Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 141320 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #930 on: January 15, 2024, 05:07:31 PM »
Been cited for both yellows as potential reds!

So he should be but never heard of this before!
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 15, 2024, 06:24:29 PM »
Everyone makes mistakes when they are young, but you don't expect them to go on making the same boo-boos when they are older, esp. when they are athletes (thereby having a shorter professional life than non-athletes).  I'd have just thought that he'd learn from experience 'cos he's not daft.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 15, 2024, 07:46:48 PM »
Everyone makes mistakes when they are young, but you don't expect them to go on making the same boo-boos when they are older, esp. when they are athletes (thereby having a shorter professional life than non-athletes).  I'd have just thought that he'd learn from experience 'cos he's not daft.

What mistakes does he keep making?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 15, 2024, 08:36:38 PM »
Yellow and red card ones!  Maybe I'm just expecting too much of him.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 15, 2024, 09:53:28 PM »

Maybe his defence for the second one will be that they should have got the first one right and sent him off so he wouldn't have been there to commit the second!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 16, 2024, 09:25:48 AM »

Maybe his defence for the second one will be that they should have got the first one right and sent him off so he wouldn't have been there to commit the second!
I can think of someone currently playing for a north London club and is tipped to go to France who would get away with that defence. His defence for the first one would be that he was distracted as he was thinking about the old lady he?d helped to cross the road that morning. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 16, 2024, 09:40:05 AM »
Yellow and red card ones!

Well according to the stats Sundays cards were his first of either colour for the season, so hardly mistakes that he keeps making....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 16, 2024, 10:10:13 AM »
Yellow and red card ones!

Well according to the stats Sundays cards were his first of either colour for the season, so hardly mistakes that he keeps making....

That's because he has been injured for some time.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 16, 2024, 01:37:02 PM »
The stats show Alfie has played 50 matches & has 4 yellow cards.
One straight red while playing for England u20 that really was stupid.

For a player that is all about contact & physicality, he's always going to get a few tackles wrong.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 16, 2024, 02:13:36 PM »
Christian Wade was warming up with the rest of the R92 squad & looked in god nick. Would love to see him playing in the prem again.
Thomas Young looked really good after some time out injured for Cardiff. Two tries & hasn't lost any of his speed!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 16, 2024, 02:24:31 PM »
Wade played last week and scored. His playing time has been decimated by the arrival of Arundell.

He was travelling reserve at the weekend.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 16, 2024, 03:36:41 PM »
The stats show Alfie has played 50 matches & has 4 yellow cards.
One straight red while playing for England u20 that really was stupid.

For a player that is all about contact & physicality, he's always going to get a few tackles wrong.

;D well, quite. 

There didn?t seem to be much of a basis to the opinion other than he had two cards in one game. 

To then declare that he?s an immature twerp, who?s demeanour changed when he moved from Hooker to Back Row and doesn?t seem to be able to learn from the (largely non existant) Yellow and Red cards he keeps (not) getting felt a stretch.

Mind you, it?d be boring if we all agreed with each other and I suppose we all have our off days.

asteriskszegol

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 16, 2024, 04:23:33 PM »
We just ended up keeping BT when our contract came up because its offer was as good as any other, and it included TNT: this has meant rather more rugby on offer to us than we'd been expecting, so we've been keeping a bit of an eye on ex-Waspies like Alfie over the last few weeks. (Some really good good matches, by the way - just a shame we've no skin in the game any more!)

I've got to say, I'm tending towards Wonky's view here: there's something for me that's not quite right about Alfie's approach. OK, he was clearly unwell the week before last - came on late, had an impact for 5 mins then vanished until throwing up on camera at the end - so nothing to see there, really. But on Saturday, he just wasn't always very bright. For a man who exploded onto the scene by dint of the fact that no-one knew what on earth he was going to do next - bash it up, throw a dummy, kick for touch, step 3 tacklers - he seems to have become quite one-dimensional. All he does do now is head for contact. Billy V 2.0, as it were. OK, he makes yards usually - but, as has been predicted since his Bloxham days, his opponents are wise to this now, and at least as big (and, by the looks of him) a lot fitter as well, so nothing much results usually. His try came when he added a step into what he was doing.

Since the Eddie days, he seems to have been channelled into this pattern of play, which is rather a lot less than he initially promised. I'm not sure he's the right player for only being an enforcer: he's actually a bit clumsy because he has to try too hard. Hence the two transgressions at the weekend, both of which quite possibly merited a red card on their own. Now one thing he's not is an intentionally dirty player - but things surely aren't right if he is not correcting this week by week. Having seen a fair bit of him recently, I am beginning to wonder if it's a bit of a theme - and maybe, hence Wonky's observation.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 16, 2024, 05:22:35 PM »
Thank you so much, asteriskszegol.  You explained so well exactly what I think but explained very poorly.  My thoughts precisely.  I have always admired Alfie  but have never been happy with him as an 8;  it just didn't  seem to suit him and I thought his all-round  play suffered.  Which (given his obvious talents and abilities) was a shame. 

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 16, 2024, 05:54:00 PM »
For those who think Alfie is becoming a one dimensional player, I suggest you look at his try from the weekend. Shortly beforehand, he ran into Kolisi and was stopped. On this occasional he skipped laterally and beat three defenders, including Kolisi, then launched himself at the line and stretched out to score.

I doubt if any other back row in England would have scored that.