Always a Wasp

Author Topic: News incoming?  (Read 15159 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: News incoming?
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2022, 06:30:18 AM »
It’s just telling me that we will be in the championship for at least 3 years and if we want to be premiership club we most probably have to move again.

Don’t tell me it was our only option otherwise we won’t be in existence. 

I don’t won’t Wasps used again by some people trying to make money at the expense of the fans. Is this really existing or is it another rugby club that now has the same logo has we use to have

I'm on the fence at the moment. I don't know how I'll feel about this club until we've actually got a squad together and are taking to the field.

Personally, i don't think I have a problem with us being a championship club. I have no expectations of us getting promoted immediately. A club of 30-40 players thrown together within 6 months has absolutely no right to get promoted.

What other options do you feel are open to the new owners?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2022, 07:47:09 AM »
Westy. I think that our future will be a bit pick and mix of what you suggest.  Like many things it's probably just a case  of taking what comes along and hoping for the best.  I feel that we are in good hands with people  who have the Clubs best interests at heart and who have been involved in Wasps history.  Anyone who can extricate  us from that mess and still keep the Club breathing has my wholehearted  admiration and support. Solihull looks to be a good place. I'm  sure we all send our deepest sympathies to them concerning the loss of those four beautiful children 

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2022, 11:24:01 AM »
Some thinking later.

1. We are not now, nor will we be in the future, playing at the CBSA as our Home ground.
2. We need a ground right now that has maybe 5k capacity.
3. It is unlikely any rugby club will ground share with us.
4. We cannot build a ground in 8-9 months.
5. In order that the RFU would accept us back, we must ALREADY have a ground secured, and it must be in the Midlands (whatever that is).
6. If we rule out Coventry, and to the East of Coventry (as being too near Leicester and Northampton), and then look for major rail links, and proximity to the EPIC site, we are stuck with Warwick/Leamington/Kenilworth/Stratford and the East of Birmingham (the M42 corridor). There are no suitable grounds in the former, so M42 corridor it is.

The Damson Park (or whatever its current sponsor calls it) ground is the ONLY choice. Take it or leave it.

It is far from ideal:

A. It has limited parking and the access roads can get quite congested.
B. Birmingham International is the logical choice railway station, but walking from there would not be advisable. Very few safe footpaths. Local bus services exist (and they are good), but transfer buses might be needed.
C. Limited entertainment options (like bar etc.) make it just about OK for football, but far from ideal for rugby. The outdoor clubhouse is OK, but small.
D. The pitch barely copes with the soccer games played there, it would not cope with rugby as well.
E. The stands are far from well designed or made. There are 'plans' to convert the terraces at one end to seating, but that will not add much capacity.
F. It is not a long term solution, as it looks likely to be cleared for development in 2-3 years.

The ground has been used to share before and that did not work out well, so there is sentiment against another ground share.

The club is likely losing about £1m a year, and has a wide ownership base (the top few shareholders between them only own 10% of the shares). Somebody is (unwillingly) subsidising the club as it expands (I think the gate numbers are going upwards, and it could break if it was at capacity for most games).

The ground has a very limited future, meaning money put in will be lost very quickly.

I wonder what Wasps offered to make it (the hassle and negativity from soccer fans) worthwhile for the owners?

Maybe:

i. A new (artficial) pitch.
ii. Money.

I really can't see why Wasps would want to stay here.

JLR do not own the ground, but would appear (in partnership with ProLogis) to want to acquire the ground (or it will be compulsory purchased). Would there be a donation of some land locally for a new pitch, stands, car park, etc. But, all other land nearby is already earmarked for this big project, so there is no alternative. I found the local plan document which shows the Damson Parkway project swallowing up both this ground and the Birmingham Exiles Rugby Club grounds, in the 3rd phase of the project for the whole area, starting construction in 2025. That suggests the ground share might last at best 2-3 years, before the ground becomes a construction site.

You can read the plans here (a pdf):

https://solihull.oc2.uk/download/attachment/3302

Lots of pretty pictures, diagrams and maps.

What this means is that the Legends may have a deal sorted for now (I expect it is), but already they have to be negotiating for a new ground. Maybe a replacement for Solihull Moors, but, whatever site that might be, would likely offer a new ground also for the Birmingham Exiles Rugby Club. Would they want Wasps there too?

