Cricket and deal with most of the county academy/professional players with back problems that need surgery. I get players from NZ, Aus and India as well.

I have been at all of Wasps Professional Finals, one as a Sarries guest! Two SA Lions tours [and will be at the next one]. I receive hospitality for one or two England games per season [and introduced Joe Launchbury to my 2007 Drunken Wasps European Tour shirt after the NZ game in November] but Wasps trump England for me.

Motorcyclist for 30 years, and have a house in SW France in the middle of rugby/foix gras/red wine and Armagnac country near Agen. Hoping that a Gascon diet will keep me fit and alive until I am 100 but the evidence suggests otherwise.