Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hope?  (Read 37503 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Hope?
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2022, 08:53:51 PM »
The RFU had a golden egg- those internationals need to fund the elite club game, not the bloody gin cabinet. Internationals buried on Prime do not help long term either. They need to be on terrestrial, even if not all of them.

But how to exploit that golden egg if they don't go where the money is (pay per view)?
Also remember that the RFU is non-profit organisation, yes, there are some amateur members of the RFU council with their noses in the trough but the RFU spends the vast majority of any profit it makes on the game, both professional & grass roots.
You have identified the question, there are no easy answers, as every single exclusive Prime or otherwise match will shrink the game in the long run. The answer has to be a split model with games on TV and others off to Pay TV, a bit like BT and C4.
Sadly, non profit is all blown away by stories like this.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/cash-strapped-rfu-have-done-the-unthinkable-refusing-to-cut-expenses-budget-of-55-member-council/

That is a VERY old story. Over two years old.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2022, 09:38:35 PM »
Quote from: wasps

the 2 biggest sports in this country aren't on terrestrial tv

You need to build the support base through free to air tv. Once you have grown the demand then you can cash in by going to pay tv

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 23, 2022, 12:12:06 PM »
But surely the 6 Nations are on free to view TV (ignoring the need for a TV licence) ?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2022, 11:46:34 PM »
The RFU had a golden egg- those internationals need to fund the elite club game, not the bloody gin cabinet. Internationals buried on Prime do not help long term either. They need to be on terrestrial, even if not all of them.

But how to exploit that golden egg if they don't go where the money is (pay per view)?
Also remember that the RFU is non-profit organisation, yes, there are some amateur members of the RFU council with their noses in the trough but the RFU spends the vast majority of any profit it makes on the game, both professional & grass roots.
You have identified the question, there are no easy answers, as every single exclusive Prime or otherwise match will shrink the game in the long run. The answer has to be a split model with games on TV and others off to Pay TV, a bit like BT and C4.
Sadly, non profit is all blown away by stories like this.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/cash-strapped-rfu-have-done-the-unthinkable-refusing-to-cut-expenses-budget-of-55-member-council/

That is a VERY old story. Over two years old.
There have been no stories since about them cutting it, and it is the same RFU.
Unless there has been a reversal story I missed, of course.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2022, 01:03:12 PM »
Apparently the Wasps signs have been removed from the CBSA.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2022, 04:29:16 PM »
It would be great to get some kind of official update on where the Phoenix buy out is. It doesn't have to be detailed, just an update on progress would be nice.
Got a nasty feeling there's too many obstacles to it ever happening, but would really love to be wrong...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2022, 04:40:48 PM »
It would be great to get some kind of official update on where the Phoenix buy out is. It doesn't have to be detailed, just an update on progress would be nice.
Got a nasty feeling there's too many obstacles to it ever happening, but would really love to be wrong...

There was a post last week that it should be expected in about 4 weeks certainly before Christmas. 

I suspect those bidding haven't a clue about what the RFU/PRL want especially after last week's ripping to shreds.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2022, 04:45:49 PM »

Unless there is a miracle, we are now history.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2022, 04:51:02 PM »

Unless there is a miracle, we are now history.
This unfortunately.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 28, 2022, 05:26:18 PM »
Very very sadly and reluctantly, I agree. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 28, 2022, 06:26:36 PM »
Not sure I read too much into this. I imagine a load of signage will come down to be replaced with stuff advertising Big Mike’s tat emporium.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:25 PM »
Not sure I read too much into this. I imagine a load of signage will come down to be replaced with stuff advertising Big Mike’s tat emporium.

What Gieves & Hawkes?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 28, 2022, 07:13:53 PM »
They made rotten overcoats when I was in the Navy.  Stiff, heavy, cold, unbending;  Bit like their present owner.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 28, 2022, 07:51:48 PM »
I did pick something up (can’t remember where from) that the RFU were insisting any new base had to be in “the vicinity” of the CBSA. So maybe not a dealbreaker.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 28, 2022, 08:02:16 PM »
Don't you just love the RFU.    >:(