Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hope?  (Read 37643 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hope?
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2022, 10:54:21 PM »
Exactly. And a championship team at the CBS will lose cash hand over fist.

Why?

Isn't that obvious? It's a huge facility to operate for just a handful of people paying Championship ticket prices. Anyone in and around Coventry with an interest in watching live Championship rugby is already doing it. Wasps as the only Premiership team in Coventry proved unsustainable. Wasps as a second Championship team in Coventry is a complete non starter.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2022, 08:28:31 AM »
Exactly. And a championship team at the CBS will lose cash hand over fist.

Why?

Isn't that obvious? It's a huge facility to operate for just a handful of people paying Championship ticket prices. Anyone in and around Coventry with an interest in watching live Championship rugby is already doing it. Wasps as the only Premiership team in Coventry proved unsustainable. Wasps as a second Championship team in Coventry is a complete non starter.

But we have no idea what it costs to run the stadium or what it might cost with a new owner.

The only info I have is that it used to cost approx. £6k to open the South stand when there was a big match back before COVID, one of the guys at Wasps told me this.

There are rumours that CCFC pay 25-30k per match.

So, taking that at face value if with the reduced attendances Wasps only opened the West and maybe North Stands it may cost them £15-20k a match.

I can imagine 3-4k attendance as a number of people in Coventry have invested 8 years of their lives in following Wasps and will continue to do so plus any travelling fans who have followed the club longer, attendances were still around 8-9k this season, so at an average of £20 a ticket that's £80k per match potentially, plus Food and beverage.
Yes, there are other costs but that's what Sponsorship, merchandise etc. are there to help with as we build again as a team, although looking at the account's sponsorship income was only approx £3.7M in 2019. (Something I couldn't find broken out in Exeter's accounts on a quick glance surprisingly)

It's really difficult to say what was and wasn't working financially for Wasps as servicing the debt was a big cost (approx. £4M according to accounts). There are also some other very big costs on the accounts, like £11M administrative expenses vs £2M for the same in Exeter's accounts, no idea what this covers, for info Exeter Staff costs were also almost £2.0M higher. (£12.6M)

Looking at the accounts for both, upto June 2021, Exeter lost £8M that year, Wasps lost £7.9M (both before tax) After Tax it was £6.4M & £7.4M respectively. Which shows the full house of cards Rugby currently is.

I don't think it's ideal financially to be at the CBS in the Championship, but to say it will never work I don't think is correct. Plus people proposing we go to small stadia somewhere, we would need a contract with somewhere with over 10k seats if we wanted to get back to the Prem, that contract would have a level of cost whether we got promoted or not.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2022, 08:41:13 AM »
Plus you have the RFU requirements of stay where you are or be demoted to the bottom of the leagues (as London Welsh).
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2022, 10:00:17 PM »
There’s a huge cost difference between running the stadium and being a tenant. And remember, we’ve got to play somewhere, so there will be costs wherever we go. The real anchor point for me is the training centre. I just can’t see the point of moving a long way from that.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2022, 10:53:04 PM »
So it's either the CBS or a different stadium or a new-build pdq at the Epic?  I'd love the 3rd 'option' (it is much nearer to my home) but .... transport?  Unless it was park and ride.  And the neighbours might not be happy about a stadium.  Unless it could incorporate something  which would be available games-wise to the  general public. Difficult.  Probably impossible.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »
So it's either the CBS or a different stadium or a new-build pdq at the Epic?

Except that according to "Rugby & the Law" any phoenix Wasps buy out has to be able to show they can stay at their current stadium for 3 years.
As has been mentioned elsewhere, no idea how flexible this requirement would be if, for example, a new owner of the CBS doesn't want Wasps there.
Where to play is only one of may issues to be worked through & agreed, lets hope there is enough time & enough will from all parties to get it done.
That last part is what is worrying me....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2022, 10:03:49 AM »
I would think it is beginning to get late to consider getting (signing) players for next season - usually all done and dusted by the turn of the year.

The title "Hope?" I am afraid is beginning to fade at increasing speed.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2022, 10:19:02 AM »
The critical timeline is, IMO, whatever the end date for the buy out being completed is.
What happens if it doesn't get completed in time? Will there be other potential buyers? Will the RFU etc call time on the process? What happens if they do? Is there deadline for teams to be entered into the Championship?
so many questions, but little detail in the public domain (& I do understand there are probably very good reasons why its not public)

The ability to sign up of a squad next season will become irrelevant if there's no team & no place in the champ to play in....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »
I am sure (?) the RFU are working on it but you can't help feeling they are concentrating on the AIs and Women’s WC. With little things like Wasps and Worcester set aside. The next thing will be - oh it's December and the slow down towards Christmas!

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2022, 10:40:28 AM »
New Wasps need to find a friendly council, as Bath have. They rent The Recreation Ground land for just £27k pa and have used temporary stands for over 20 years. Current capacity 14,500.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2022, 10:48:37 AM »
New Wasps need to find a friendly council, as Bath have. They rent The Recreation Ground land for just £27k pa and have used temporary stands for over 20 years. Current capacity 14,500.

If the RFU allow a move from the CBSA without penalty.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2022, 11:41:04 AM »

It's not cheap - according to local papers - "The club currently spends around £1m per season to erect temporary stands at the Rec"

Which is why they want to rebuild with an 18k seater stadium.

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2022, 12:23:10 PM »
Take the local PR with a pinch of salt. Only one stand is taken down each Summer (none in 2020/21). It costs much less than £1m but even at that level, it is less than £5 per ticket. The aim of the proposed new ground is to increase commercial and non-rugby activity and the est. £65m cost may be bond-funded...... 

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »

FWIW I also think it's difficult to compare a club like Bath to Wasps. Clubs like Bath, Leicester, Northampton etc. have long histories and therefore strong connections to their local community. I might be wrong, but I don't believe Wasps ever had that. That's not to say it's impossible though!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2022, 03:27:21 PM »
We certainly have a long history. It's just more varied.