Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps fc  (Read 963 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps fc
« on: October 24, 2022, 12:41:22 AM »
https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/wasps-fc-amateur-rugby-club-premiership-1929186

At least it’s a fairly positive story, apart from making sure funds are there for womens team and fixtures becoming walkovers.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps fc
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 02:10:59 AM »
I can't comment too much on the league that Wasps FC are in but I can comment on a level 10 league.
There are a number of factors - including distance between clubs (some clubs have to do journeys of 2 hours or so round trips), some clubs draft in ringers (if it happens to be a 3rd XV of a club who's got teams in higher leagues for example).
No wonder participation numbers are dropping. These are guys (in my example) who don't want to give up a whole day for rugby where the game has potential to be uncompetitive.
This is excluding the safety concerns that stop children participating.
There are so many issues with rugby at the moment. I think the only way the RFU would truly listen is if ticket sales at Twickenham significantly dropped and maybe their favourite prem teams.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 07:02:23 AM »
"some clubs draft in ringers (if it happens to be a 3rd XV of a club who's got teams in higher leagues for example)"

My local club (Marlow) play in Tier 7, the same league - Southern Counties North - as Chinnor III. Chinnor 1sts play in National 1. Both teams are unbeaten after 7 games and Chinnor have 35 pts to Marlow's 34.

I can't help but feel that they has to be some element of giving National 1 players, a run out in the 3rds
 if they are returning from injuries at times!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 09:22:59 AM »
"some clubs draft in ringers (if it happens to be a 3rd XV of a club who's got teams in higher leagues for example)"

My local club (Marlow) play in Tier 7, the same league - Southern Counties North - as Chinnor III. Chinnor 1sts play in National 1. Both teams are unbeaten after 7 games and Chinnor have 35 pts to Marlow's 34.

I can't help but feel that they has to be some element of giving National 1 players, a run out in the 3rds
 if they are returning from injuries at times!

That would be crazy and I'm sure not completely wide of the mark either!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 09:37:00 AM »
I've regularly found 3rd teams of clubs are stronger than 2nds as they are often vets based. They just want to continue playing with their mates and no interest in playing 2s to push first team plus add in a few young flyers often sons of the vets & their friends!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 11:57:14 AM »
...distance between clubs (some clubs have to do journeys of 2 hours or so round trips)
The RFU have restructured the leagues this season to try to prevent this.

My club Hitchin were in the same league as Wasps FC last season, with my son in the 1st team, though we are now in Counties 1 at level 7 having been promoted.

I play in the 3rd team, but we can't get the numbers this season. The only time we did the opposition cried off. I've managed to sub a couple of times for the 2nds.