Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hope?  (Read 37663 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hope?
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2022, 10:47:12 AM »
Regardless of what has happened on the pitch in the past 8 years (a couple of finals, one European semi, but no silverware), the outcome is undeniably disastrous.

8 major trophies in a 6 year period during our time in Wycombe is a considerably better return, and yes we were just as deep in the mire financially by the end of that time, with no money, no home of our own and no other revenue streams, and only the Cov move saved us then, but ultimately all that achieved was a stay of execution and further debt accrual.

I admire the Cov based fans who have really embraced Wasps, and I know there are many on here and I mean them no disrespect.  However, I have a work colleague who lives in Warwickshire and started going with his family to watch Wasps when they moved to the Ricoh (as was), having previously not followed the domestic game.  When he heard the news of Wasps demise, his reaction was "We'll have to go to Tigers or Saints now", and I can't help but feel that this is probably true for many more Midlands-based Wasps fans (present company excepted of course!).  Exactly the reaction PRL want, namely that enough fans will simply move along to somewhere else to make Wasps and Worcester's fate commercially irrelevant..

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »
Exactly the reaction PRL want, namely that enough fans will simply move along to somewhere else to make Wasps and Worcester's fate commercially irrelevant..

That's a bit disingenuous.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2022, 11:42:23 AM »
My visits to live games have been curtailed due to geography and health - but even as a self identifying Wasp since before the 87 RWC (my marker, no other reason. I was there and liked watching Wasps players turn out for England) I'd happily go to games involving other teams. My mate - the Tigers fan had family working there which meant I got to their final vs Sale at Twickenham back in 2006, and my neighbour has two Bath season tickets and I occasionally get to go and it's fun.

Not sure what my point is...doh....but I will probably end up going to odd games, they'll be much nearer than Coventry for me (i.e. Bath, Briz, Glaws)  - but not with any feeling of supporting. More the liking of going to an event.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »
Nobody I know from around where we sat - that includes LR, AP and Midlands people have transferred to any other PRL club. Most are now supporting Level 2 downwards local clubs. Many do not even watch much PRL now on TV.

Those that keep banging on about a return to "London" always state that the old fans will come out to support. I very much doubt it bar a few would turn up. We supported through moves and preferred Coventry for access. If Wasps bucked the Met Police and moved to inside the M25 they would certainly lose us from attending. I avoid the cesspit that london has become and I know many who feel the same.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2022, 12:16:26 PM »
Regardless of what has happened on the pitch in the past 8 years (a couple of finals, one European semi, but no silverware), the outcome is undeniably disastrous.

8 major trophies in a 6 year period during our time in Wycombe is a considerably better return, and yes we were just as deep in the mire financially by the end of that time, with no money, no home of our own and no other revenue streams, and only the Cov move saved us then, but ultimately all that achieved was a stay of execution and further debt accrual.

I admire the Cov based fans who have really embraced Wasps, and I know there are many on here and I mean them no disrespect.  However, I have a work colleague who lives in Warwickshire and started going with his family to watch Wasps when they moved to the Ricoh (as was), having previously not followed the domestic game.  When he heard the news of Wasps demise, his reaction was "We'll have to go to Tigers or Saints now", and I can't help but feel that this is probably true for many more Midlands-based Wasps fans (present company excepted of course!).  Exactly the reaction PRL want, namely that enough fans will simply move along to somewhere else to make Wasps and Worcester's fate commercially irrelevant..

You state no disrespect then go on to disrespect us.

It's a shame the 'older' fans seem to be trying to drive wedges between the different supporter bases, when there is actually none other than people thinking they are more important than others, just because one of your colleagues decided to go to watch a team elsewhere doesn't mean the rest of us are. I went to the Quins vs Baabaas match last night to support the ex-wasps guys playing and hated it, it wasn't Wasps. I'll only go back to club rugby when Wasps are back, wherever that happens to be.

Yes my 1st Wasps game was in 2014, but I've missed about 3 home matches since, gone to numerous away matches and myself and my other half have been heavily invested in following and supporting wasps for 8 years, but in your mind someone who started watching wasps at Adams park is more important. Complete bollocks, more people in Coventry came out to watch Wasps than did so at AP, that is a fact. Even the last few games were above the AP norm.
People claim the Coventry move killed Wasps, perhaps it did, but it had nothing to do with the people supporting the club or the city, we are hurting as much as anyone, it was all, IMHO down to Derek and his advisors, they made the financial decisions.

It's time for supporters to stop driving wedges because of some perceived superiority complex and work together once a plan is announced to support ALL OUR club.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2022, 12:33:01 PM »

It's time for supporters to stop driving wedges because of some perceived superiority complex and work together once a plan is announced to support ALL OUR club.

Quite right, andermt. I've supported Wasps when they were at Loftus Road (STH) and I have never felt the slightest bit superior to those who came after. Sadly, I never managed to get to Coventry and was not at all bitter when we moved there. I know some so called fans were outraged at the move and would not countenance visiting our new home. In my case, a 'sensitive' (legacy of radiotherapy for prostrate cancer) bladder makes any distance travelling a risky business.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2022, 12:34:46 PM »

You state no disrespect then go on to disrespect us.

