Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Salt in wounds  (Read 2094 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Salt in wounds
« on: January 13, 2023, 11:05:12 PM »
Following us folding I, along with many, have found it hard to watch/get enthused about the game. As if to rub salt in the wounds the games I’ve watched seem to always have ex Wasps being absolutely outstanding! Admittedly I am choosing games solely because they have ex Wasps in but Atkinson, Bassett, Robson, J Willis, T Willis, Odogwu, Cruse, Ryan and Umaga have all looked brilliant for their new clubs. And watching Tigers hold out v Clermont tonight thanks in part to a couple of ex Wasps just made me realise how much I miss being invested in a game. Roll on next season when we can hopefully wholeheartedly back a team again whatever it’s make up.

MartinB - Radnage Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Salt in wounds
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 11:14:18 PM »
I agree with you so closely Shugs. I have no interest in rugby at present and it really hurts to see our guys out there in different teams. All power to them but it is that horrible feeling of what might have been with a team with so much potential.
I am so hoping we can afford/attract a core of some of that team and wonder when we will start to hear who might be managing and playing for us next season. 

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 07:03:40 AM »
It is hard watching our ex players with other teams, and their performances only show we were building a young squad that over the next year or 2 should have been competing to win silverware. However I also take huge heart that they are still playing and achieving wherever they are.

Like others I cannot watch the league, and have not since we folded, and this is the first time since we formed the league structure that I do not know what position teams are in.

However with the mess that our club ended up in, the reset is so important, and the fact we are being bought by Wasps legends rather than a anonymous business/rich benefactor allows our heritage and values as a club to survive. Our soul if you will is saved.

I hope we get back to the top, pushing for domestic and European honours. But I truly look forward to going to smaller grounds, where you can stand by the pitch, beer in hand with wonderful families and supporters from clubs like Coventry, Richmond, London Scottish etc, and share time with fellow Waspies once more. In the quest for professionalism some of these wonderful experiences were lost in the 90’s and I for one am looking forward greatly to enjoying it once more.

So when we are back, let’s dig our black and gold scarfs out and show everyone how special it is being a Wasp!

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 07:35:25 AM »
Me too

I've tried, really tried, to watch club games in recent weeks but I really couldn't give a tuppeny damn who wins or loses, which was frequently a driving factor.

It feels like when I was made redundant years ago, you know that other people are still doing that thing you can no longer do but you cannot summon up the enthusiasm to take any sort of interest in it.

Especially when some of them who are still doing it employed less than scrupulously fair means to still be doing it.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 09:26:33 AM »
I've gone off the prem because of us folding, but also I just cannot bring myself to watch the lads, in particular our academy lads, play for other prem teams. There's no doubt in my mind Tom Willis is going to crush it for Sarries and suddenly everyone will say he needs to play for England. Bit frustrating how that's after he's gone to Saracens, but still.

God it hurts to think about all this still.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 11:15:57 AM »
Watch French or the pro 14 celtic league in disguise.
Personally, I watched internationals, and I have watched some of the Welsh regions. I have not watched any Euro or prem. At all.
I don't want to preach, or tell others what to do, but this is my reasoning
If everyone who watched Wasps tunes in to Glaws v Sarries, BT don't get stung, and the value of Wasps to their viewing figures is zero. If they take a dent, the value of Wasps fans is clear. So I don't watch. I want clubs to suffer for the absence if Wasps because I they don't they are more likely to ring fence us out. At that point I won't even watch us in the championship, because if we are frozen out permanently that is it.
Fwiw, I miss the prem and can and have increased my viewing of soccer a little, but there is a huge gap. But all I can do right now is remove myself from the club game in England.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 12:04:14 PM »
Watch French or the pro 14 celtic league in disguise.
Personally, I watched internationals, and I have watched some of the Welsh regions. I have not watched any Euro or prem. At all.
I don't want to preach, or tell others what to do, but this is my reasoning
If everyone who watched Wasps tunes in to Glaws v Sarries, BT don't get stung, and the value of Wasps to their viewing figures is zero. If they take a dent, the value of Wasps fans is clear. So I don't watch. I want clubs to suffer for the absence if Wasps because I they don't they are more likely to ring fence us out. At that point I won't even watch us in the championship, because if we are frozen out permanently that is it.
Fwiw, I miss the prem and can and have increased my viewing of soccer a little, but there is a huge gap. But all I can do right now is remove myself from the club game in England.

+1 URC & Top 14 here.  Everytime I find myself viewing (short period) PRL I get angry.
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »
I think I will be watching more Top 14 in the future. I haven't watched any Premiership rugby since Wasps were booted and I've not watched any England game. Its probably wrong of me, but I've found myself willing England to lose.

