Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Statement - from Offy  (Read 5810 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Statement - from Offy
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2022, 02:41:05 PM »
Pleased to see some Wasps people involved. There's people up top who care about Wasps as a club.
I too am pleased with how this has quietly gone on in the background.
Obviously the next question is coaching, playing and backroom staff required to make this work.
I have no doubt this has been going on quietly in the background too.
Still some work to go but I have more faith that this is being looked at in the background and we shouldn't take silence as a bad thing.
Provided this all does work out, I suppose the Wasps legends are owed a fair few beers at the first home game!?
One person I would be keen to set to work is whoever was spotting Championship talent when we were in the Prem and set them to work looking at the 3rd level. Hopefully we’ll get one or 2 of the old stars back and some of the squad players eg Josh, Frosty etc but we’re going to need some relatively cheap depth. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2022, 02:57:03 PM »
Lee with his Championship knowledge would have been ideal but I suspect he might stay where he has gone. Neil Fowkes with his Championship pedigree hasn't (as far as I know) popped up anywhere.

Players - I suspect Josh is making himself a nice fixture at Queens but people like Cruse may be returnees. We will have to see.

What a bloody good Christmas Present. Thanks to all involved - make it really happen please!!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2022, 03:01:22 PM »
Lee with his Championship knowledge would have been ideal but I suspect he might stay where he has gone. Neil Fowkes with his Championship pedigree hasn't (as far as I know) popped up anywhere.

Players - I suspect Josh is making himself a nice fixture at Queens but people like Cruse may be returnees. We will have to see.

What a bloody good Christmas Present. Thanks to all involved - make it really happen please!!!
I'll 2nd that.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 03:02:08 PM »
BBC -

Wasps: Ex-director Christopher Holland is named owner of Coventry-based club

Last updated on

2 minutes ago2 minutes ago.From the section Rugby Union
Wasps' season came to an early end at the Coventry Building Society Arena in October
Wasps' season came to an early end at the Coventry Building Society Arena in October

Wasps have announced that Christopher Holland - formerly a non-executive director - has become the new owner of the currently Coventry-based club.

The announcement comes on the day that the Rugby Football Union granted the relegated ex-Premiership club permission to resume playing next season in the Championship.

Wasps satisfied RFU requirements, although Worcester were refused.

Holland's purchase of Wasps has been made in the name of HALO22 Limited.

The club said in a statement: "HALO22 Limited, a company owned by Christopher Holland, recently completed the purchase of the intellectual property, history and memorabilia of Wasps RFC, a transaction that saw the club exit administration."

Wasps have appointed Andy Scott, former chief executive of 188Bet and interim chief executive of the Wasps Legends Charitable Foundation, as their new CEO - with support from former players including former Scotland winger Kenny Logan and Peter Scrivener.

Holland, who first joined the old Wasps board as non-executive director in 2017, said: "As the new custodian of Wasps, I am fully aware of the responsibilities I have to its supporters, history and heritage. I do not underestimate that duty."

He has more than 30 years' experience in law enforcement and risk management, and has previously worked with the Ministry of Defence, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's and B&Q.

Scott added: "We are proud and delighted to secure the future of this great club.

"Wasps is a famous and highly regarded name in the history of English and European rugby and while this is a new venture and a fresh start, it is fundamentally built on the same values that brought the club success and respect in its heyday."

Wasps had debts totalling £95m when they went into administration in October, but the offer from the consortium including members of the club's Legends Group was accepted at the end of October.

It has since come under the scrutiny of the RFU's financial viability group.

The Wasps bid does not include the women's team. They are a separate club and will continue to play as part of the amateur side Wasps FC.

More to follow.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 03:20:31 PM »
What's the EPIC stuff?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 03:23:26 PM »
Training ground name.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 03:49:53 PM »
Wasps quit Coventry for... Solihull
Damson Park, the home of Solihull Moors Football Club, is close to being announced as Wasps’ new ground

By
Ben Rumsby
16 December 2022 • 3:16pm
Wasps will quit Coventry and plan to move to Solihull after being parachuted into next season’s Championship.

Telegraph Sport can reveal the former European champions’ new owners have chosen to relocate after holding initial talks with Mike Ashley’s Frasers Group, which bought the Coventry Building Society Arena when the club were plunged into administration.

Damson Park, the home of Solihull Moors Football Club, is close to being announced as Wasps’ new ground as they bid to make an immediate return to the Premiership after being thrown out over their financial collapse.

With a capacity of 5,500, it is almost six times smaller than the CBS Arena but would arguably be better suited to the club’s current circumstances.

Telegraph Sport has been told the Rugby Football Union has agreed to waive a regulation that would have forced Wasps to remain in Coventry for three years given they do not own or control their own ground.

Wasps, founded and based in London for most of their 156-year history, made the controversial move to the Midlands eight years ago, raising £35 million through a bond scheme to buy a 250-year lease on the CBS Arena.

Talks with Frasers Group were said not to have progressed to how much the club would be charged for staying put.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 03:50:15 PM »
Sorry also on other thread

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 04:05:48 PM »
Looking on Google Earth, there ain't much parking. Probably none when you factor in the players, coaches and owners etc.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 04:28:10 PM »
Apparently the ground is owned by JLR who want the land to develop but have indicated they will build a new ground potentially near the NEC.
Another whisper is Solihull B C are keen on Wasps ( I find this strange given CCC experience- new owners though).

Rumours on twatter only but if you look at the Google Earth view, it is between two huge JLR buildings.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 04:39:32 PM by Neils »

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 04:45:45 PM »
In goal area looks a bit on the small side.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2022, 04:49:54 PM »
Always had faith that The Legends would deliver the best possible outcome for us all if anyone could given the very trying circumstances.
I know there have been lots of hurdles to overcome and in my opinion, they all deserve our best support going forward.
It would be great to see some "old" faces back and also some new talent, but it will be tough I'm sure to start with.
Great news to start the weekend and Christmas week with. :)

Sussex Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2022, 04:56:06 PM »
I'm so pleased we have made the RFU sliderule, at same time really sorry for Wuss. However the ground is a disaster, Midlands did not work before and won't now. Only hope was to get some of the London based fans back, and build momemtum for a tilt back at the Prem. Damson Park is in the middle of total nowhere, and a missed chance to get back to the old roots . Won't work but the guys in charge look impressive compared to Vaughan, Eastwood, LOL etc, so maybe they have a plan and this is very short term

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 05:13:39 PM »
Chris Holland is definitely a switched on guy. He ran the development of the EPIC, from the planning application through the design and build through to the launch. I suspect he was heavily involved in funding it too, so he's definitely got Wasps blood in his veins.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 05:18:13 PM »
However the ground is a disaster, Midlands did not work before and won't now.

You may or may not be correct, but RFU rules would never have allowed a move back to London. If the JLR site is indeed where Wasps end up playing that is bending the RFU rules as it is.