Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BB Breaking - Announcements  (Read 17137 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BB Breaking - Announcements
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2022, 11:06:12 AM »
Listening to Stephen Vaughan on the rugby pod, If there is to be wasps team next year it is highly likely that we will still be playing at the CBS. Really interesting listen….

Chose his words about Derek very carefully I thought

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »
The Midland Hurricanes (last year Coventry Bears RL) are playing at Portway this season with the plan of moving to the Alexander Stadium at Perry barr.
It's a long shot.

Alex will always be an athletics stadium  meaning a permanent running track and long jump area etc.  Any rugby crowd would sitting a mile away from the pitch
Roll on portable seating easily done.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2022, 12:11:21 PM »
Listening to Stephen Vaughan on the rugby pod, If there is to be wasps team next year it is highly likely that we will still be playing at the CBS. Really interesting listen….

I haven't listened, but his interview in the Cov Tel was very pointed indeed.  I was always under the impression that the CEO was where the buck stopped, but it must be nice for him to have a convenient scapegoat to pass all the blame onto.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2022, 12:42:46 PM »

Somewhat depends on whether the new owners (whoever they might be) want us there, at a price we can afford, short, medium and long term.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2022, 12:49:58 PM »
You can listen to the Rugby Pod on Spotify or Amazon Prime (for free if you have a Prime account). The interview starts at just after 20 minutes in.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2022, 12:58:43 PM »
Quote from: Vespula Vulgaris link=topic=5728.msg98746#msg98746
I haven't listened, but his interview in the Cov Tel was very pointed indeed.  I was always under the impression that the CEO was where the buck stopped, but it must be nice for him to have a convenient scapegoat to pass all the blame onto.

Well worth a listen.  Was a good interview with a few nuggets of new info.  Perhaps I’m overplaying his comments relating to DR, they weren’t a big part of the interview in terms of time but just interesting points that I hadn’t heard someone actually say (but had read the rumours about).

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2022, 01:03:16 PM »

Very. But, he was quite clear, since Covid Derek appears to have sat back and said, enough is enough, I am out as soon as I can be. Fair enough, he has put a lot of time in, and a lot of money, and there comes a time ...

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2022, 01:34:18 PM »

Very. But, he was quite clear, since Covid Derek appears to have sat back and said, enough is enough, I am out as soon as I can be. Fair enough, he has put a lot of time in, and a lot of money, and there comes a time ...

He has most definitely not sat back. At the very least he's put seven figures of his own money in to keep things going.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2022, 01:42:00 PM »

I'm not sure it was a case of out as soon as I can be, it was said that he was very clear that he wasn't going to be putting any more money into the sporting side of things.  Totally agree and accept he's put plenty in and invested, certainly in the early days - He had a vision that I wished had of worked.  Although wealthy, it's tens of millions and not hundreds and there comes a point where he can't keep ploughing cash into the Club. 

Vaughan's words on Derek were very matter-of-fact; he's been clear that he's not willing to put anymore cash into the Club, he's keen to hold onto the Stadium side of things to retain or sell as it's profitable in it's own right and allows him to get as much of his investment back as possible and that although present, kept quiet during the announcement around Administration.

Both things can be true at once; that Derek has personally invested millions and was the driving force behind making the move to Coventry work but that latterly he has also said enough is enough and taken a step back from the playing side of things.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2022, 03:12:16 PM »
Both things can be true at once; that Derek has personally invested millions and was the driving force behind making the move to Coventry work but that latterly he has also said enough is enough and taken a step back from the playing side of things.

My words were perhaps poorly chosen. I meant, by 'sat back', that he didn't get involved in this process. I wasn't saying this, as I have no idea what has been going on. Stephen said what InBetweenWasp summarised.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2022, 04:02:41 PM »
Not sure he has been that negative, or "blaming". I think we tend to do that, to some extent those involved are past that.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »
You can listen to the Rugby Pod on Spotify or Amazon Prime (for free if you have a Prime account). The interview starts at just after 20 minutes in.
It’s in the Overcast library so presumably in iTunes and all other podcast servers.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2022, 04:54:54 PM »
It’s in the Overcast library so presumably in iTunes and all other podcast servers.

Yep, although owned by Spotify (or at least under the Spotify Brand) it's available pretty much everywhere.  I listen to it via The Apple Podcast app.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2022, 04:57:47 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63317864

Baxter’s been putting the boot in today and he seems to be the most outspoken of anyone outside of PRL and the RFU. I always thought he was a decent bloke, but I’m getting a bit bored that he’s nominated himself as spokesman for the clubs. Even Saracens have respectfully kept their counsel.

It would be good if someone reminded him and his club that whilst they are one of the few operating in the black, there have been musings in the past between their extremely rich owner and the rather tight link between his business interests, sponsorship of the club and the fact that chiefs never have any debt.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2022, 05:19:47 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63317864

Baxter’s been putting the boot in today and he seems to be the most outspoken of anyone outside of PRL and the RFU. I always thought he was a decent bloke, but I’m getting a bit bored that he’s nominated himself as spokesman for the clubs. Even Saracens have respectfully kept their counsel.

It would be good if someone reminded him and his club that whilst they are one of the few operating in the black, there have been musings in the past between their extremely rich owner and the rather tight link between his business interests, sponsorship of the club and the fact that chiefs never have any debt.

He has a point though; Clubs that have a way to effectively wipe their debts leaving creditors losing out but keeping their centralised revenues have a competitive advantage.  But it's a bit rich as it's what Saracens have effectively done with Wray writing off his debt and, although it's claimed otherwise, it appears to be what Tony Rowe has done via SWComms with Chiefs over the years.

Importantly, the difference is, they did it out of their own pockets, rather than inadvertently screwing over supply chain partners.  We'll see how Saracens finances pan out with their diversifying of income streams through different uses of StoneX