Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Well...  (Read 3457 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well...
« on: December 15, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »
I guess based on my statement before tha match I should be happy with that.  We played fairly cohesively and we managed to score a few.

I'm going to rewatch it before making any major statements, but I'm wondering if the change in Captain might have been both the reason for the improvement and the dip in performance when Ash went off.

Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Well...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
I think the conditions got the better of us, and we ran out of steam. But, the best performance I have seen this year.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »
I didn't get to see the game, but can someone offer some objective views on Billy Searle and how he compared to Lima.

My feelings before this game were that Searle will have exciting moments as he's likely to play in a way that young players often do, however he's probably going to be very inconsistent.

Whereas Lima is going to be more consistent and have a higher skillset ceiling.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
I didn't get to see the game, but can someone offer some objective views on Billy Searle and how he compared to Lima.

My feelings before this game were that Searle will have exciting moments as he's likely to play in a way that young players often do, however he's probably going to be very inconsistent.

I didn't see the whole thing, but from what I saw Searle looked pretty solid with a fiarly good kicking game.  He did make one positional error that lead to Toulouse scoring a try, but that was just before he was taken off so I suspect he was gassed.

I would say I didn't see anything that would put him ahead of Lima in the pecking order.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 06:27:45 PM »

Difficult to do. I think Lima looks better in defence, but Searle better going forwards. Appalling conditions to play in though. although it is worse for the Leinster v Bath game (currently half time), with the brunt of Deidre hitting the players and crowd full on.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
Le Roux played a huge amount of first receiver. Which either means the coaching team aren't confident enough in Searle, or that Searle wasn't gettin ghimself in position enough.

Sops is better at being the general, getting and calling the play, even with the other voices, that I've seen.

They've both done well as far as I'm concerned, and I'd be happy to see either of them starting.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
Disappointed with the result but I think that the performance was improved in areas. I was happy with Nigel's officiating too.
What I certainly have noticed watching our game and then Munster's afterwards is that the French like a bit of a bit fiesty. Particularly when the Castres No. 7 feels the need to shout in celebration directly into Conor Murray's face after winning a penalty.  >:(

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:43:53 PM »
I thought Billy had a good game. Didn't seem overawed by the occasion. A shame he missed touch from an attacking penalty. Tried just for a little too much. I can't understand why some posters on the other site have it in for Lima so much. It wasn't so long ago that he was Flats' 10 in one of his Prem XVs. But I guess Flats knows sweet FA about rugby compared to some keyboard warrior.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »
I thought Searle did well but the flair Lima showed when he came on is what we need, those sparks of creativity combined with vision are game changers. Look at the opposition, Dupont was immense and was easily the best player on the pitch - flair and vision, though a few Toulouse players could have claimed that.  Our 9 did well but Dupont was in a different class, the key difference for me. Nigel Owens got the clout to Ross Neal's jaw wrong, it was a yellow IMHO, I thought Neal was excellent again - a star in the making.
It was fine when I left it.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 08:14:03 AM »
I thought Searle did well but the flair Lima showed when he came on is what we need, those sparks of creativity combined with vision are game changers. Look at the opposition, Dupont was immense and was easily the best player on the pitch - flair and vision, though a few Toulouse players could have claimed that.  Our 9 did well but Dupont was in a different class, the key difference for me. Nigel Owens got the clout to Ross Neal's jaw wrong, it was a yellow IMHO, I thought Neal was excellent again - a star in the making.

I agree about the hit on Neal. I though Owens ignoring it as it wasn't on purpose was strange.  It was an arm across the face in a tackle.  It doesn't matter whether they meant to do it or not, it's illegal.  Perhaps next time someone knocks the ball on they should just say they didn't mean to...

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
We managed to convincingly compete all around the pitch whilst also have an ability to get forward when in possession.  That was really encouraging and I'm crossing everything in hope that it is a turning point rather than one off.

It should give us a lot of hope going into the Bath game next week and help get the morale booster in the squad.

Searle looked real quality too, I think I would be starting him next week.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »
I do think that the first comment ref: captaincy rings true. When Joe is in the team, we have true leadership that both manages the team and the referee on the field. That has been lacking, Daly isn't a leader, Ashley Johnson does a good job in the role. Until Joe is fit we need a good captain that is prepared to lead and pull the team along with them. I also believe that Gopperth's influence on the field as one of the leaders is hampering us, not just his clear playing ability but his strength of character and organisational qualities - when exactly is Joe back?
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »
I do think that the first comment ref: captaincy rings true. When Joe is in the team, we have true leadership that both manages the team and the referee on the field. That has been lacking, Daly isn't a leader, Ashley Johnson does a good job in the role. Until Joe is fit we need a good captain that is prepared to lead and pull the team along with them. I also believe that Gopperth's influence on the field as one of the leaders is hampering us, not just his clear playing ability but his strength of character and organisational qualities - when exactly is Joe back?

Dai had originally said for the Quins game, but it might be delayed a week to the Saints game, but soon (plus Dan Robson). I don't think Jimmy is far away either.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »
I just hope we get Joe, Dan and Jack back soon, and they stay fit for the campaign. The boost those 3 players will bring, is huge.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »
...it was good to see some trys!

Was worried at about 20mins that Toulouse were going to achieve a 'cricket score', but Wasps stuck in and wouldn't just give up.

I especially liked our second try, I liked the way that in the phase or two earlier, after the break, Young took contact rather than fling a high risk offload. Could argue his support could have been closer or something, but it wasn't.

Despite cursing WLR a couple of times, I thought the team had the balance of risk about right.

I am loving the way 'a few championship players' have answered some of the criticism they received when they came in. By the way, funny tweet from Neal in response to the Rugby Inside line video showing him being stepped by Kobe;
"Embarrassing for whoever that was"
https://t.co/pa8WYlU2Ps

Odd thing about that is that I miss seeing Wade do that for us, but really enjoy watching Neil.

I notice Will Stuart has also posted a video of his break;
"I went for eternal glory, but like Icarus, I flew too close to the sun #fortunedoesnotfavourthebrave"
https://t.co/fDRGPzHoji
Had the kick not been blocked... or the subsequent defender not played the ball on the ground...