Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT - Motorbikes  (Read 2161 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
OT - Motorbikes
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »
My first New Topic on the forum so I hope Vesp doesn't mind as its non-rugby.

Looking at the Who Are You Really thread, there's a disproportionate amount of bikers on here (or is a disproportionate amount of middle age men that ride bikes hoping to re-live their lost youth?)

My question for them is, where's the best road or biking experience you've had (be it in this country or abroad)?

I've ridden through France and then the Swiss Alps which was amazing. I noticed that people are very accommodating and helpful towards bikers .. a bit like rugby supporters.. kindred spirits

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Motorbikes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
I probably would have been a biker but my dad warned me off when I was in my teens. He at one time used to be a dispatch rider during the war and he said that there more casualties from the bikes than the Germans! I hope this is not the case for the easy riding Wasps:) Stay safe everyone.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »
I've only really riden in the UK (just the odd bike hire in France and Spain on holiday). Even then it was 15 years ago and not huge milage. So I can only offer the Box Hill A24, lovely sweeping turns and the bike welcoming Rykas cafe, although bike friendly they are a bit grumpy! Even 15 years ago there were cameras all over the place so it's very much a relaxed stretch, but steaped in cafe racer history. Think the meet used to be the last Sunday of the month, but there's always bikes there, especially on Sundays.

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »
Never had a bike myself but a number of friends over the years have said the the road down the Usk Valley from Monmouth to Chepstow is an excellent ride.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 11:02:02 PM »
I've only recently converted from blasting around Oxfordshire and the Cotswold on sporty naked bikes to travelling further afield on more tourer friendly machines. I've been to France a few times and loved the Pyrenees visiting places such as Rocamadour and riding up twisty mountain roads. The trouble with France is all the best roads are two days riding in the south of the country but worth it when you get there.

For great roads but less of a cultural experience the much closer to home area of Snowdonia is fantastic riding, in fact most of Wales is great North of the M4 as is the Peak District and Scotland North of Glasgow.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 06:22:18 PM »
Well, like many people of my age, I got a m/c licence before a car one, as I certainly could not afford a car back then! In many ways, doing long journeys on 100cc of Yamaha "power" or dicing though early 80's London traffic still stick in the memory. The feeling of independence at 17 of riding the 20 odd miles after school to play colts cricket is still a great memory

However, more recently, going to the Isle of Man for practice week and going for it over the Mountain Course, racing white van man was fun and looking back 10 years, probably rather stupid, if exhilarating!

I also really enjoyed going round the D Day beaches and museums on my honeymoon, it gave you the best view of the landscape and feel for how difficult the whole enterprise was.