Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Statement - from Offy  (Read 5851 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Statement - from Offy
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2022, 05:18:32 PM »
Chris Holland is definitely a switched on guy. He ran the development of the EPIC, from the planning application through the design and build through to the launch. I suspect he was heavily involved in funding it too, so he's definitely got Wasps blood in his veins.

Good to hear.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2022, 05:21:33 PM »
I'm so pleased we have made the RFU sliderule, at same time really sorry for Wuss. However the ground is a disaster, Midlands did not work before and won't now. Only hope was to get some of the London based fans back, and build momemtum for a tilt back at the Prem. Damson Park is in the middle of total nowhere, and a missed chance to get back to the old roots . Won't work but the guys in charge look impressive compared to Vaughan, Eastwood, LOL etc, so maybe they have a plan and this is very short term

The RFU has agreed to waive a regulation that would have forced Wasps to remain in Coventry for three years given they do not own or control their own ground. However, by agreeing to waive this, perhaps they insisted that we stay in the Midlands area, thus ruling London out of our plans.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2022, 05:22:50 PM »
I'm so pleased we have made the RFU sliderule, at same time really sorry for Wuss. However the ground is a disaster, Midlands did not work before and won't now. Only hope was to get some of the London based fans back, and build momemtum for a tilt back at the Prem. Damson Park is in the middle of total nowhere, and a missed chance to get back to the old roots . Won't work but the guys in charge look impressive compared to Vaughan, Eastwood, LOL etc, so maybe they have a plan and this is very short term

Moving from the area was never going to happen under RFU rules. You do wonder how many London fans would actually still turn out after such a long time. Probably very few.

Rugby_Mad_Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2022, 05:23:54 PM »
It makes sense to find a ground near the EPIC as the facilities there will not only benefit the team but also be important in attracting players, a move away would waste an asset that could be our jewel in the crown.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2022, 05:36:16 PM »
I also think you need to factor in the context of where we’ve been in terms of the ground. A few months ago we were gone. I’d have snapped your hand off to be confirmed at Solihull. The area has great potential for fan growth as well. Those that have worked to secure it deserve congratulations. Of course people will have personal preferences, probably largely based on ease of getting there but I hope there isn’t much “moaning” about the location and we just appreciate having the club back.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2022, 05:53:29 PM »
I also think you need to factor in the context of where we’ve been in terms of the ground. A few months ago we were gone. I’d have snapped your hand off to be confirmed at Solihull. The area has great potential for fan growth as well. Those that have worked to secure it deserve congratulations. Of course people will have personal preferences, probably largely based on ease of getting there but I hope there isn’t much “moaning” about the location and we just appreciate having the club back.

Faint hope!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2022, 06:15:34 PM »
If JLR do want that land, and are willing to pay the footie club to relocate near the NEC, I am guessing it would be land off the NE corner of the M42 J6 (Bickenhill Interchange), opposite and North of the Motorcycle Museum. There is a large triangle of land there that is not Green Belt and is currently being used by HS2 (the M42, HS2 and the A45 make a triangle of land just there).

Curiously, the 'Interchange' station will be just there. That's supposed to be a 38 minute journey to Euston. Just saying.

Because of the M42, HS2 and the power lines that run over than land, it isn't Green Belt. It has sand pits, a Motorbike trail, all sorts of things.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2022, 06:23:13 PM »
If JLR do want that land, and are willing to pay the footie club to relocate near the NEC, I am guessing it would be land off the NE corner of the M42 J6 (Bickenhill Interchange), opposite and North of the Motorcycle Museum. There is a large triangle of land there that is not Green Belt and is currently being used by HS2 (the M42, HS2 and the A45 make a triangle of land just there).

Curiously, the 'Interchange' station will be just there. That's supposed to be a 38 minute journey to Euston. Just saying.

Because of the M42, HS2 and the power lines that run over than land, it isn't Green Belt. It has sand pits, a Motorbike trail, all sorts of things.

Now that is a nice thought  HS2 station.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2022, 06:24:30 PM »
I don't think Wasps would ever work in London fans wise, and there is not a shred of evidence to suggest it would.
 We almost never hit good crowds the attendence stats are a matter of record. That was not marketing, it was the fact that there were very few union fans in London split 4 ways. There are fewer now. Sadly, I suspect we will be midlands based for ever, if we survive long term, and I would rather that. Being Midlands based would make it easier to attract some of the old crew back. 

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2022, 07:02:01 PM »
A huge, enormous and grateful thank you to all the Legends and their associates.  They must have worked so hard, and to have succeeded  so well is nothing short of miraculous.  I admit that I was beginning to lose hope a couple of weeks ago but today I'm on cloud 9.  To be able to retain the Epic is marvellous isn't it.  Congratulations to Mr Holland for his foresight.  This looks like very long ago planning.  Great.  Thank you all.                   

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2022, 07:19:03 PM »
Elated beyond expression even though many miles to travel before we get to where we all want Wasps to be.  It is a better step than the alternative.  From now on I shall buy only Raging Bull clothing!!  Well done Phil and the others.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2022, 07:47:02 PM »
Elated beyond expression even though many miles to travel before we get to where we all want Wasps to be.  It is a better step than the alternative.  From now on I shall buy only Raging Bull clothing!!  Well done Phil and the others.

Might be the only supplier who will deal with us 🤫

MarleyWasp

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2022, 07:57:45 PM »

Might be the only supplier who will deal with us 🤫

Could do a lot worse.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2022, 11:34:25 AM »
https://bsolihullmoors.runboard.com/

One to watch for infiltration

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2022, 12:57:30 PM »
That is one hard read. The blue and yellow that is. It’s got quite a vintage mid-90s internet look to it as well.

The chat seems relatively friendly so far. So hopefully a good sign. Perhaps the lower leagues attract a more considered type of fan and far fewer, if any at all, of the self-entitled zealots that support larger clubs.