Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 140732 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #660 on: April 12, 2023, 07:33:06 PM »
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/12855692/jack-willis-england-future-in-doubt-after-signing-three-year-deal-at-toulouse

Being reported that England exception for JW won?t be extended. If he isn?t picked ,by the end of his contract he could qualify for France?

Think the 3 year switch is only allowed if born in or parents / grandparents born in the country wishing to transfer to.

I would guess he will do his 2 years in Toulouse to be financially sound while seeing if RFU stance changes, if it doesn't then come back after 2 to try to get his place back for next world cup, if it does change and playing abroad and for England allowed then he will do his 3rd year option at least. Either way he deserves success both on and off the field.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 12, 2023, 09:36:40 PM »
Will Jack be eligible for the World Cup after signing this contract for next season?

I'm surprised more players don't do two years abroad just after the world cup and return with 2 years to get their England place back.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 13, 2023, 07:43:43 AM »
Will Jack be eligible for the World Cup after signing this contract for next season?

I'm surprised more players don't do two years abroad just after the world cup and return with 2 years to get their England place back.

Yes exceptions are in place until after this world cup for England

Guess the risk is you don't get it back, likes of Tom Pearson etc may take their opportunity in those 2 years.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 07:51:37 AM by Chunky24 »

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 13, 2023, 08:44:17 AM »
I guess the hope is that the 2+ years in a new / different environment alongside World Class players (using Jack at Toulouse as an example) will improve the player to the extent that he (or she, considered in the wider picture) is able to bring that new level to the national side.

Younger guys like Pearson, CCS etc will put pressure on, but look at the clamour for Mercer to be brought in pre-RWC given his displays in the Top 14 for Montpellier.

You could argue a case that absence makes the heart grow fonder, and that Mercer (for example) is more visible on Top 14 highlight reels than if we saw him week in / week out in the Prem.

I'm firmly in the camp of letting players play wherever, and picking them anyway. Pick your best players, regardless of their club, a la football. Leads to an exodus of "top talent" from the Prem? Opens up opportunities for more youngsters to break through and stake claims.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 14, 2023, 12:17:32 AM »
Seems like Jack has found his feet well in Toulouse, I've just seen a cracking video on LinkedIn with him speaking French to announce his resigning.

It of course makes sense to learn the language of the country you live and work in but its still great to see after a relatively short time frame.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 15, 2023, 12:14:24 PM »
Kibirige looks like he has all his confidence back, just scored a beauty for Western Force much like the ones he was getting before his injury.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 15, 2023, 01:39:50 PM »
Kibirige looks like he has all his confidence back, just scored a beauty for Western Force much like the ones he was getting before his injury.

https://twitter.com/wwos/status/1647197156313542659?t=VyW6dQ-UBXwLhB0VDlvwmg&s=19

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 15, 2023, 07:47:22 PM »
Spink getting a lot of minutes for the Force too. Though they are being spanked most weeks.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 16, 2023, 12:03:17 AM »
Yes it was always going to be tough for the Force but Spink has been very solid in his games around a small hamstring injury in the first round.
Kibirige is given a lot more space than in the Prem so looks like he?s enjoying himself. Has always been good at the chip and chase. Was a classy try

Cardall hasn?t got a game yet for the Rebels but has been turning out for their 2nds

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 16, 2023, 12:10:32 AM »
I am so pleased for Zach. He was one of my favourites. He just looked miserable latterly with us.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 16, 2023, 07:15:15 AM »
Plus 1, Ross.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #671 on: April 16, 2023, 11:22:01 AM »
I don't think Zach's form was helped by his stint at full back last season.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 17, 2023, 12:34:14 PM »
I don't think Zach's form was helped by his stint at full back last season.

Interesting to see Bassett starting at FB for Quins last weekend - something I don?t think we ever tried.
Also Hartley again doing well in the centres for Sarries - I wonder if we would have seen him appear this season for us in the premiership or whether we would have kept him at Ampthill and for cup games again.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 17, 2023, 01:13:50 PM »
Nice to see Launch & his missus have had their third child, not sure about the name though "Quinn".... could have been worse, they could have gone for "Saracen"  :)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 17, 2023, 01:40:32 PM »
Nice to see Launch & his missus have had their third child, not sure about the name though "Quinn".... could have been worse, they could have gone for "Saracen"  :)

Or Foxton😁
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!