Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who are you really?  (Read 73913 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you really?
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »
As a fellow yorkshireman living in the south (I like to think of myself as a missionary) welcome to the forums.

North Dorset is a lovely part of the world, I have spent a lot of time there.

Thanks.

I'm trying to educate them but most round here get a nose bleed if you suggest going North of the A303.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2020, 02:39:23 PM »
I’m Kristinn. I’m originally from Sussex, schooled in Surrey and Hertfordshire (so very fortunate to have not become a Quins or a Salaries man), and went to university in London and Birmingham. My time supporting Wasps goes back to the 97/98 season when I started working in London after graduation. I started out that year with membership before moving onto a season ticket the following year (£95 all in — those were the days). And I continued with a season ticket until the move to Adams Park, sitting with or close to a couple of earlier posters in this thread (JF and RossM).

During that time I managed to land myself on crutches for the 4th time in 5 years playing rugby — hence the nickname Skippy. As all the injuries had happened on the same leg, I quit playing lest I end up running in circles. Luck (and talent) were clearly lacking on the pitch.

I also became a regular DW tourist where I will have shared a beer or session with others posting or names dropped here — Fats, DuncanS and Sleepy Pete amongst others. Talking of DWs — I’ve been waiting a while to join this site (the other place has been dire for such a long time), so thanks to Vespa Vulgaris for sorting that one and digging my details out of the ether.

I did get to High Wycombe reasonably regularly for the first couple of seasons until I moved to Abu Dhabi. Obviously I attended the very forgettable game against Quins that was played in Abu Dhabi; even walking to the game from my flat.

I returned a couple of years ago, to take up a job in Coventry of all places — all places as in the Wasps coincidence, not a comment on Coventry. I now live in Leamington Spa — clearly having gone through a similar decision making process as a number of players that relocated up here. And, unlike a certain person, I’ve yet to tempted away with job offers in London and the need to purchase a “briefcase”.

In my time back, I’ve only made it to the Ricoh a small number of times — all of which have been through corporate freebies or community tickets. Getting settled in with the family, buying a house and decorating it top to bottom have absorbed a lot of my time instead. That said, I’m heading there on 7 March for the Glozzer game and will be staying on to watch the England match afterwards. So, hopefully will see some of the old faces there and get to meet some new faces as well.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
Hi Chris (or as I now know Kris). Remember you well from Loftus Road. Nice to see you here. All the best. Ross.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
Hello everyone.... I'm Gill Haywood aka Wonkywasp. Age 2and a half when WW2 began,  now very old. Proud wife and mum, tho' several mistakes have been made (they shall be nameless …… except for the Sarries Board)  by folk thinking I'm a bloke.  I lived  in Virginia Water, Maidenhead, High Wycombe,  Gt. Kingshill. Paisley and Helston (Fleet Air Arm, 4 years), London  (teaching  Special Needs) (15 yrs), Windsor (18 yrs, mum and playgroup leader) ,  Clodock (15 yrs, volunteer worker for Age Concern)  and Wasp Watching) for about 30 yeas. Saw my first match 13 years ago - worried that I might not actually like it after all, but fell inn love with it in ten minutes. I own about 18 match play shirts and James Cannons shorts …. DON'T ASK. Called myself Wonky  as I have Parkinson-like symptom due to damaged basal ganglia during an operation, plus a newly-acquired scoliosis a bit like Richard lll. Have sponsored 6 players, inc Billy,, Guy for 5 years,  Tom Willis  and Will Porter. Away now to cook lunch for Sir and me. Bye.     

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2020, 09:33:26 AM »
Hello everyone.... I'm Gill Haywood aka Wonkywasp. Age 2and a half when WW2 began,  now very old. Proud wife and mum, tho' several mistakes have been made (they shall be nameless …… except for the Sarries Board)  by folk thinking I'm a bloke.  I lived  in Virginia Water, Maidenhead, High Wycombe,  Gt. Kingshill. Paisley and Helston (Fleet Air Arm, 4 years), London  (teaching  Special Needs) (15 yrs), Windsor (18 yrs, mum and playgroup leader) ,  Clodock (15 yrs, volunteer worker for Age Concern)  and Wasp Watching) for about 30 yeas. Saw my first match 13 years ago - worried that I might not actually like it after all, but fell inn love with it in ten minutes. I own about 18 match play shirts and James Cannons shorts …. DON'T ASK. Called myself Wonky  as I have Parkinson-like symptom due to damaged basal ganglia during an operation, plus a newly-acquired scoliosis a bit like Richard lll. Have sponsored 6 players, inc Billy,, Guy for 5 years,  Tom Willis  and Will Porter. Away now to cook lunch for Sir and me. Bye.   

