Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rebuild time  (Read 3625 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Rebuild time
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »

Some fans will hate to hear it, but it's possibly the right time and situation for a compete rebuild.

If we believe the majority of the rumours we will be without Simmo, Daly, Hughes, WlR next season, and possibly Mullan, Taylor, JCW and maybe some others.

Players like Mullan and to some extent Simmo and JCW have featured so rarely for us over the last 12 months that it's hard to think of them as first choice at the moment, so replacing them will likely be easier.

To some degree the same can be said about Nathan Hughes. Between injuries, tweet gate, and international call ups, I'm not sure how many games he's actually played in the last 12 months and whether it represents a fair return on investment.
When fit and firing, he's definitely a must have in the team though.

Daly and WlR on the other hand are starters, and players with their ability are few and far between. There's still time to go before the new year, but there are murmurs that these 2 aren't playing near their best. Even world class players need to play their best or they're no better than the other squad players.

I don't believe all the rumours are "done deals" yet. For example, given how Dai often doesn't select a player if they're known to be leaving, I find it hard to believe he would have made Daly Captain for the last couple of games.

If these guys do go though, we will have a super chunk of salary cap available.
It's time to find out who wants to play for the club and who doesn't. Anyone wishing to go can go, with a big "thank you for your services".

I don't know where we get replacements from or who they would be, but as has been recently stated by nick Eastwood, Dai is a forward looking guy who always has a plan for next season.
I feel that he knows what cards he'll be dealt with for next year and is already well along the path of trying to smooth the transition.

Whatever he does though, it has to involve a significant increase in the size of the coaching team

I predict that we're going to see a quite significant player turnover this year, and those coming in to replace them won't all be big names. I think that we will now be building for medium term success rather than trying for immediate gratification and constantly trying to plaster over the cracks.

If it does happen, it'll only work properly if fans, critics and media alike all buy into it rather than complaining about the lack of a Willie leRoux, Kurtley Beale or Charles Piutau

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild time
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
I suspect a few will leave. Of the 'three' Daly will be here, but WLR and Simmo gone. I think most of the rest will will re-sign.

I think the more critical thing is what is, or is not, changing off the field. The coaching staff, the training facilities.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »
I think they must be working on the coaching team. I can't believe  that after appointing and losing a major coach at the beginning of the season they are not in the process of sorting for next season - hopefully keeping under wraps for as long as they can.
Nelly - you said on another thread that the proposed "new" training venue site was actually impossible to procure because of other ownership. Is this the case? If so it points to lack of due diligence.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
Nelly - you said on another thread that the proposed "new" training venue site was actually impossible to procure because of other ownership. Is this the case? If so it points to lack of due diligence.

Not necessarily.  My company is in the process of moving offices, the process was almost completely derailed and has been set back by 3 months because of a change in the freehold mid way through the lease terms going through. 
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »

Some fans will hate to hear it, but it's possibly the right time and situation for a compete rebuild.

If we believe the majority of the rumours we will be without Simmo, Daly, Hughes, WlR next season, and possibly Mullan, Taylor, JCW and maybe some others.

Players like Mullan and to some extent Simmo and JCW have featured so rarely for us over the last 12 months that it's hard to think of them as first choice at the moment, so replacing them will likely be easier.

To some degree the same can be said about Nathan Hughes. Between injuries, tweet gate, and international call ups, I'm not sure how many games he's actually played in the last 12 months and whether it represents a fair return on investment.
When fit and firing, he's definitely a must have in the team though.

Daly and WlR on the other hand are starters, and players with their ability are few and far between. There's still time to go before the new year, but there are murmurs that these 2 aren't playing near their best. Even world class players need to play their best or they're no better than the other squad players.

I don't believe all the rumours are "done deals" yet. For example, given how Dai often doesn't select a player if they're known to be leaving, I find it hard to believe he would have made Daly Captain for the last couple of games.

If these guys do go though, we will have a super chunk of salary cap available.
It's time to find out who wants to play for the club and who doesn't. Anyone wishing to go can go, with a big "thank you for your services".

I don't know where we get replacements from or who they would be, but as has been recently stated by nick Eastwood, Dai is a forward looking guy who always has a plan for next season.
I feel that he knows what cards he'll be dealt with for next year and is already well along the path of trying to smooth the transition.

Whatever he does though, it has to involve a significant increase in the size of the coaching team

I predict that we're going to see a quite significant player turnover this year, and those coming in to replace them won't all be big names. I think that we will now be building for medium term success rather than trying for immediate gratification and constantly trying to plaster over the cracks.

If it does happen, it'll only work properly if fans, critics and media alike all buy into it rather than complaining about the lack of a Willie leRoux, Kurtley Beale or Charles Piutau

I disagree some with your player assessments, but not with the whole idea.  I think we need to change our approach, and getting Lima on board is the perfect time to do that.  The cap effectively dropping in real terms is going to hit us quite hard, and I think will change the face of rugby across the whole premiership.  So yes, it's a good time to start to try to build a new successgful team.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
I think they must be working on the coaching team. I can't believe  that after appointing and losing a major coach at the beginning of the season they are not in the process of sorting for next season - hopefully keeping under wraps for as long as they can.

AFAIK, the land belongs to a local farming family. They have shown no indication on the existing fields in use (by Old Leamingtonians and next door my old club, Leamington Rugby Club) that they would sell. Doing so stops development on the land, which is their aim. They have given very long leases at peppercorn rents with the stipulation that the land is used for sport. As such, that is better than what Wasps have with the Ricoh. There is a vacant field (that has been left fallow I think for a long time) adjacent to the north of the OLs site, which may actually be rented already by the OLs. The only issue is that whatever you build, it legally belongs to the landowner (as the Ricoh belongs to Coventry Council). The only bind here is if the new buildings are built by Wasps and financed, can the finance company get security? I don't think they can.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
I think it would be very shortsighted by the landowner to get in the way of the agreement. It would be a massive boost to the area, schools and local community which might be a stipulation of the development. I think the farm nearby is called Bericote so I'm guessing they own the land. As far as OL's are concerned, they just need to make sure that whatever transpires doesn't affect their club going forward.

Next time I'm passing I'll take some photos for you all.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 02:28:17 PM »
I've just received a message from the inside.. that Wasps and OL's have signed and exchanged contracts for the new training facility

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
News from Wasps:

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/club-statement/

I truly hope the artificial pitch won't be 4G ......
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:27:19 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:38:31 PM »
Phew.. just released some info that I've been told not to release.. quickly deleted my last post.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »
Good to have some positive news for a change.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »
My guess is that, if the all weather pitch will be in by June, that Wasps will uplift the portacabins that are at Broadstreet at the same time and get them shifted to Leamington, so that they can start the 2019 season at the new grounds, then the work to get the 2nd phase will be started on the new field maybe?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »
I'll email you the plans

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »
I'll email you the plans