Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 140662 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #705 on: May 03, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »
Yeah, but who won the Championship this season - not Ealing.

Robson9

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 03, 2023, 11:39:27 AM »
Yeah, but who won the Championship this season - not Ealing.

Yep of course. Still think it would be incredibly dull being an Ealing fan regardless - where 80% of your games arent even competitive

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 03, 2023, 01:13:59 PM »
We've been going to Trailfinders since the demise, and, yes, it can be a bit boring. However they are very Wasps like in that they constantly shoot themselves in the foot. It's good to see former Wasps playing well (Hapson and Holmes particularly).

What is great about the matches are the crowds - very friendly, the lack of the TMO, the refs not constantly resetting the scrums and the sausage and chips they sell! Also if you go to the bar and buy a coffee, what you get is real coffee, and a lot cheaper than it was at the Ricoh/CBS.

We went over to Jersey to see the match that decided the chamionship, and no doubt Jersey deserved to win, but well worth it - as good as any trip to France or Italy. Also good to see two ex-Wasps doing so well, as coaches, at Jersey (Harvey Biljon and Rob Webber)

WHilst over there we came across many old Wasps supporters, including the Allez man John Gladson.

Robson9

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 03, 2023, 01:25:45 PM »
We've been going to Trailfinders since the demise, and, yes, it can be a bit boring.

I made my first visit there for Scottish's game this season (where I've been going since Wasps went to Coventry). Was quite boring for me too with teh 50-nil scoreline in Ealings favour  :D

Was quite funny to watch England getting thrashed by France in the Ealing bar afterwards though!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 04, 2023, 12:02:53 PM »
JTA released by Ulster
Let me tell you something cucumber

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 04, 2023, 07:51:35 PM »
Tom Willis included in the Top 14 Team of the Month

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 05, 2023, 10:47:36 AM »
Gopps leaving Leicester - player/coach role with us perhaps? 2 birds 1 stone.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 05, 2023, 10:57:09 AM »
That would be ideal for me as it also fixes one thing I'd like to see, a strong senior player link with the recent past.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 05, 2023, 11:27:43 AM »

Interesting, I guess everyone's assumption was the reason he left Wasps was down to the 2 year playing contract and potential coaching role.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 05, 2023, 06:22:58 PM »

Interesting, I guess everyone's assumption was the reason he left Wasps was down to the 2 year playing contract and potential coaching role.

Different coaching staff there now to those conversations I would assume.

Robson9

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 05, 2023, 07:45:50 PM »

Potentially a year deal with an option for an extension that tigers didnt activate? Don't think tigers fans were particularly miffed to see him go as he hasnt been great for them. Time catches up with everyone I suppose - even someone as ageless as Jimmy!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 05, 2023, 08:46:03 PM »
JTA released by Ulster

Think it was only a one year deal but very surprised they?re not keeping him with how short they?ll be at TH next year and with Moore injured.
Big Jeff has again been a fan favourite and has played very well recently - lots of minutes since Moore?s injury too.

Hope he?s got a couple of years lined up in France next to top the pension up. Great bloke

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 05, 2023, 08:51:53 PM »

Potentially a year deal with an option for an extension that tigers didnt activate? Don't think tigers fans were particularly miffed to see him go as he hasnt been great for them. Time catches up with everyone I suppose - even someone as ageless as Jimmy!

Maybe the young whipper snapper Mike Brown usurped him!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 06, 2023, 08:31:27 AM »
This tweet shows Sam Spink's progress at Western Force and like Jack why players should be allowed to travel to develop.

https://twitter.com/westernforce/status/1654273248949858309?t=FK5mhUZmkAYI073mAKHRGg&s=19

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 06, 2023, 08:46:47 AM »
This tweet shows Sam Spink's progress at Western Force and like Jack why players should be allowed to travel to develop.

https://twitter.com/westernforce/status/1654273248949858309?t=FK5mhUZmkAYI073mAKHRGg&s=19

I doubt anyone disagrees that players will improve by playing home or abroad, and that playing in different leagues with different styles rounds their game.

While it's the RFU that enforces the rule about not playing for England if you play abroad, it's always been the clubs that have pushed it.
I doubt the RFU cares where the players play, but the clubs don't want to see their assets leave and they have the RFU over a barrel