Gill, correct me if I am wrong but I think you are a fellow Wycombe Tech Alumni.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2020, 11:14:34 AM »
YES!.. Thank you for remembering John. I was 'Secretarial' after a fashion - lousy at book-keeping and shorthand, passable at law and typing (which has gone from touch typing to laboured one finger) but looked forward to sandwiches on the Rye with life-long friend Jenny. I went  to Pipers Corner school which I loathed and left as quickly as possible and life improved then. Mum and Dad retired to Bognor which I also try to forget, but as I discovered archery and my husband there can't be all bad! My Waspie tattoo is still  going strong (left forearm) and causes much chat, hilarity and mirth - in a nice way; Derek was much impressed!  So glad I got it done. We are STHs , 4 of us plus Son in law when he isn't milking,, and sit in the middle-ish of Block B ….. very nice people , all of them. We have managed to get to the majority of home matches but travel is getting difficult now for several reasons. I am now waffling on so will shut up except to say …. being in your 70s ain't too bad at all!  And I hope you and yours all Stay Safe.  Gill

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2020, 12:50:07 PM »
I remember High Wycombe - not because Wasps played there for a while but because I used to go there with my family for summer holidays. Not many can claim that! Long coach journey from the Swansea Valley with stops at Caerleon, Cheltenham (no motorways in the 1950s), Stokenchurch. Main memories - The Rye, Beconscot and the train to Marylebone.
With apologies for the discretion from this topic but relevant to Wasps having become an STH at Sudbury and followed us to Loftus Road, Adams Park and now the Ricoh.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »
I remember High Wycombe - not because Wasps played there for a while but because I used to go there with my family for summer holidays. Not many can claim that! Long coach journey from the Swansea Valley with stops at Caerleon, Cheltenham (no motorways in the 1950s), Stokenchurch. Main memories - The Rye, Beconscot and the train to Marylebone.
With apologies for the discretion from this topic but relevant to Wasps having become an STH at Sudbury and followed us to Loftus Road, Adams Park and now the Ricoh.

I used to live in Caerleon.  I loved it there and would head back in a heartbeat if I could.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »
S\lightly OT. ….. THANKS once-a-Wasp and DWs for saving me from going potty during the Lockdown due to lack of human conversation - yes, I do think of you as 'human'! There are also real humans in our village but we can't get to meet them much. The Endless thread is brilliant. And I miscounted how long we have lived  in our village; it should be 25, not 15. Wot  a wally

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »
Helston (Fleet Air Arm, 4 years),   

Hi Wonky, are you an actual Ex Airy Fairy WAFU?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
yUP.  No porkies are involved!  But I did my 4 years aeons ago 1956/59; trained as a Radio Radar Mech in Winchy, went to Paisley (HMS Sanderling/RNAS Abbotsinch - now Glasdow Airport) and then the TX Site at Culd. Helston.  I was a Wren, just in case I get  anyone confused again. I then went off to teach mentally handicapped  (as the term then was) children in Croydon, then Bethnal Green. Were you a real matelot?  Airy Fairy, Fishhead or Bootneck? Surely not a Wren!     

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »
yUP.  No porkies are involved!  But I did my 4 years aeons ago 1956/59; trained as a Radio Radar Mech in Winchy, went to Paisley (HMS Sanderling/RNAS Abbotsinch - now Glasdow Airport) and then the TX Site at Culd. Helston.  I was a Wren, just in case I get  anyone confused again. I then went off to teach mentally handicapped  (as the term then was) children in Croydon, then Bethnal Green. Were you a real matelot?  Airy Fairy, Fishhead or Bootneck? Surely not a Wren!   

Hi Wonky, I've sent you a PM to save boring the other members with naval talk.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2020, 08:47:13 PM »
Matelot ..... what on  earth is a WAFU?   Remember - I was a Wren (Radio and Radar Mech)  when Puser's rum was still around and CulD had a Spitfire guarding the Gates  and a lot has happened and changed since I was 22!!!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2020, 09:49:53 AM »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2020, 10:38:12 AM »
Also - 'weapon and fuel users'.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!