Does that leave Wasps falling back on getting involved with Warwick District Council with their Community Ground in Warwick? That might be ready at about the right time, just. It is already planned for the right size (10k capacity, or would we want more?). If they were really sensible, they would make it bigger, maybe 'copy' the Brentford stadium (https://www.afl-architects.com/projects/brentford-community-stadium)?

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2022, 11:36:54 AM »
One question now that we are confirmed as instated. What happens to the left over debt? as in to creditors such as local businesses?

Seen a lot of angry coventry based are unhappy that we seem to have got away with it and local businesses won't get repaid. I understand the bond was a risk but for local business it was supposed to be guaranteed.

Wondering if anyone new as want to make sure i have a rounded answer when asked on twitter/other rugby forums etc.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2022, 11:36:59 AM »
NWW - I think you might find the required ongoing RFU discussions will encompass the desire for promotion and what is needed. It is no secret what the requirements are. It will probably be kept under wraps for some time.

When I posted the link to their forum there were four comments on the Wasps thread. Now four pages and turning negative towards nasty. Not ideal. I note TRP state we are moving to Solihull but probably last journalistic license.
Let me tell you something cucumber

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2022, 12:53:28 PM »
JLR won't need the land the ground is on at the moment.I work at one of there other sites they have more than enough land to be going on with.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2022, 01:14:45 PM »
JLR won't need the land the ground is on at the moment.I work at one of there other sites they have more than enough land to be going on with.

The proposal comes from ProLogis, and not JLR, and from the drawings it looks like a distribution warehouse on that site.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2022, 01:21:17 PM »
Now four pages and turning negative towards nasty. Not ideal. I note TRP state we are moving to Solihull but probably last journalistic license.

Not all negative, and if you look at those posters, you will see they are far from happy bunnies on any thread that they post on.

Barneyhorse

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2022, 01:43:58 PM »
Surely just opening the main stand at the CBSA is the best option.
Self contained and areas can be expanded and hired as required.
Pitch relatively robust for both sports. may be easier, cheaper to maintain than at Solihull Moors or similar.
I think initially we will get between 5-10K and maintain it if we start winning.
Downside is old Wasps regime may have some bitterness with local businesses who have lost money.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2022, 01:47:17 PM »
Surely just opening the main stand at the CBSA is the best option.
Self contained and areas can be expanded and hired as required.
Pitch relatively robust for both sports. may be easier, cheaper to maintain than at Solihull Moors or similar.
I think initially we will get between 5-10K and maintain it if we start winning.
Downside is old Wasps regime may have some bitterness with local businesses who have lost money.

But if Ashley doesn't want us??
Solihull should be more realistic.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Barneyhorse

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2022, 01:51:22 PM »

But if Ashley doesn't want us??
Solihull should be more realistic.

Must have missed that !!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2022, 02:13:22 PM »
I wonder what Wasps offered to make it (the hassle and negativity from soccer fans) worthwhile for the owners?

Maybe:

ii. Money.

That won't happen as Moors are ambitious and if promoted will have to play on grass. Witness Sutton United a couple of years back. Non league it was used by the whole community - now solely for SU.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2022, 02:42:38 PM »
Maybe we could ground share with CCFC when they build their new stadium with Warwick University!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2022, 03:31:49 PM »

Maybe:

ii. Money.

That won't happen as Moors are ambitious and if promoted will have to play on grass. Witness Sutton United a couple of years back. Non league it was used by the whole community - now solely for SU.

A fully grass pitch would not last one game with our human bulldozers on it (and not then be unsuitable for soccer).

The Brentford pitch is a Desso Grassmaster woven pitch, which is approved for Premier League play. Between a half and a million to install.

As to the CBSA, it would seem Mr Ashley doesn't want us there, so that is not an option.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2022, 06:34:00 PM »

Agreed, the big business park planned across the A45 from Witney hasn't really progressed.

Will be interesting to see what happens as Thierry wanted to reduce the number of sites JLR had around the midlands.

I had a look at the proposal for Solihull and it's part of the last stage 2025-30 and states it needs current occupiers to be moved elsewhere. Nothing is happening there any time soon.