Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hope?  (Read 37646 times)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hope?
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2022, 08:08:01 AM »
Morning all... been away and catching up on the Wasps news feels like we're in a much better place than we were a couple of weeks back.

Good to see both us and Worcester being "saved", and plans being laid for next season.

I know there's other threads about it but seeing the lads signing for other sides en masse (as opposed to the usual churn post-season) is pretty rough. Great news for them, but Josh in a Quins shirt... Charlie in a Tigers one... oof.

Anyway, just checking in really. Looking forward to next season now!

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2022, 12:21:59 PM »
Morning all... been away and catching up on the Wasps news feels like we're in a much better place than we were a couple of weeks back.

Good to see both us and Worcester being "saved", and plans being laid for next season.

I know there's other threads about it but seeing the lads signing for other sides en masse (as opposed to the usual churn post-season) is pretty rough. Great news for them, but Josh in a Quins shirt... Charlie in a Tigers one... oof.

Anyway, just checking in really. Looking forward to next season now!

Being a natural pessimist, I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »
At last, a legal article about how the new club can get back playing, with RFU approval:

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2022/11/01/worcester-warriors-wasps-rugby-creditors-rule-rfu-premiership-administration-insolvency-takeover/

It covers what a rugby creditor is:

“Rugby Creditor” means players, ex-players, coaches, medics, physiotherapists, strength and conditioning coaches and any other employee of a Club, referees, other rugby clubs or rugby bodies in England or elsewhere, the RFU and any RFU subsidiary or associated undertaking, any Constituent Body and any other person or entity whose income is wholly reliant on a Club and who directly supports the ability of that Club to play rugby.

There is a LOT of debt not covered by that, which I assume will get wiped clean. It does not include ticket holders. It looks like it does not include indirect employees either.

I am pleased the players will, in effect, be paid for this season. I wonder if they have to offset earnings from new contracts?

It also says that they have to be able to show they can play at the current ground (the CBS Arena) for at least next season (and beyond).  So, at least two seasons.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2022, 09:09:35 PM »
To be honest, I’m surprised that the definition of Rugby Related Debt extends beyond the RFU and its subsidiaries. Would have thought that the self-serving pr1cks that supposedly run out game would only be interested in themselves — and I’m not sure this would really be the case if push came to shove.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2022, 09:19:55 PM »
NWW. When you say players have to be paid for this season I assume you mean the portion of it they played? If so I’m sure I read they were paid until end of Sept so that debt should be minimal. The  CBSA criteria could be a deal breaker given the quagmire that negotiation seems to have become. Aside from the obvious cash needed that could become a big stumbling block.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2022, 07:35:54 AM »
NWW. When you say players have to be paid for this season I assume you mean the portion of it they played? If so I’m sure I read they were paid until end of Sept so that debt should be minimal. The  CBSA criteria could be a deal breaker given the quagmire that negotiation seems to have become. Aside from the obvious cash needed that could become a big stumbling block.

From how I read that, they have to be paid all of the season per their contracts. But, who knows? The wording is a bit woolly.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2022, 08:18:04 AM »
Ah, ok. So bigger debt but a possible retention tool in that with a years wages paid they may not have to go elsewhere. Take your point in terms of if that is what is meant.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2022, 09:02:22 AM »

From how I read that, they have to be paid all of the season per their contracts. But, who knows? The wording is a bit woolly.
Agreed. However I think any money received from other contracts and even statutory redundancy will offset the liability. The players and other staff just need to be "made whole".

However, given how capricious the RFU and PRL can be I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2022, 09:04:53 AM »
Would employment law really care about sporting seasons?
I would have thought that they'd either have to pay for the entire length of the contract, or ensure they they've been paid pro rata for the have they've played

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2022, 09:20:05 AM »
I suppose it will depend what the contract says. I would assume that not sports staff will be on something like 1 or 3 month notice periods key sports staff eg physios, might have an end of season clause.

I don’t know how it works with players.  They normally move at the end of seasons and their might be some sort of force majeure end of season clause. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2022, 09:39:21 AM »
Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere but have Wasps & Warriors both actually had their P shares removed or is that still to be decided?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »
Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere but have Wasps & Warriors both actually had their P shares removed or is that still to be decided?

Not yet
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2022, 11:19:43 AM »
Would employment law really care about sporting seasons?
I would have thought that they'd either have to pay for the entire length of the contract, or ensure they they've been paid pro rata for the have they've played

I read somewhere that 75% of the playing staff had a contract that expired at the end of this season anyway.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2022, 11:36:46 AM »
I think it was a comment from Lee when he was talking about how difficult getting new players and retention had been.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2022, 06:21:18 PM »
The only contracts signed in the last year were:
Tom West
Rodriguez Martinez
Zac Nearchou
Michael Van Vuren
Vincent Koch
John Ryan
Biyi Alo
Cam Dodson
Kiran McDonald
Theo Vuksanovic
Will Haydon-Wood
Olly Hartley
Burger Odendaal
Francois Hougaard.

Some of those may have been for 1 year.

All the other players' contracts would almost certainly be up this season.