It's a shame the 'older' fans seem to be trying to drive wedges between the different supporter bases, when there is actually none other than people thinking they are more important than others, just because one of your colleagues decided to go to watch a team elsewhere doesn't mean the rest of us are. I went to the Quins vs Baabaas match last night to support the ex-wasps guys playing and hated it, it wasn't Wasps. I'll only go back to club rugby when Wasps are back, wherever that happens to be.

Yes my 1st Wasps game was in 2014, but I've missed about 3 home matches since, gone to numerous away matches and myself and my other half have been heavily invested in following and supporting wasps for 8 years, but in your mind someone who started watching wasps at Adams park is more important. Complete bollocks, more people in Coventry came out to watch Wasps than did so at AP, that is a fact. Even the last few games were above the AP norm.
People claim the Coventry move killed Wasps, perhaps it did, but it had nothing to do with the people supporting the club or the city, we are hurting as much as anyone, it was all, IMHO down to Derek and his advisors, they made the financial decisions.

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2022, 12:50:50 PM »
The Coventry based fans are not the problem, for me DR was well out of his depth, making multiple mistakes and maybe listening to people who were giving him bad advise. Every day that goes by the angrier I get with the people who ran the club. Also it looks like the bondholders will also lose out, it's a really sorry state and shameful 

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2022, 01:55:02 PM »
It is what is is.

Sadly, us fans, have zero influence on the outcome.

If we do rise from the ashes, then I will be attending matches to watch the 'new' club.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2022, 02:00:46 PM »

Quite right, andermt. I've supported Wasps when they were at Loftus Road (STH) and I have never felt the slightest bit superior to those who came after. Sadly, I never managed to get to Coventry and was not at all bitter when we moved there. I know some so called fans were outraged at the move and would not countenance visiting our new home. In my case, a 'sensitive' (legacy of radiotherapy for prostrate cancer) bladder makes any distance travelling a risky business.

You describe those who were outraged at the move and would not countenance visiting our new home as "so called fans".  So who's the one being superior?

If I've come across as feeling superior in any way then I apologise.  Not my intention and not how I feel at all.  I wanted to highlight a genuine example from a guy who describes (described?) himself as a Wasps supporter, someone I have enormous respect for who has said that he will simply go elsewhere for his Premiership rugby from now on, something which left me wondering how many more feel the same.  I'm not the first on here to suggest that this is what PRL would like to think will happen, so not sure how it's disingenuous to mention it.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2022, 02:19:57 PM »

You describe those who were outraged at the move and would not countenance visiting our new home as "so called fans".  So who's the one being superior?

If I've come across as feeling superior in any way then I apologise.  Not my intention and not how I feel at all.  I wanted to highlight a genuine example from a guy who describes (described?) himself as a Wasps supporter, someone I have enormous respect for who has said that he will simply go elsewhere for his Premiership rugby from now on, something which left me wondering how many more feel the same.  I'm not the first on here to suggest that this is what PRL would like to think will happen, so not sure how it's disingenuous to mention it.

It's down to my clumsy writing. I did not intend to give the impression of being 'superior '. It was my intention however to call out those who took umbrage at the move because it was a personal inconvenience. If I had been less decrepit I would have continued to support in person, though I would have been selective as to which matches I attended.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2022, 02:27:05 PM »
Nobody I know from around where we sat - that includes LR, AP and Midlands people have transferred to any other PRL club. Most are now supporting Level 2 downwards local clubs. Many do not even watch much PRL now on TV.

Those that keep banging on about a return to "London" always state that the old fans will come out to support. I very much doubt it bar a few would turn up. We supported through moves and preferred Coventry for access. If Wasps bucked the Met Police and moved to inside the M25 they would certainly lose us from attending. I avoid the cesspit that london has become and I know many who feel the same.

I think the London thing is a mirage. I don't think there are that many in London who will turn up at Wasps. Rugby attendances are poor at club level, London fans are few and far between.  However, I sypathise with the idea that CBS is not sustainable long term. Watching rugby in a stadium with 15 k attending should feel better than it does. A 15 K stadium where the CBS is would be fine. If there is a move closer to London, I doubt it would be in the M25.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2022, 03:10:15 PM »
In some ways the very fact we’ve attracted fans from London, Berkshire, The Midlands and anywhere else gives us some versatility as to where we go next. We’re all Wasps fans who just want a team to follow.

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 18, 2022, 03:51:37 PM »

My wife and I are from Wolverhampton and have been season ticket holders since2016-17. We will not be following or attending any other premiership clubs, We have not watched a premiership game since Wasps stopped playing. The premiership will get no money from us, however we do plan to watch Ealing Trailfinders in the New Year
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 05:38:44 PM by Nrgee »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 18, 2022, 04:10:13 PM »
Husband and I are with you all the way Nrgee, especially re: Trailing Eelfinders  -  if they're on TV.