Always a Wasp

Author Topic: marler  (Read 3619 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
marler
« on: December 31, 2022, 10:27:27 AM »
Jo Marler given 6 week ban with 4 suspended.
Marler has plenty of previous for this sort of thing and lets face it he's doing it to get a reaction with the possibility of getting a fellow rugby player sent off, and he sometimes gets away with it, as we saw in the Hask Marler incident, he comes across in the media as a nice cheeky chappy but I think what he does is very cynical and is deserving of a longer punishment.
The sad thing is he doesn't need to do it, he's a very good rugby player, must say something about his mindset. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: marler
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »
Jo Marler given 6 week ban with 4 suspended.
Marler has plenty of previous for this sort of thing and lets face it he's doing it to get a reaction with the possibility of getting a fellow rugby player sent off, and he sometimes gets away with it, as we saw in the Hask Marler incident, he comes across in the media as a nice cheeky chappy but I think what he does is very cynical and is deserving of a longer punishment.
The sad thing is he doesn't need to do it, he's a very good rugby player, must say something about his mindset.

If you read his autobiography you get an idea about his mindset.

Two things about his punishment -
1 - it is about time the punishment process actually reflected the crime AND without reductions for charidee work etc.
2 - is it not about time well known (and not so) players saw going out into schools etc as a task they should perform to raise the profile of rugby. NOT as a punishment!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »
For me Marler’s on field antics are predictable and unfunny. I think the ruling needed less words and more time in the stands.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 11:30:10 AM »
I haven't yet heard exactly what was said, but supposedly it was a 'Your Mum' type comment.  Childish and unneccessary and only caused the reaction it did because the guys Mum is unwell and in hospital back home in NZ.

If that is the case and if Marler didn't know this then a couple of weeks on the sidelines seems fair.  We can't keep on trying to steralise the game to death.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »
I haven't yet heard exactly what was said, but supposedly it was a 'Your Mum' type comment.  Childish and unneccessary and only caused the reaction it did because the guys Mum is unwell and in hospital back home in NZ.

If that is the case and if Marler didn't know this then a couple of weeks on the sidelines seems fair.  We can't keep on trying to steralise the game to death.

I wonder how Marler would have taken it if someone had said that his Mum was a 5 bob up against the wall knee trembler merchant?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 01:45:32 PM »
Sorry IBW, but while I agree wholeheartedly with the other poster's comments I can't agree with yours  Agree that he is good enough not to need to have to wind up the oppo.  (I've seen him drag Ashley along by the hair and go unpunished) and get them sent off.  But he has been getting away with it for years;  I find him deeply UNlovable.  It's long  overdue that his behaviour is seen for what it is  -  unacceptable, unnecessary and unsporting.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 02:29:06 PM »
+ 1 Wonky.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 04:35:13 PM »
+2

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 10:25:07 PM »

I wonder how Marler would have taken it if someone had said that his Mum was a 5 bob up against the wall knee trembler merchant?

Probably the same or worse reaction.

I remember someone in the west stand giving him some verbals a few seasons back and him making his way into the stand to have it out with said spectator.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 07:49:44 AM by andermt »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 10:06:31 AM »
It's even more distasteful - well it is for me - as he knows he can too often get away with it. Mainly because retaliation is - for some reason - looked upon as the same, if not worse than the initiator's conduct.

I'm sure many of us are from a playing era where if someone was talking the talk, they'd better be able to walk the walk. My Uni used to play a few military teams that were up for a bit of verbals and more and you had to stand your ground (i.e. you'd have thumped someone) Then, the officials basically had the attitude that if you got smacked it was your own fault

Whilst not condoning violence....he's have found "talking" to say one of our more famous front rowers to played for England from the mid 80's to early 90's a rather more painful experience....And one not to be repeated.

Hence, sanctions on players who do indulge ought to be a deterrence.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 11:59:21 AM »

Might be in the minority, and Marler is a pillock, but I generally agree with this. Full audio here: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-full-ref-mic-audio-of-what-joe-marler-said-to-jake-heenan/

Transcript:
Jake Heenan: ‘Hey, brother, you’re better than that, hey?’

Joe Marler: ‘I’m not your brother. I’m clearly not your brother am I.’

Heenan: ‘You’re better than that mate’

Marler: ‘There’s no way I’m from the same mother as you. Your mother is a ****ing whore.

[players were audibly taken aback by comments. Heenan says something to the referee Karl Dickson about what Marler which sounds like ‘He said my mum was a whore to my face’]

Marler [again]: ‘Your mother’s a whore’

At this point the scuffle breaks out with some inaudible exchanges.

Now if Marler knew his mum was in hospital with cancer and so used the reference intentionally then I agree its despicable, but otherwise it's pretty schoolboy stuff and wouldn't normally be expected to lead to a punch up.

Dickson says he didn't hear it which is staggering given he was right next to them.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 01:11:19 PM »
If anyone anywhere had called my mother that I'd have knocked them out cold, regardless of hospital or not.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 03:38:58 PM »
I'm reminded of the late Patrick Swayze as Dalton, the 2nd best cooler in the world (Wade Garrett's still the best, Wade Garrett's getting old, he's still the best), in RoadHouse having read that transcript.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 04:34:30 PM »
If anyone anywhere had called my mother that I'd have knocked them out cold, regardless of hospital or not.
Really? Any random idiot could force you to punch them by spouting some nonsense?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 04:54:41 PM »
Really? Any random idiot could force you to punch them by spouting some nonsense?

I must point out that Marler in this context is not some random idiot.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!