Always a Wasp

Author Topic: WW look to be moving forward.  (Read 4159 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
WW look to be moving forward.
« on: January 30, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »
A brief exchange with
@BegbiesTrnGroup
 Julie Palmer this morning confirmed that news could be with us 'early this week'.

It's been over 2 weeks since deadline for new/improved bids closed.
@WorcsWarriors
 running out of time to compete in Champ. #COYW
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: WW look to be moving forward.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:08:10 PM »
Hopefully it's good news!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:59:48 AM »
Article in today's Daily Telegraph.

Wasps and Worcester future thrown into fresh doubt

The future of Wasps and Worcester Warriors have been plunged into fresh doubt after the Rugby Football Union announced neither had met conditions imposed on their new ownership.

The RFU issued a ?final deadline? of February 14 for the stricken clubs to comply hours after Worcester had been sold to buyers whose takeover it had previously refused to approve.

As well as repeating its reasons for vetoing Atlas Worcester Warriors Rugby Football Club Limited?s application for Warriors to re-join the rugby pyramid next season, the RFU revealed Wasps had failed to meet all the conditions imposed on a rescue deal it had provisionally sanctioned.

It said in a statement: ?The RFU has informed the new owners of Wasps RFC, and the administrators of WRFC Trading Limited (the main operating entity of Worcester Warriors RFC) that they have until 14 February to conclude their negotiations and provide evidence that they have met the relevant conditions set. This is a significant extension to the original mid-December timeline to provide the clubs with the best possible chance of being in the Championship next year. However, a final deadline must be set to provide certainty to the Championship and National League clubs, players and other rugby stakeholders over the format of next season.

?In the case of Wasps, the RFU board conditionally approved the takeover, but not all the conditions set have yet been met, including the lodging of a bond and the signing of an agreement which commits the new club to the relevant conditions. Both would need to be done by the deadline for the approval to remain in place.

?The proposed buyers of Worcester Warriors had informed the RFU that they were not prepared to meet the conditions set, which included commitments not to dispose of land around Sixways Stadium without approval and were unable to satisfy the RFU of the sources and sufficiency of funding. The RFU was not able to confirm the suitability of the prospective owners. Therefore, the RFU board was unable to approve their application. If that position changes within the deadline, the RFU will be able to reconsider whether the application can be approved, but if not, then unfortunately the RFU decision will remain the same.?

The statement followed an announcement by Worcester?s administrators, Begbies Traynor, that it had exchanged contracts with Atlas, which is fronted by former Warriors chief executive Jim O?Toole and backed by US investors.

Joint administrator Julie Palmer, who was legally-bound to strike the best deal for the club?s creditors even if that did not involve the return of rugby to Sixways, said: ?Following a complex process, we are now able to progress the sale of Worcester Warriors and associated assets to Atlas Worcester Warriors Rugby Football Club Limited.

?This is an exclusive contractual position and Atlas are committed to completing this transaction as early as possible.

?We are delighted to see that there is a clear plan in place to deliver both rugby and many other exciting community-focused initiatives to Sixways befitting the fabulous facilities.?

Make what you will of that.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 09:07:56 AM »
so from that it would seem both clubs can be/have been sold, but neither currently meet the RFU's conditions so won't be able to play in the Champ, or anywhere?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 09:15:09 AM »
Sounds like we haven?t got tje funding lined up yet.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 10:49:22 AM »
Shame the article doesn't go into what conditions the new Wasps haven't met, other than not signing an agreement saying they agree to the (mysterious) conditions.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 11:02:31 AM »
One of the key ones was paying back rugby creditors and as the article states they have to place a bond with thee RFU.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 11:19:09 AM »
There was an interesting comment on 5 Live this morning. O'Toole was being interviewed and he said that he was determined to bring elite level rugby back to Sixways with or without the RFU.  I have been wondering what that meant all morning. I am wondering if I misheard...could they be looking at the UC or France?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 11:38:27 AM »
There was an interesting comment on 5 Live this morning. O'Toole was being interviewed and he said that he was determined to bring elite level rugby back to Sixways with or without the RFU.  I have been wondering what that meant all morning. I am wondering if I misheard...could they be looking at the UC or France?

They can't.  The RFU has jurisdiction on what rugby can be played within England and I doubt they would allow a club to play in an external league. Notwithstanding the other leagues are unlikely to welcome the upset to the RFU.
Yesterday this came from their American backer.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 12:19:35 PM »
I wonder if there is any reason why the RFU has to have sole jurisdiction?  The RFL have teams from across the globe playing in their leagues, so why not Union?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 12:31:32 PM »

They can't.  The RFU has jurisdiction on what rugby can be played within England and I doubt they would allow a club to play in an external league. Notwithstanding the other leagues are unlikely to welcome the upset to the RFU.
Yesterday this came from their American backer.
Are these American backers rich enough and driven enough to become Rugby's Packer?

Nobody thought there was enough money in cricket for Packer and whether or not you agree that it was a success or even desired, he certainly changed the nature of cricket.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 12:53:54 PM »
This is a significant extension to the original mid-December timeline to provide the clubs with the best possible chance of being in the Championship next year.

Maybe reading too much into it, but might "next year" rather than "next season" mean in time for the 2024-25 season? A more realistic target.

Let's face it, the rest of the Championship already have probably 80-90% of their playing and coaching groups for next season already in place, and not only that, they are already training and playing together and have been for some time. Wasps and Wuss cannot begin to compete with that starting from scratch in February (at best).

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 01:47:37 PM »

They can't.  The RFU has jurisdiction on what rugby can be played within England and I doubt they would allow a club to play in an external league...... .....

The RFU has jurisdiction over its members. But I don't see how the they could claim any legal right to disallow an independent business from forming a non-affiliated club to play in another league?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 01:49:33 PM »

They can't.  The RFU has jurisdiction on what rugby can be played within England and I doubt they would allow a club to play in an external league...... .....

The RFU has jurisdiction over its members. But I don't see how the they could claim any legal right to disallow an independent business from forming a non-affiliated club to play in another league?

It is apparently a World Rugby ruling so any other party that accepts such a team will find themselves under sanction - most wouldn't risk it.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 02:20:09 PM »
THe odds against us playing next season must be lengthening as each day passes - 12 days (and counting) to deliver an acceptable proposal to the RFU.

As a consequence of RFU comment, my optimism is beginning to wane as each day passes.

I can always hope that the outcome WILL be positive!!!