Any interest in the Prem will be based on Wasps inclusion. Otherwise, I'll stick to the Championship, if that's where Wasps stay.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 12:10:43 AM »
Here’s another reason to stop watching PRL and English rugby - proof not only that the RFU are corrupt, but that they apply rules on the basis of who you are, not what you do.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jan/14/rfu-intervenes-steve-borthwick-pick-owen-farrell-six-nations-squad-england-scotland?utm_term=63c33b01b4b6b052a40ff5c017a80d6b&utm_campaign=GuardianAustraliaSports&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=ausport_email

So much for player welfare. So much for impending lawsuits, the English game is rotten.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 12:12:19 AM by Andywasp50 »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 08:12:23 AM »
Plus 1  with everybody and everything above.  Been quite depressed really.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 09:04:08 AM »
And in the Telegraph too -

Exclusive: Owen Farrell to be named England captain for Six Nations after controversial ban ruling

Farrell cleared to play in the opening game against Scotland
By Gavin Mairs, Chief Rugby Union Correspondent and Charlie Morgan, Senior Rugby Writer 14 January 2023 • 7:28pm

Owen Farrell is expected to be unveiled on Monday as England’s captain for the Six Nations after being controversially cleared to play in the opening game against Scotland, Telegraph Sport understands.

Steve Borthwick, the new England head coach, has been given the all-clear to select Farrell after the Rugby Football Union on Saturday took the unusual step of confirming his availability for Saracens’ Premiership match against Bristol Bears on Jan 28.

The move thereby ensures that the 31-year-old’s ban for a dangerous tackle on Gloucester back-row forward Jack Clement will elapse in time for the Calcutta Cup match at Twickenham on Feb 4.

Farrell is currently serving a four-match ban that could be reduced to three if he completes World Rugby’s coaching intervention programme. It is understood that Borthwick and his new defence coach Kevin Sinfield have also left Farrell in no doubt about what is expected from him and his side in terms of both discipline and tackle height.

Courtney Lawes, who had succeeded Farrell as captain under former England head coach Eddie Jones, is also set to be named in Borthwick’s first Six Nations squad having recovered from injury problems that ruled him out of the Autumn Nations Series.

However, Farrell is expected by his England team-mates to continue as captain having led England during all four autumn Tests during Lawes’ absence, despite the side winning just once, against Japan - a record that cost Jones his job.

Lawes took over as England captain during the tour of Australia last summer, a decision that had left Farrell “very unhappy” according to Jones, who had picked the Saracens player as skipper for the previous four years when selected.

It is thought that the Northampton forward will instead now be part of a strong leadership group that will also include Bristol prop Ellis Genge, who Borthwick had appointed as captain of Leicester last season before his move back to the south-west.

Borthwick is thought to be an admirer of the trio’s no-nonsense leadership attributes as he seeks to bring a combative edge to the side that had lost their way in the last two seasons under Jones.

The RFU intervention on Saturday afternoon in writing to Saracens to confirm Farrell’s availability for a game he is not likely to have played in opened the governing body up to accusations of cynicism for effectively exploiting a loophole to ensure his availability but at least it took the decision out of Borthwick’s hands.

The awkward position arose because of ambiguity over which matches should be considered ‘meaningful’ enough to count towards a sanction. Were he named in the England squad, Farrell would almost certainly have missed Saracens’ match against Bristol.

Because the England squad had not yet been named, though, the RFU’s disciplinary panel counted that Bristol game as part of Farrell’s ban. There is scope to revisit a ban if a player’s circumstances change – for instance, in the event that they are selected in an England squad – but the RFU’s latest statement would appear to be an attempt to bypass this process.

While the episode will leave a sour taste for many, loopholes regarding ‘meaningful’ matches are not confined to England availability. Just last November, a panel ruled that two matches in the space of two days – a fixture against the Barbarians and a Premiership Cup match against Sale Sharks – could comprise a suspension for Nick David, the Harlequins full-back, following a dangerous tackle.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 09:08:31 AM »
I can’t stop watching rugby, I’m not having the x Wasps board take that away from me as well.

I find it difficult to watch Tigers and Sarries if I think they will easily win, watching them lose is fun. The news about Tom going to Sarries was really difficult, Jack likely to follow and parents get a new house.

I’m so not convinced that we will be back in the premiership and with launchbury going to Quins I would love to see him win some silverware as he deserves it.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »
Just one new house?? 

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 09:46:28 AM »
I was watching BT when they discussed the Farrell "ruling" and I agree that it stinks. If he's allowed to be selected and as captain, I'm supporting France.

Demonstrates that player welfare means damn all if those who carry the responsibility for player discipline and so safety - cynically exploit the rules so that a player can be selected for the national team.

I've been hoping I might regain my interest in England after Jones left - but this makes it very hard.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 09:53:04 AM »
I was watching BT when they discussed the Farrell "ruling" and I agree that it stinks. If he's allowed to be selected and as captain, I'm supporting France.

Demonstrates that player welfare means damn all if those who carry the responsibility for player discipline and so safety - cynically exploit the rules so that a player can be selected for the national team.

I've been hoping I might regain my interest in England after Jones left - but this makes it very hard.....

This, exactly this.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here