Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New Format for the Rugby Europe Championship  (Read 517 times)

MarleyWasp

New Format for the Rugby Europe Championship
« on: September 16, 2022, 10:32:48 AM »
There's a new format for the Rugby Europe Championship for next season. The tournament has been expanded to eight sides, with Russia no longer taking part and Belgium, Germany and Poland being promoted.

It will be run in two pools of four to start. Pool A features Georgia, Spain, Netherlands and Germany, and Pool B has Romania, Portugal, Belgium and Poland. Pool matches will be played on the weekends of 4/5th, 11/12th and 18/19th February.

On the weekend of 4/5th March there will be semi finals, with a second tier competition for sides that finish third and fourth in their pool, before a final round for rankings two weekends later, where Georgia will no doubt be crowned champions.

Full details: https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/news/new-format-for-rugby-europe-championship/

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New Format for the Rugby Europe Championship
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 10:56:12 AM »
I assume Georgia will be favourites?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 11:01:07 AM »
Good to see the spread to other countries.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 12:07:46 PM »
I hope they've got something set up to be a bit more proactive in checking on player eligibility. It has been a bit farcical the last few years.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 12:44:46 PM »
It's World Rugby who are meant to check on player eligibility, not the regional bodies. In fairness to World Rugby, it was Spain not conducting due diligence before sending the evidence to World Rugby that caused the most recent issue.