Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who are you really?  (Read 73423 times)

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you really?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
I'm John. I live near High Wycombe and was first introduced to club rugby on a very cold day at Adams Park in 2004 when Oogie scored a last minute try against Quins to bring us within 1 point and Gizzy knocked over  the conversion to win. I was invited to that game by a mate and bought a season ticket the following week. Been a supporter ever since.
Colon cancer in 2009 almost killed me (or rather my indolent GP did by totally ignoring the symptoms) and, after chatting to my wife about "life being too short etc", decided I'd sponsor one of our up-an-coming players - one Elliott Daly. Kept that going for four or five years until I couldn't justify the ever-increasing expense.
Hadn't missed a game at the Ricoh until the last knockings of last season when my wife was diagnosed with lymphoma.
She got the all-clear in August but the chemo knocked the stuffing out of her and she's only now getting back towards normal. We've got two Old English sheepdogs who need 2 or 3 good walks each day and my wife, having lost so much weight - at one point she was under 6 stone - can't walk them.  So, if Wasps have a 3pm kick-off, I can't fit in 2 walks before I need to leave at 12.30 so I've missed a good many games this season.
But I've got my wife back, which is all that matters.

I qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1969, worked in Formula One for a while and then set up my own practice. Raced a much-modified Sprite in the 80s until I ran out of talent and had a high-speed discussion with the pit wall at Silverstone.  Now semi-retired. Unlike a number of people on here, never been interested in motorbikes. Cars do it for me.
We're planning on moving house next year to downsize (and be closer to Coventry) so probably Stow-on-the-Wold sort of area. Somewhere nice and quiet.
That's me, with apologies for rambling on.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 05:42:19 PM »
Great idea  :)

My name is James (as my username imaginatively suggests). I live in Birmingham but I will soon be moving to Lichfield.

I am one of the many fans that Wasps picked up after they moved to Coventry. A colleague of mine at work and I both decided we wanted to go and watch some top-flight rugby, so we chose Wasps for location (I had studied at Coventry University, so I also have a bit of sentiment towards Coventry also). We both bought season tickets for the 2017/18 season and have since renewed. We have become quite good friends as well. One of my stand-out moments of last season has to be Tom Cruse's flying effort to score a try against Ulster in the Champions Cup. I was also able to convert my girlfriend from a football fan to a rugby fan - I was chuffed with that.

Since graduating from University at the end of 2015, I have been working as an electrical engineer primarily in the pharmaceutical industry.

We currently sit in Block 31 so if anyone is nearby it would be great to meet over a drink prior to kick off one game.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
Mark, 55 from Brackley in Northamptonshire. Surrounded by Saints supporters but holding out.
Started going to Wasps matches at Adams Park over 10 years ago when my partner (Laura) bought a pub and Wasps publicity started giving out tickets, and then one of our locals (Dymott Builders) had a box there and so we had the occasional “posh” visit. Coventry is the same distance away but without the 2 hours to get out of parking at Adams Park.
Since then the two of us and her mother have been going to matches with increased regularity, work permitting, and became STH in the east stand at the Ricoh. (Finally got a season Car Park spot just before the potential demise of Car Park C was announced)
The past couple of years have managed to start going to a lot of the away matches too when dog-sitting can be arranged. We have a Belgian Shepherd (Tervueren – hence the moniker, I lack the imagination to think up a clever name).
Played (badly) at school, could flatten people but lacked skill.
Enjoy the forums because they are a learning experience, this one increasingly more than the other place, as there are so many people with greater knowledge than I possess. Very grateful to those running them.
Enjoy the Rugby, even the matches where I want to weep (e.g. the recent trip to Frankins). I like the fact that the players come around the pitch at the end so we can show our mutual appreciation, I just wish it was our players and not just the opposition (applauding Leicester players when ours have just legged it down the tunnel does grate).

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »
Hi - I'm Mike, 56, accountant by trade

Originally from Staines but now not far from Bath and Bristol. I was loose head prop at school and Uni before cricket took over as my main sport and I made "guest" appearances for a number of teams including being permanent 16th man for a PE teachers team in Berkshire

I can't remember when Wasps came into my view - but at the 87 RWC, I identified as a Wasp, and enjoyed seeing Paul Rendall, Kevin Simms and Rob Andrew play, even if it was a poor tournament for England. I was only in Aus by accident and in those days, you could just turn up to a game - I saw the Japan game at the Concord Oval Sydney, with a ticket on the day for a few dollars

Semi retired these days, enjoy watching rugby anytime, getting a little tired with internationals, and my main find of the season was watching the excellent Mitre 10 games and seeing rugby like I want it to be played. Thanks to whoever tipped us off for that.

Always liked going to old Twickenham when I lived close enough in the 70's and always tried to get to London Division games. I saw my first international there in 72 with my Dad who had got tickets from somewhere.

Like reading the forums, good for info, not interested in having a dig at anyone, doesn't seem to be a point.

As an adopted West Country man, I have migrated to liking real cider and like a visit to a farm to buy the real stuff!

My main exercise these days is with my lurcher, and I like touring the West on my motorcycle (Tiger 1050) when its not wet!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
Loving this thread, nice to see the people behind the names. Thanks chaps!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

ADIIMA

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »
One of the issues I have with forums is not really knowing anything about the people I am friends with.  So here is your chance to tell us a little about yourself if you want.

I'm Oz, I've been a Wasps supporter for somewhere in the region of 15 years.  I live in a small village in Hampshire with thousands (three at home, one grown up and moved out) of children and rarely get to the Ricoh.  I used to live in Herts and so got to Adams Park a lot more.  To be honest I kinda miss that place (am I allowed to say that?).

I'm the guy in the middle in the pic (not Charles).

