Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 141785 times)

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #870 on: December 18, 2023, 12:06:27 AM »
Nice to see Fisilau drive Dan Frost over the line for Exeter's first try. Two ex Wasps in tandem.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 18, 2023, 12:02:58 PM »
I can see Greg leap-frogging Tom Willis and Alfie for a regular England slot. He seems more robust, and he has an incredible engine.

It is great to see the faith Baxter has in him - he is the starting 8 at 20.

A big hand to Dan Frost as well who is almost undroppable despite some occasionally wayward throws.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 19, 2023, 01:44:16 PM »
I can see Greg leap-frogging Tom Willis and Alfie for a regular England slot.

Sadly I can see all three stuck behind Billy V, until he gets injured, and even then it'll probably be one of the Curry's playing out of position.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 19, 2023, 06:06:20 PM »
And they will get bored waiting and leave.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 20, 2023, 10:09:22 AM »
And they will get bored waiting and leave.

These are professional players, used to the vagaries of selection. I would expect none of them would have an issue if the player in front was playing brilliant rugby, they would just work harder to get selection. But Billy has looked a liability at England level. IMO England would have been in the world cup final if Lewis Ludlum had come on in the semi instead of Billy.
So you may well be right,
I hope Borthwick will thin out some of the dead wood from his squad for the 6 nations but I have my doubts....

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 20, 2023, 10:46:20 AM »
I simply don't trust Borthwick on selection.
Billy being one of the more egregious cases in point.
I think Borthwick will ruin Smith as well.
But you could argue that Borthwick is just continuity Jones without the twatish statements and clever nonsense like 'finishers'.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 20, 2023, 11:29:09 AM »
Whilst not necessarily disagreeing WWW, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He did after all pension Ben Youngs off earlier than I expected.
TBH, its not his selection which worries me, he selects a team based on how he wants to play. He needs to change his game plan to a more expansive, risky & entertaining style then pick a team accordingly. If he doesn't he may as well keep picking Sale/Tigers/Sarries players.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 20, 2023, 05:39:15 PM »
Whilst not necessarily disagreeing WWW, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He did after all pension Ben Youngs off earlier than I expected.
TBH, its not his selection which worries me, he selects a team based on how he wants to play. He needs to change his game plan to a more expansive, risky & entertaining style then pick a team accordingly. If he doesn't he may as well keep picking Sale/Tigers/Sarries players.

He will need to bin Farrell completly before he gets my support. We should be building now for RWC 2027. It would not concern me if we lost all our 6N games for the next two years, if the outcome delivers a squad that has a convincing chance of winning it. He has a lot to learn from SCW.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 23, 2023, 01:47:12 PM »
Jacob doing well with Benetton today three conversions and a try and it isbonly half time. Malakai and Paolo also playing.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 23, 2023, 02:59:47 PM »
Jacob doing well with Benetton today three conversions and a try and it isbonly half time. Malakai and Paolo also playing.

Paolo try and Jacob perfect 5 from 5.

Also Wade gets a try in a rare match for him.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 23, 2023, 08:32:21 PM »
I agree the absolute worry is style. Imagine England in the big groups where we would definitely have gone in, say, Scotland's place. Imagine out at the group stages playing that brand of rugby.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 24, 2023, 10:14:57 AM »

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 24, 2023, 10:34:44 AM »
Charlie Atkinson to Gloucester

https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/content/charlie-atkinson-joins-the-cherry-whites

It?s unusual to move mid-season but Shilcock appears to have overtaken him in the pecking order. Hopefully Gloucester will better suit him.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 24, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »

https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/content/charlie-atkinson-joins-the-cherry-whites

It?s unusual to move mid-season but Shilcock appears to have overtaken him in the pecking order. Hopefully Gloucester will better suit him.

I wondered if it was Charlie when I saw Glaws' list of subs yesterday

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 24, 2023, 01:09:54 PM »

I wondered if it was Charlie when I saw Glaws' list of subs yesterday

It wasn't, they already have 2 Atkinson's!