Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who are you really?  (Read 73966 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you really?
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »
Doesn't apply to me  then!!   Thanks for the info tho.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
Also - 'weapon and fuel users'.

Sorry Wonky, only just seen this. Trust me Ross, the definition you use above is never used inn the RN. In all of my 28 years service I never heard that, only the derogatory version. The surface fleet are not particularly fond of the Fleet Air Arm. Their only useful function was to collect the mail (in pre email days), other than that they are just a pain in the arse for a ship's company.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2020, 10:18:47 PM »
That's a pity.  We Airy Fairies were quite fond of the Fish Heads.  We seemed to get on quite well!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
Ah, but I assume you never went to sea? A flight brings a whole load of naus for a ship's company, and on a T22 frigate, the hangar was right above the CPO's cabins. It's no fun trying to sleep after a middle watch with the WAFU's dragging those bloody chains around the deck all the time.......

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »
The nearest I got to the sea was the River Clyde, Loch Ness and south Cornish coastline; I'm very grateful that I was  shore-based.  You have my extreme sympathy!  The worst we got was choppers over living quarters during night exercises. No wonder you cursed FAA. 

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2020, 04:36:29 PM »
Glad you understand Wonky. It's interesting that you never wanted to go to sea, most of the "Proper" ie blue badge WRENs that I knew prior to the decision being made never wanted to go to sea either. I wonder what changed?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2020, 05:13:51 PM »
When  I joined the Navy in 1955 to 59  we weren't under Naval Discipline; had we been we would have had rum ration and duty free ciggies (Peter Stuyvesen, and the best going - according  to my Mum) and been able to walk Out of the Service without being called a deserter.  The only foreign base was Malta and we never went to sea and never flew kites or choppers. When - several years later -  Wrens were included under Naval Discipline everything changed and how. And yes, I  am glad I never went to sea!

Temeura

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2020, 08:59:21 AM »
Hi, I am Dan and I live in Aylesbury.

Watched Rugby from a young age but never supported anyone until my daughter played in a tournament sponsored by Wasps. After the tournament we had tickets to go and watch Wasps last Premiership match at Adams Park ( a trouncing of London Welsh) and really enjoyed the atmosphere. I have supported Wasps ever since and my daughter likes Wasps but is more interested in women's' rugby.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
Welcome Dan. Enjoy!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
I've  suddennly lost my facility to  be applauded/smited. What did I do, but more importaantly  ......  how do  I get it back??????  Help.  Please.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
I've  suddennly lost my facility to  be applauded/smited. What did I do, but more importaantly  ......  how do  I get it back??????  Help.  Please.

Interesting. It looks normal to me. I just applauded you!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
Thank you,  VV! You are very kind!.  It must be a bug in my machine; I can see how many apps/smites  I've got but where  everyone has 'applaud/smite'  my spacee is empty. Very odd.  Non-tecky strikes again.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »
The option doesn't appear on your own profile legend for obvious reasons (to stop users continuously applauding themselves- although looking at some users total posts compared to "applaud" ratings I'm beginning to wonder).

Some forum engines allow posters to "like" or "dislike" actual comments but this Applaud/Smite seems to be tied to the actual poster not a comment or thread. The former option would complicate a database design further as each comment would then have to have a one to many sub-table to allow multiple likes or dislikes.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2020, 10:58:04 AM »
 :)Thank you both for the help.  I  think I did have a  'app/sm' once upon a time  but can quite see that  some might be tempted to  congratulate themselves.  I can app and sm others to my heart''s content and also see if others agree (or not) with me  -  so why am I mithering?   All is well!  Thank you.     :)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »
This makes me feel really old-fashioned.

Never use those options.

If I don't like a comment I ignore it, or post a contradictory reply, If I think something is worth agreeing with then I post a comment to agree.