I’m Dom and I’m the handsome fellow on the left of Oz’s picture, again sadly not Charles. I have the great misfortune of working with Oz as well as associating with him at random Coventry trips. I guess I just enjoy suffering.

Family’s always been about Rugby, but as South Africans (the naff variety who aren’t entirely sports mad) I never really got into the prem until my late teens. I was a natal sharks fan until I decided to get myself a new rugby top to start playing in at sixth form and I choose the classiest one in the shop, and supported wasps ever since.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
I'm Iain and I am a 50 year old Chemical Engineer living in Thanet.  I started watching Wasps when a work friend offered to take my eldest to the London Double Header about 9 years ago or so.  We have followed Wasps ever since bringing my youngest daughter and late wife along on the journey.  There was one memorable occasion when my wife was ill and some very kind people (I won't embarrass them here) allowed us to share their box, and a certain Mr Cipriani stopped the Sale coach to come over to our car to chat with her.  A happy memory in sad times.

I have 2 daughters, a dog and like neither cars nor motorbikes, preferring self power - running, cycling and hill walking with my girls.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 03:13:03 PM »
I'm Iain and I am a 50 year old Chemical Engineer living in Thanet.  I started watching Wasps when a work friend offered to take my eldest to the London Double Header about 9 years ago or so.  We have followed Wasps ever since bringing my youngest daughter and late wife along on the journey.  There was one memorable occasion when my wife was ill and some very kind people (I won't embarrass them here) allowed us to share their box, and a certain Mr Cipriani stopped the Sale coach to come over to our car to chat with her.  A happy memory in sad times.

I have 2 daughters, a dog and like neither cars nor motorbikes, preferring self power - running, cycling and hill walking with my girls.

Sorry to hear about your wife Iain.  I remember you posting saying she was ill some time ago.

Belfast Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
Are you sitting comfortably?
My name is Gary I am 54 and as per tag I live in Belfast, originally from Essex (even longer story) In 1984/5 I was playing for a military team in Mill Hill North London when disaster struck and dislocated my knee.  Our Brigadier, a gentleman called Rolf James sent me to Edgeware Hospital for my physio. He was also physio for Wasps ( I believe his name was James Davies, but was long time ago)  he in turn invited me to Wasps HQ for extra treatment and whilst getting beasted and treated alongside Rob Andrew, Paul Rendall.  Once recovered I was not allowed to play for Wasps officially but played a few games down the club. I was posted away the following year but have supported wasps ever since. Watched them play at Sudbury, Loftus Road and the Ricoh plus many away locations but never got to Adams park. Just goes to show "Once a Wasp always a Wasp". I look forward to meeting some of you in the future and maybe pull up a sand bag and bore you some more  ;D 

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 12:49:09 AM »
Hello all. I am Mark.
As suggested by my handle, I live and work in west wales, and can normally be found in Scarlet-land, where I work for a rather successful independent school, teaching Chemistry and doing a bit of soccer on the side at lunch, having also taught bits of maths, PSE etc. over the years. I am also Health and Safety officer for the school.
I am from East Essex originally, and moved down here for Uni from state grammar,  where I studied for a Bsc, then Msc, then Ph.D, before grabbing a PGCE on the way out.
I first started supporting Wasps back in the mid-late 1990s. I used to do about 6-8 home games a season at AP, with 3-4 away games, plus soccer and England HQ games, but that was prior to my daughter being born in 2010. Nowadays 3-4 matches a year at home is the max, with 2-3 away depending- Bristol, Bath, Worcester, Sale and Glaws are where you are most likely to find me in  terms of away games, whilst at home I rarely sit in the same seat twice.
 I don't drive, but am fortunate that tend to go to matches with my Dad, who does, meaning I can train along the M4 and meet him from Essex if needed. He also pays for the tickets, so that makes him double hero. My daughter now accompanies us to some matches, whilst I have even dragged my Cardiff supporting wife along a couple of times. England Wales matches in my house are not always fun :-[ 

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »

As an adopted West Country man, I have migrated to liking real cider and like a visit to a farm to buy the real stuff!

My main exercise these days is with my lurcher, and I like touring the West on my motorcycle (Tiger 1050) when its not wet!

Nice to see another Wasps supporter who has great taste in Traditional Cider and Triumph Tiger motorcycles. 😉

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »

Nice to see another Wasps supporter who has great taste in Traditional Cider and Triumph Tiger motorcycles. 😉

Moto 2 next year are converting to Triumph engines.. a 765 triple.. They have no pans to introduce a road version.. unless there is a demand.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
Hi I am Richard, 59 next month, been actively watching Wasps since January 2004 at Adams Park, had several guises on the DW forum, usually changed after I post something really stupid, about every 5 years, some might say every other week. Run my own Dog Walking /Boarding Business with my wife Michelle, she is not a great Rugby fan although has been to Treviso and Toulon,,,, dunno why. two children Alex formally a Wasps ball boy now a Policeman and Olivia at Loughborough Uni. Missed my first Away European Match this weekend for about 7 years mainly because British Airways are sh!t and rather than land at a nearby airport to Toulouse thought lets go back to Heathrow!!! Slightly disillusioned with Rugby and Wasps  right now but make every Wasps home game when I am not on holiday which seems to be getting more and more Regular. Currently trying very hard to get back to my old golf handicap of 12, still a long way to go but helps me to not get so wound up by all the crap on the DW site. i really don't know how some of them get out of bed in the morning......

nice way to introduce ourselves

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
BG, i'm too old for sports bikes, more into touring these days. Hopefully the clowns in Westminster can sort a deal with the EU as I like to ride in Europe a couple of times a year and I don't need the hassle of applying for visas.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
Slightly disillusioned with Rugby and Wasps  right now

Hi Richard, nice to meet you. Why disillusioned?