Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hope?  (Read 37652 times)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hope?
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2022, 10:03:29 AM »
I think the possibility of us bouncing back up is probably quite far fetched. These are going to be lean times as if the cupboard was bare before, we're now rebuilding the walls before putting another, home made, cupboard back in.

But we're back to the pre Coventry problem. No stadium, no income. So how that gets sold to the RFU for them to approve the business plan is going to be a challenge.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2022, 10:11:34 AM »
Is there a salary cap in the Championship? Might be a struggle to afford all the players that we would like. It’s not like we can look to the EAs for an honourable benchmark of how to handle relegation.

Mind you, we went end up the Baxter’s 10 Team Premiership, with fewer fixtures and smaller squads, then a number of players will need to step down to the championship.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2022, 10:32:01 AM »
Is there a salary cap in the Championship? Might be a struggle to afford all the players that we would like. It’s not like we can look to the EAs for an honourable benchmark of how to handle relegation.

Mind you, we went end up the Baxter’s 10 Team Premiership, with fewer fixtures and smaller squads, then a number of players will need to step down to the championship.

I don't think there is a salary cap per se, but to be promoted to the Premiership, a club would have to prove that it operated within the salary cap for, I think, one season?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2022, 10:36:48 AM »
I think the possibility of us bouncing back up is probably quite far fetched. These are going to be lean times as if the cupboard was bare before, we're now rebuilding the walls before putting another, home made, cupboard back in.

But we're back to the pre Coventry problem. No stadium, no income. So how that gets sold to the RFU for them to approve the business plan is going to be a challenge.

No doubt we will find out in due course.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »

No doubt we will find out in due course.

I think due course may well be a while with the RFU involved!
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2022, 10:50:31 AM »
Well, they know they don't have to worry about it until some-time until the start of next season!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2022, 12:33:15 PM »
That's correct as I understand it.
No salary cap, but you have to abide by it if you wish to get promoted.

I don't know how much other championship clubs spend on salaries, but if we expect to have a squad of 40 players, then £50k each (average) would be £2 million per year.
Given that we'll be renting a stadium and paying for all other staff and running costs too, I can't imagine we can afford to go completely overboard on salaries.
And I can't imagine that too many of our previous senior players would be happy playing for £50k'ish per year.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2022, 12:38:05 PM »
My concerns about a consortium is who makes the final decisions or do they appoint a CEO who then makes decisions. How many senior players would be happy to play in the Championship? at a reduced salary. Can we afford top players? how much money does the consortium have?

A lot of questions need answering, its likely to be a long rocky road that could go nowhere.

Fingers crossed things work out but it does seem a lot of very high hurdles in the way. Hopefully as the weeks/months go by we will get more answers. It definitely isn't a done deal. 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2022, 12:48:07 PM »
Many of the players made redundant will not be signed by other clubs. Would they be prepared to continue at Wasps, in the Championship, at reduced wages or to give up professional rugby entirely? Depends I suppose if they have some other arrows in their quiver.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2022, 01:10:36 PM »
I don't know personally, but I have been informed that nearer to £1 million would be a typical salary expense in the Championship.

In general squads are smaller (Coventry have 32 players listed in their first team squad and 7 Development) and there are quite a few Premiership Loanees at some clubs (as we knew with Wasps) and I think there are only say 3 or 4 fully "full time professional clubs" (although there may be more that that now).

Lots of things to fall in to place I know but at least things seem to be happening and "good" people are trying.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2022, 01:20:13 PM »
Thank you Colonel  ...... good thinking and interesting too.  Agree on your last paragraph.  And now - back to Christmas cards and present wrapping;  it takes so much longer these days!! 

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »
Bloody hell Wonky, you're keen!  Will you be handing out mince pies to the trick or treaters this evening? :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2022, 02:23:37 PM »
She be late in the cards task!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2022, 02:31:24 PM »
Oh bless you DGP!  No, it's just that having slowed down rather it takes me a helluva lot longer to do things  .....  anything!!  Writing about 140 addresses not to mention letters  takes absolute yonks, and not many men are keen on 'doing' Christmas cards.  Presents I cheat with and bung 'em  in a fancy bag.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2022, 02:32:08 PM »
Cheeky kids!