Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Time for positivity.  (Read 23345 times)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Time for positivity.
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2023, 11:28:03 AM »
Just on BBC:

Worcester Warriors have withdrawn their proposal to play in the Championship next season and will rebrand the club as Sixways Rugby, says owners Atlas.

Warriors had been given until 14 February to meet Rugby Football Union criteria to play in the second tier.

But Jim O'Toole, who led the Atlas takeover alongside James Sandford, said they have pulled out of talks.

"There were a number of key clauses in the contract that we couldn't sign," said O'Toole.

He told BBC Hereford & Worcestershire: "This decision will clearly upset and annoy a number of people.

"The sad fact of life is that the Worcester Warriors brand and the Worcester Warriors business is gone.

"The name sadly will disappear. We are rebranding as Sixways Rugby."

The new club will instead partner with fourth-tier side Stourbridge, who ex-Warriors chief executive O'Toole says will play at Sixways for the rest of the season.

I'll post my thoughts on this on the dedicated thread.

But, with WW coming out with this news in good time before the deadline, it does give me an inkling of hope that something good is going on in the background at Wasps (I might be alone in this thought and that's perfectly OK!)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2023, 11:29:09 AM »
Interesting. even with Warriors going, I can't see the RFU or Wasps new owners thinking moving into Sixways would be a good idea, for the reasons discussed above.
Can't see either Stourbridge RFC or the Womens Warriors team getting much of a crowd so the atmosphere & cashflow arent going to be great....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2023, 11:31:52 AM »
Just on BBC:

Worcester Warriors have withdrawn their proposal to play in the Championship next season and will rebrand the club as Sixways Rugby, says owners Atlas.

Warriors had been given until 14 February to meet Rugby Football Union criteria to play in the second tier.

But Jim O'Toole, who led the Atlas takeover alongside James Sandford, said they have pulled out of talks.

"There were a number of key clauses in the contract that we couldn't sign," said O'Toole.

He told BBC Hereford & Worcestershire: "This decision will clearly upset and annoy a number of people.

"The sad fact of life is that the Worcester Warriors brand and the Worcester Warriors business is gone.

"The name sadly will disappear. We are rebranding as Sixways Rugby."

The new club will instead partner with fourth-tier side Stourbridge, who ex-Warriors chief executive O'Toole says will play at Sixways for the rest of the season.

I'll post my thoughts on this on the dedicated thread.

But, with WW coming out with this news in good time before the deadline, it does give me an inkling of hope that something good is going on in the background at Wasps (I might be alone in this thought and that's perfectly OK!)

I take a little hope (effectively two and a half working days) from the Logan interview. That suggests things are still being done.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2023, 05:35:59 PM »
OT - but my Footy club just offered me Season Tickets for 23/24.

We need to get moving  :) :)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2023, 08:34:26 PM »
Yes, time flies doesn?t it. When you start thinking ticket sales you realise how total our lack of infrastructure is. It?s possible we may rely entirely on pre match sales and walk up.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2023, 10:40:55 PM »
I did predict end of this month for an announcement. I still think that it is achievable.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2023, 10:49:35 PM »
I did predict end of this month for an announcement. I still think that it is achievable.

It should have been the middle of this week but I think the Atlas shenanigans on Saturday may have changed things a tad.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2023, 07:06:40 AM »

It should have been the middle of this week but I think the Atlas shenanigans on Saturday may have changed things a tad.
It certainly can't have helped. Given the way that the new Wasps owners have been approaching this I'm sure they would want to make any announcement on their terms, with their timings and with statements signed off by all stakeholders eg suppliers, ground owners, anyone sharing facilities etc.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2023, 09:44:51 AM »
Tenuous I think but Scrivs had a working breakfast with Diamond at Caldy RFC yesterday. Coincidence or what?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2023, 10:18:07 AM »
Tenuous I think but Scrivs had a working breakfast with Diamond at Caldy RFC yesterday. Coincidence or what?

So whats your theory Neils?

Wasp Legends to buy Warriors then sell on to Diamonds consortium but with a deal to play matches at Caldy?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2023, 10:49:08 AM »

Wasp Legends to buy Warriors then sell on to Diamonds consortium but with a deal to play matches at Caldy?

No theories just waiting.
Really hope we are not involved with Atlas and if we have to then only a pitch loan! Caldy suggestion is plain stupid sorry. To bloody far for most to travel.
The fact that one of our new board and the old WW DoR met is probably coincidence but worth noting and would have been nice to be a fly on the wall because the situation must have been talked about privately.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »
Dimes as DOR for New Wasps!!!!!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2023, 11:39:05 AM »

No theories just waiting.
Really hope we are not involved with Atlas and if we have to then only a pitch loan! Caldy suggestion is plain stupid sorry. To bloody far for most to travel.
The fact that one of our new board and the old WW DoR met is probably coincidence but worth noting and would have been nice to be a fly on the wall because the situation must have been talked about privately.

It wasn't a private breakfast meeting, Dimes was guest speaker at the clubs business breakfast.

https://twitter.com/peter_scrivener/status/1628711368613404673?t=lv93uQkoHXjhSFOM2jDtEA&s=19

Peter Scrivener tweets about Caldy quite often, he lists his twitter locations as London and the Wirral.

https://twitter.com/peter_scrivener/status/1627018188247506944?t=5DAm6jciEitdF5PtXRrWxg&s=19

Although without random transfer rumours to create at the moment we take anything to fill the void as you say!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2023, 11:43:16 AM »
I wasn't being entirely serious :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2023, 11:56:26 AM »
If you read - I said a working breakfast!

My second comment was that it would be unusual not to have had a private discussion between two people involved in the debacle.