Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Press Interference  (Read 4939 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Press Interference
« on: December 13, 2018, 07:14:33 AM »
It seems to me that the press are hell bent on engineering an Elliot Daly move to Saracens, the article below really disappoints me. You also have to question why a Director of Rugby is allegedly commenting on a player who is under contract beyond the end of this season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-6489837/Saracens-clear-decks-free-salary-cap-space-England-Wasps-star-Elliot-Daly.html
It was fine when I left it.....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Press Interference
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
How exactly is this "interference"? They are just reporting the rumours & gossip they get told.

The never heard the phrase "Don't shoot the messenger"?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »
It is what it is, and will be if it is to be. Life is too short to worry.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
It certainly seems like Dai is trying to soften the blow when we lose players, he's actively saying that players want to return to London (or potentially big cities).

In the end, the only rumour of a player leaving that really stings for me, is Will Stuart to Bath, which is apparently a near done deal, for a bucketload of cash.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »
Because I believe the press and the repeated syndication of articles, are engineering it, my opinion. I have of course heard the phrase 'Don't Shoot The Messenger', and the Daily Mail is the root of all truth after all!
It was fine when I left it.....

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:12:21 AM »
I’m not sure the media can engineer a player move just by reporting rumours. If the player wants to move the rumours are possibly fair, if they are not then it’s likely a source of amusement, or at worst annoyance, for the player and their teammates and coaches. Worst case scenario is that it leads to conflict between the player and the team. To be honest I get the impression Dai would speak to a player directly to check the validity of the stories first and foremost and then plan accordingly. No player is irreplaceable. Of the all the rumoured moves Will Stuart is the one that would worry me as he’s only just broken through and has so much more to give.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »
Its just repeating stuff thats been rumoured on here. Whether you like the paper concerned or not, them not reporting it, doesn't make it go away. Equally them reporting it doesnt make it any more or less likely to to come true either

Do you seriously think that the Mail reporting it will influence Elliot to leave?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
Do you seriously think that the Mail reporting it will influence Elliot to leave?

Put Elliot in control of the coffee at Broadstreet.

The only thing I can see these articles doing is stirring up other clubs to have a go and cap Sarries' alleged offer. Personally, I would be very wary of playing all my home games on that artificial pitch.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
I feel that's a pretty fair article overall.

It's the comments that I like though
Along the lines of "why do we need another full back"

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
I'm still a bit confused, Daly is under contract to Wasps for next season and his alleged contract clause regarding the training ground must now be null and void due to the news of a deal been done earlier this week? Am I missing something?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
I'm still a bit confused, Daly is under contract to Wasps for next season and his alleged contract clause regarding the training ground must now be null and void due to the news of a deal been done earlier this week? Am I missing something?

The clause might state planning permission is required, or building has started, or the facilities must be finished, or partially completed, or we must have moved from Broadstreet etc etc.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »
Sounds like a clever move by whoever drew up his contract, to give him an out without appearing to. It's a business, short career etc.

Now how do I get me one of these short careers!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
As I doubt anyone on here, or in the press, will have actually seen his contract, I would guess its all speculation.

However there was talk when Launchbury & Daly re-signed that they were promised that "Wasps would be continuing to sign world class players" That, like any potential Training ground clause, sounds vague enough that a decent lawyer could argue it hadn't been fulfilled, or had, depending on what their client wanted. '

At the end of the day, if a player wants to leave, whether his contract is up or not, its pretty pointless to try and keep them. They won't be giving 100% on the pitch, may be a morale problem in the team & could be wasting a decent wage which could be better used elsewhere.

If a player really wants to go, then unless you want a massive squabble, you're better off sucking it up and moving on.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
I have always really liked Elliot and he's my girlfriend's favourite player, so I wouldn't really want him to leave. But I understand that players will move on. I also cannot blame him if he wants to move to an environment that is always competing for trophies.

Dai sounds like he's resigned to losing players this season judging by the "Lure of London" comment.

I do find the DM comments of Saracens clearing the decks to fit Elliot in quite funny though. I would've thought that these players were moving on / retiring before such rumours came to light. So how Saracens are clearing the deck confuses me.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
The bit about him wanting to go to Sarries so he could be with his good friend Jamie George, ignoring that he'd then be leaving his very close friend Dan Robson behind at Wasps, was also amusing.