Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hope?  (Read 37609 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hope?
« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2022, 04:33:46 PM »
''It's not about a city; it's not about a town; it's not about a place.  It's about the people.''

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »
We certainly have a long history. It's just more varied.

Absolutely and I appreciate how my initial comment may have come across suggesting that Wasps didn't have a history (we of course have a very long, rich history).

''It's not about a city; it's not about a town; it's not about a place.  It's about the people.''

100% and this is what makes Wasps so unique.

I just think that Wasps have probably had a harder time finding a home and are probably perceived as an unwelcome guest by others (I can only comment with how Wasps were received by some in Coventry). Whereas other clubs, like Leicester/Northampton/Bath/Gloucester, you could say "have always been there", therefore I'd imagine it's easier to get what they want.

I'd imagine it being harder for a clubs like Wasps where they try to establish a home for themselves and trying to win over the local population (referring to Coventry again, it's not like many people were sorry to see us go).

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2022, 05:03:22 PM »
135 years in West London, then a further 12 a short drive up the M40. Coventry was a move too far.
The clubs mentioned identify very specifically with individual towns and cities, and the people of those towns and cities therefore have little problem identifying with the rugby club.
London clubs have never had that same identity as their geography is a somewhat blurred area of urban sprawl with no defined boundary.
The line about the club not being about a place was sentimental bullshit spouted to justify upping sticks and trying to establish roots miles from their main supporter base in a city where they were largely unwanted.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2022, 05:59:27 PM »
Where did that line come from,  DGP Wasp?  Other than Twitter of course, which is where I found it. It might be what you called  it but I do  find it descriptive of the peripatetic Wasp.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »
Our new name should be Peripatetic Wasps

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2022, 06:24:05 PM »
 ;)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2022, 07:31:46 PM »
Where did that line come from,  DGP Wasp?  Other than Twitter of course, which is where I found it. It might be what you called  it but I do  find it descriptive of the peripatetic Wasp.

I'm not on Twitter, so wrong on that count.  :)

Not disagreeing with the sentiment that Wasps transcends straightforward geography, but the notion that we are a nomadic, almost Barbarians-like club who exist as some kind of intangible entity with no need for anywhere to call home is fanciful. The disastrous Coventry move proves that "Wherever I Lay My Hat" is no basis on which to run professional rugby club. The romance of that notion was heavily tapped into to appease critics of the move, and it never sat very comfortably with me.

Wasps have their roots, and still a considerable fan base in West London. That's where the Wasps "spirit" is strongest, and right now it's about all we've got.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2022, 08:00:50 PM »
To a large extent I agree with you  DGP,. This little quote just fits my mood at the moment.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2022, 08:19:16 PM »
Lol has used this quote several times on BT Sport recently.

I agree with him. Having supported Wasps for 40 years I probably have more memories of people than of specific games, though I remember quite a few exciting ones, including the 15 Cup finals I went to, of which we won 10. My kids went to 11 of those and we only lost the last one in extra time!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2022, 08:20:48 PM »
DGP I know the point you’re making. But at the CBS a lot of the people around me were from Coventry and the locale. They had bought into Wasps 100%. We shouldn’t dismiss that as a fan base (I know that wasn’t really what you were doing). In any case we’re potentially not choosing where/if we end up next.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »
I wonder who has the money? At least one of them must.

Now they need some players, as few 'coaches' as possible (watching the borefest that the Prem was this and last week, caused IMHO by pro coaching micro management and awful officiating), and a ground.
Someone mentions in that Twitter thread that some of the players from the ‘80s & ‘90s were well connected with city types.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2022, 09:26:39 PM »
Looking up that quote on Google not only have I misquoted it but  it looks as if Lol did too  -  and if he did that's OK by me!  It seems to be misquoted all over.  But I stick with it's message.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2022, 10:04:58 PM »
While it's taken a terrible turn, I struggle to class the last 8 years as disastrous.

Arguably you could say the move to high Wycombe was disastrous too because that was within minutes/hours of ending the same way.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2022, 11:01:12 PM »
Plus 1.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2022, 11:27:11 PM »
While it's taken a terrible turn, I struggle to class the last 8 years as disastrous.

Arguably you could say the move to high Wycombe was disastrous too because that was within minutes/hours of ending the same way.

Very good point, we don't think of the fans from High Wycombe as somehow less that the original London fans either.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here