Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 4517 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2022, 05:07:23 PM »
6-8 week ban for Jacob, no idea what he thought he was trying to do

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »
The usual implosion. Saints fans with me in shock just can't believe what happened. I can

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2022, 05:17:38 PM »
The problem was that he wasn’t thinking. He should have known a Saints player would be going to compete for the ball and never looked round.

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2022, 05:21:35 PM »
The problem was that he wasn’t thinking. He should have known a Saints player would be going to compete for the ball and never looked round.

He knew exactly what he was doing in taking the player out. How he thought if he did he would get away with that is beyond me.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2022, 05:29:43 PM »
When we had a penalty well into Saints' territory in the final ten or so minutes, we went for a 5 metre line out. Why? We were ahead, we'd scored 4 tries and didn't need another. W H-W was on and he has a good boot, why not go for the posts? From my recollection, though by no means a gimme, it wasn't that difficult either. Instead we make a bollocks of the line out and get nothing. Launch and Dan were off. Who was skipper? That was the time to calm things down and THINK. Take all the time you have for the kick. Even if we miss, they probably have to drop out and we could well get the ball back in their half. I thought then we were going to lose the game.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2022, 05:34:02 PM »
When we had a penalty well into Saints' territory in the final ten or so minutes, we went for a 5 metre line out. Why? We were ahead, we'd scored 4 tries and didn't need another. W H-W was on and he has a good boot, why not go for the posts? From my recollection, though by no means a gimme, it wasn't that difficult either. Instead we make a bollocks of the line out and get nothing. Launch and Dan were off. Who was skipper? That was the time to calm things down and THINK. Take all the time you have for the kick. Even if we miss, they probably have to drop out and we could well get the ball back in their half. I thought then we were going to lose the game.
From what I could tell Jack was skipper, or it least he was having conversations with the ref.

I was also surprised the didn’t go for points.  Even if the kick is missed it wastes time and we get the ball kicked back to us.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2022, 05:49:19 PM »
Hard to feel anything other than an overwhelming sadness at the entire situation right now...

A piece of me genuinely believes that if we'd been playing as well as we can play for the last season or so we wouldn't be in this situation.

But it is what it is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 07:10:58 PM by Vespula Vulgaris »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2022, 05:51:00 PM »
When we had a penalty well into Saints' territory in the final ten or so minutes, we went for a 5 metre line out. Why? ...
Instead we make a bollocks of the line out and get nothing.
With that amount of time left, and with a man down, we should have been playing as much as possible with the ball in the Saints half. We just needed to execute the line out properly and keep the ball until we scored. If we had converted the penalty instead we would be facing a kick off and play in our half.

We did go for the posts with 3 minutes remaining to go 8 up, which was the correct decision. However we made another bollocks of the restart and gift a try.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2022, 07:29:54 PM »
Just back in. Much better ball in hand. Carr, Atkinson, Willis superb. But how we lose that is beyond me and it’s just not good enough. Restarts killed us. Try just before half time killed us. And even with all that we had to see out 30 seconds and couldn’t. Analysis is fine but the fact is we’re just not good enough. We had the game won 4 times and found ways of losing. Opposing teams must love playing us - there is literally no scenario where they are beaten.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2022, 08:01:18 PM »
Just back in. Much better ball in hand. Carr, Atkinson, Willis superb. But how we lose that is beyond me and it’s just not good enough. Restarts killed us. Try just before half time killed us. And even with all that we had to see out 30 seconds and couldn’t. Analysis is fine but the fact is we’re just not good enough. We had the game won 4 times and found ways of losing. Opposing teams must love playing us - there is literally no scenario where they are beaten.
   +1   It just seemed inevitabkle.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2022, 08:06:03 PM »
Just home after a good run. Can't say the mood was good though. 3 minutes to go and two scores ahead. Brain farts everywhere.  Thought generally the ref was fair. Atkinson should pick up a new club easily. Plus points were Nizaam,  Jack,  Jacob until he offered himself up for an 8 week ban. Thought Mills (whole match!!!) and Burger worked well. Josh tried his normal best. Hislop was rather good. Slightly puzzled when Frosty came on for Curran. Oh well at least the Mill was open for coffee after the match. Quite a good way to say bye bye to the stadium!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2022, 08:17:33 PM »
Hopefully that won’t be the case Neils. Lots to happen yet.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2022, 09:31:31 PM »
Just home after a good run. Can't say the mood was good though. 3 minutes to go and two scores ahead. Brain farts everywhere.  Thought generally the ref was fair. Atkinson should pick up a new club easily. Plus points were Nizaam,  Jack,  Jacob until he offered himself up for an 8 week ban. Thought Mills (whole match!!!) and Burger worked well. Josh tried his normal best. Hislop was rather good. Slightly puzzled when Frosty came on for Curran. Oh well at least the Mill was open for coffee after the match. Quite a good way to say bye bye to the stadium!!

I think Curran had taken a head knock. He looked groggy and was having treatment. Frosty came on so Gaby could go in the back row. Correct me if I am wrong.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2022, 09:56:57 PM »

I think Curran had taken a head knock. He looked groggy and was having treatment. Frosty came on so Gaby could go in the back row. Correct me if I am wrong.

Probably correct and makes sense. Will watch back tomorrow. Just watched LoL try to dig himself out of the hole he apparently dug on the match coverage.
Let me tell you something cucumber